• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: LrC 12.2.1 fails to start/launch or is extremely slow launching.

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

LRC 12.2.1 is not starting anymore, just launches as a background process using significant amounts of RAM and CPU, but the visible window never shows up. 

I have already:

- Tried the alt-shift-click thingie.

- Tried logging out and in from CC.

- Wiping all data files from the computer and letting LRC create a fresh Lightroom folder and catalog file (sometimes it does that, sometimes it hangs before the folder is created). 

- Wiping all Adobe products with the cleaner tool and reinstalling just LRC.

- I have even formatted and reisntalled the computer (becuase it was a good time to do that anyway).

But LRC still fails. What to do next?

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎17.‎03.‎2023
OS build 19045.2728
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

One of our Prerelease Testers has a bug logged for this and we've referenced this thread to that existing bug. 

Workaround:
The team has verified this workaround has no risks. Until we can release an update, please follow these steps:

• Close LrC if open
    (the file will not show if Lightroom is open)

• Locate metrics.json file at this location: 

Mac: /Users/<username>/Library/Caches/Adobe/Lightroom/metrics.json
    (Note that Mac has two Libraries
    Make sure you are in the User Library and not the System
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Greetings all,

Updates for Adobe Photography products have been released.  The April 2023 updates contain a final fix for this issue. After installing 12.3 it should be no longer necessary to monitor and delete the metrics.json file.

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 438 Replies 438
438 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly this is a joke. And I'm paying for this every month. This is sh*t that should be fixed before release of a product...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly this is a joke. And I'm paying for this every month. This is sh*t that should be fixed before release of a product...

Do you want to go back to previous versions? In Adobe Creative Cloud, select the product you wish to roll back, click on the three dots and select "Other Versions".

FWIW, the bug doesn't affect everyone by a long shot, which is why it wasn't 'fixed' before release; it wasn't detected. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic won't launch. When I checked the Activity Monitor, I saw that it was consuming too much RAM and wasn't responding. There is no change in my workflow. I tried to open it as usual but it wouldn't open. Could you help me, please?

Macbook Pro 14" - M1 Pro 

MacOS Ventura 13.3.1

Lightroom Classic 12.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TheDigitalDog Do you want to go back to previous versions? In Adobe Creative Cloud, select the product you wish to roll back, click on the three dots and select "Other Versions".

Sadly, rolling back to the prev version does not resolve my problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography(and prerelease testers) Is this bug supposed to be fixed in LrC 12.3, which is currently rolling out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings all,

Updates for Adobe Photography products have been released.  The April 2023 updates contain a final fix for this issue. After installing 12.3 it should be no longer necessary to monitor and delete the metrics.json file.

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this update did not solve my issue, Lightroom Classic still crashes at the splash screen. I sat with Adobe support for hours yesterday and they even got remote access to my Mac where they tried a lot of things, got logfiles etc (Apple M2 Max / Ventura 13.3.1 (22E261). The support rep told me they will have to make a fix release to solve my issue. Should I create a new thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the update Rikk. Do we have to undo any of the workarounds after installing LRC V 12.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@idahochukar  No additional steps are necessary. If you renamed metrics.json to metrics.old,  you can discard your .old file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This supposed fix did not fix squat. Still the same issue... I would appreciate if someone from Adobe support could have a look at this on my end instead of just merging it into other seemingly similar issues!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This supposed fix did not fix squat. Still the same issue... I would appreciate if someone from Adobe support could have a look at this on my end instead of just merging it into other seemingly similar issues!

This is primarily a user-to-sure support forum. If you want help outside it:

https://www.adobe.com/about-adobe/contact.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Johan Thalin  It sounds like this thread does not related to your issue. You should start a new thread in Discussions. - Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@NiklasHH  It sounds like your issue is unrelated to this thread. You should start a new issue under Discussions. 

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NiklasHH

note/ originally NiklasHH did in fact post a separate problem, that got merged into the above/

As the bug that your posting got merged into, appears to not be the solution, and as you stated using another computer user account works, a more complete discussion of possible solutions as follows. If you have not already attempted to reset the preference file, that might be a good first attempt.

Account/user rights issue indicated by logging on as other user

See:

(ref 1): Troubleshoot unexpected behavior in specific user account | Adobe

Document referenced above includes for MACOS possible solutions:

• Grant read-write permissions on appropriate folders.
    • Re-create the Adobe application's account-specific preferences files.
    • Troubleshoot account-specific fonts.
    • Delete account-specific Adobe cache files.
    • Troubleshoot account-specific login items.
    • Reset the access settings on the user account's Library folder.
    • Repair the startup disk.
    • Use a new user account.

and, perhaps:

(ref 2): Basic troubleshooting steps to fix issues in Lightroom Classic | Adobe

Document referenced above includes:

• Reset the preference file
    • Install latest LrC version
    • Install OS updates
    • Troubleshoot user account permissions
    • Setup a new Admin user account
    • Start in Safe Mode to troubleshoot

Note, for additional information on resetting the preferences file, see (ref 3)

(ref 3): https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has the issue with the "metrics.json" file been rectified with the LrC 12.3 update?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today's 12.3 update did not resolve my problem, but after the following steps I'm back in action.

I started by renaming the folder containing my catalog and associated files. LrC was able to complete launching and generated new copies of the catalog files. I then put back my originals and LrC once again stalled at launch. I removed my Previews.lrdata file but left my original catalog file and this time LrC successfully launched. I then replaced my newly generated Previews.lrdata file with my original Previews.lrdata file and now all seems good. Probably that last step was unnecesary but I wanted to know if that file was the culprit.

Not sure what's going on here as I would've expected the original Previews.lrdata file to have become corrupted, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Perhaps the regeneration of the previews file reset pointers that had become corrupt? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be happy to share yet can not find the metrics.json

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After doing the fix suggested here to fix the LRC problem my program has run faster and better. That being said, I think I'll wait alittle bit to install the LRC 12.3. A little nervous it may not work and I'll be back to having a problem I don't want. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does nto work for me.  I have tried unitstalling multiple versions of LR Classic.  Did the process outlined below.  Never saw the metrics.json.  But see a js file.  I deleted that.

My issue of LR Classic not starting up ccored right after using Illustrator for the first time a few days ago.

Using a one year old Lenova.  Windows 11.

Not a technical person, so this is a struggle.  As well as costing me money not getting to use LR now.    PLEASE HELP!  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOORAY!!!

I've deleted this file at least 5 times since the problem started and the
temp solution was notified!

THANK YOU!

--
JAVIER

"You got to gather what you need. You got to choose a direction.
And when the moment is right for you, you got to go"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

12.3 on Ventura 13.2.1 still crashes even after multiple restarts and deleting the metrics.json file. Fabulous work breaking the app that has always worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Taaniel2389607029pe it's great isn't it? And nobody from Adobe is taking this seriously at all it seems. No taking responsibility from their side. [moderator edit for foul language]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've given up on this update and reverted abck to the previouis version of LR. I'll wait for the next upgrade and hope they have addressed the issue. Thanks for oyur replies to my concern!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is pretty crazy. Lightroom created a 152 GB metrics.json file. Where was the logic in that? Are they dumping my entire catalog to JSON?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to delete ~/Library/Cache/Adoby/Lightroom/metrics.json every day because of this bug. Every time I see the file, it's crazy huge. As a software engineer of 26 years, I can only assume a very junior engineer came up with the idea of dumping hundreds of gigabytes into a single JSON file. I'm extremely disallusioned with how poor Adobe's quality is for the high price I pay each month. My catalog is already huge. Why would I want adobe to capture hundreds of gigabytes of metric data in addition to all the other space my catalog is taking up? What the heck does Adobe think it's going to do with all that metric data? How does it think it's going to improve my experience, and how did this ever make it past quality control? And why does it take so long to get a fix release? On top of Lightroom's already terrible performance, this is the last straw for me. I've cancelled my subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate