• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: LrC 12.2.1 fails to start/launch or is extremely slow launching.

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

LRC 12.2.1 is not starting anymore, just launches as a background process using significant amounts of RAM and CPU, but the visible window never shows up. 

I have already:

- Tried the alt-shift-click thingie.

- Tried logging out and in from CC.

- Wiping all data files from the computer and letting LRC create a fresh Lightroom folder and catalog file (sometimes it does that, sometimes it hangs before the folder is created). 

- Wiping all Adobe products with the cleaner tool and reinstalling just LRC.

- I have even formatted and reisntalled the computer (becuase it was a good time to do that anyway).

But LRC still fails. What to do next?

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎17.‎03.‎2023
OS build 19045.2728
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

One of our Prerelease Testers has a bug logged for this and we've referenced this thread to that existing bug. 

Workaround:
The team has verified this workaround has no risks. Until we can release an update, please follow these steps:

• Close LrC if open
    (the file will not show if Lightroom is open)

• Locate metrics.json file at this location: 

Mac: /Users/<username>/Library/Caches/Adobe/Lightroom/metrics.json
    (Note that Mac has two Libraries
    Make sure you are in the User Library and not the System
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Greetings all,

Updates for Adobe Photography products have been released.  The April 2023 updates contain a final fix for this issue. After installing 12.3 it should be no longer necessary to monitor and delete the metrics.json file.

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 438 Replies 438
438 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2023 Apr 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, on pc, the latest version 12.2.1 won't start. I tried a clean install did't work, i tried older version the same, only ehen i reach 11.5 version worked. Why adobe won't fix this it's been 3 days for me now, an i see people with more than 7 days with this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also encountered the issue of Lightroom Classic 12.2.1 failing to open on my PC running Windows 11. I returned from several weeks away and updated Lightroom Classic and the other Adobe programs in my 20GB Photography plan, before importing approximately 5000 images. I deleted some unusable images, added keywords and then started to process some of the images in the Develop module. I decided to edit one in Topaz AI, which advised me that there was an upgrade available, so I closed Lightroom Classic and ran the Topaz AI upgrade.

On completing the Topaz upgrade to 1.2.9, Lightroom Classic would not reopen. The blue circle was displayed briefly but the splash screen did not appear. Windows Task Manager showed that Lightroom Classic was running, so I closed it and moved the lrcat-lock, -shm and -wal files to the recycle bin, reset preferences and tried unsuccessfully to restart. Some time later I returned to my PC and noticed that Lightroom Classic had reopened so I optimised the catalog and processed several more images. I saw that 4 images appeared to have stuck in the synch process so I selected the option to 'rebuild synch data' under 'Preferences' and the Lightroom Classic screen closed and failed to reopen.

After researching the issue in the Adobe Support Community and 'Lightroomqueen' forums, I have turned off the option to share information with Adobe in the Creative Cloud Desktop, restarted my PC and deleted the file 'metrics.json' file as recommended and I am pleased to find that Lightroom Classic now appears to be working again. Thank you to all for the advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All,

Just as an FYI... 

If you remove the JSON File without reseting your Adobe Preferences and everything is working  the issue WILL RETURN.

Initially on my personal install of Lightroom I only removed the JSON file and everything worked for a week but this afternoon after a reboot the issue came back.

!!! - After removing the JSON file even if everything is working set your Adobe Preferences (See Screenshot) - CES

Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 12.08.50 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@evan.sante, "After removing the JSON file even if everything is working set your Adobe Preferences"

Yes, that's the first step in the workaround -- see here for the complete list of steps:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-lrc-12-2-1-fails-to-start-launch-or-is-extre...

A number of people have reported that the option Share Information On How I Use Adobe Desktop App has been getting turned back on automatically after they turned off.  It's been turned back on for me four times in the last week or so.

So it's entirely possible that's what happened to you -- it got turned back on, and when you restarted LR, it picked up the new value of the option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So could I, I could even use light room but classic would crash. 

the only give away was when starting up the laptop screen would go black for a couple seconds after it started up 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to say that this is working for me, thank you. I had LR running on a new profile (Win11) and as soon as I ran a new photo import I started having the same startup issues. Once I deleted the metrics.json file I was able to get LR to load on both profiles (deleting the file under each user account).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you get an example of the metrics.json file?  If you need I can supply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Howsiett Thank you. We did already obtain a file from another customer. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to start Lightroom Classic 12.2.1 on my iMac (2019, 48 GB Memory, 1 TB HD about 50% used, Ventura 13.2+13.3), the program takes about 3 hours to start. Starting time does not depend on catatlog used. My catalog files are located in folders named "~/Pictures/History.20XY" 

The last time I could start the program normally a catalog was opened that is setup to synchronise collections with adobe cloud storage to allow access by Lightroom Mobile/iPad. When I changed the catalog in the UI, the subsequent starting took so long that I stopped program. After that incident any starting attempt eventually succeeds but takes 2-3 hours.

I tried to 1) re-login in Adobe Account (Foto subscription), 2) de-installed and re-installed LR CC, 3) Opened LR CC while holding Shift + Options and selected to use new settings but nothing helped

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the support
The following Cache file was really quite big

$ du -sh ~/Library/Caches/Adobe/Lightroom/metrics.json | awk '{ print $1 }'

8,9G

And deleting it solved my problem. But I guess you better contact support before deleting such unknown files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"But I guess you better contact support before deleting such unknown files."

The post by Adobe employee Rikk Flohr referred to by Ian says, "The team has verified this workaround has no risks."

In general, many of us here would recommend not contacting Adobe support. They are untrustworthy and often give nonsense (and sometimes destructive) answers for all but the most routine issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great that your issue was resolved. While 8GB is a lot, it falls short of the 30+ GB at least one user reported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oi!

acabei de comprar um notebook novo, usava um lenovo e migrei para um macbook air m1 2020 (OS ventura 13.3 - 8gb de ram - 256gb).

ontem instalei o lightroom, tudo correu normal, até eu precisar fechar o app e ele nao encerrar direito, precisei forcar o encerramento, apos isso fechei o macbook e ao tentar abrir essa manha o lr nao funcionou mais!

ele simplesmente fica na tela inicial e nao carrega, nao inicia, nao abre.

ja desinstalei e instaleu tudo, incluindo o creative cloud e nada resolveu.

nao achei nada na internet parecido com isso.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RESOLVIDO!

resposta:

Um de nossos Testadores de Pré-lançamento tem um bug registrado para isso e referenciamos este tópico para aquele bug existente.

Solução alternativa:

A equipe verificou que essa solução alternativa não tem riscos. Até que possamos lançar uma atualização, siga estes passos:

Feche LrC se aberto

(O arquivo não será exibido se o Lightroom estiver aberto)

Localize o arquivo metrics.json neste local:

Mac: /Usuários/<nome de usuário>/Biblioteca/Caches/Adobe/Lightroom/metrics.json

(Observe que o Mac tem duas Bibliotecas

Certifique-se de estar na Biblioteca do Usuário e não na Biblioteca do Sistema!)

Https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

Win: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom\Caches\metrics.json

(Observe que este é um diretório oculto por padrão no Windows)

Https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/view-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-97fbc472-c603-9...

Remova ou renomeie o arquivo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a mac pro Monterey 12.6.4- all updates

Mac Pro (Late 2013)

3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5

16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

AMD FirePro D500 3 GB

adobe cloud all updated 

I have had the adobe cloud with photoshop and lightroom for years and have never had issues untill out of the blue, today.

I have uninstalled, reinstalled light room classic, signed in and out of my adobe cloud account, deleted the preferences, started and restarted the computer...

Did I delete the preferences needed? if so where do I find those because uninstalling and reinstalling didn't help.. 

A few weeks ago I intalled lightroom CC, I didnt open lightroom classic since then. So I uninstalled both, thinking one was causing issues. 

The lightroom classcic seems like its starting but the little circle just swirls, I check the app and it says not responding.. 

please help..I have work to do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting the metrics.json file worked for me.  BUT LRClassic then got 'stuck' syncing 4 photos so I had to force quit.  And the next time I tried to open it - same thing.  Deleted  the metrics.json file again, but this is going to be really painful if I have to go through this on a regular basis!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tessa288894707bf6  It is not necessary to remove the metrics.json file more than once. It also does not affect syncing. You likely have a different issue and should start a new thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looked like the same problem, and when I went to delete the metrics file it was there again, and deleting it a second time allowed lightroom classic to open (I did nothing else).  I note that LRC is stuck on syncing 4 photos again so I'll try pausing the syncing rather than force quitting again and see what happens. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tessa288894707bf6  The file is supposed to be there. It is just supposed to be small <100KB not big > GBs.  You need to start a new thread as your issue most likely unrelated to this thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Lightroom classic on my Mac and have not had too many issues with it until yesterday when it just stopped opening. When I click on it initially it looks like it might open but then the spinning wheel of death appears and it never progresses. The force quit box says Lightroom is not responding. I have tried many of the "fixes" but am not all that tech savvy so not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I have tried to reset the preferences using the shift-option thing but also get the spinning wheel of death and have to force quit it. I have tried to do it manually by looking for the com.adobe.LightroomClassicCC7.plait but I can't find it. I have logged out of everything and signed back in. I have tried to uninstall everything and reinstall. I have tried to open it from a previously saved back up. I have looked for the metrics.json file but don't have one to delete despite knowing Lightroom is not open. I have installed a previous version (12.1) of LrC and that didn't work. I'm at a loss. Help!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently LR Classic (12.2.1) is taking over a minute to launch. In all other operations it performs normally. I am not aware of having done anything that could have casused this. I have tried various troubleshooting steps. Optimising the catalogue, deleting the app and reinstalling via Creative Cloud and creating a new catalog and launching LR with the new catalogue. None of these steps have improved the time it takes for LR to open.  I have a MacBook Pro M1.

Votes

Translate

Translate