Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Map Module not working 11.3.1 on some Windows installations

LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 11 21H2

If you shut down Lightroom Classic 11.3.1 with the Library Module showing, then re-launch later, the Map Module works fine.

If you shut down Lightroom Classic 11.3.1 with the Map Module showing, and then re-launch later, the Map Module is not usable. The exact form of the error changes, its not always the same, sometimes I get JavaScript error, sometimes the Map Module just freezes, other times it has other errors, but the Map Module simply doesn't work in this situation.

Bug Started
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Try going to Library, then exiting LR.  After restarting LR, does the Map now work?  Many on Windows, and a few on Mac, have observed that the Map module can start behaving badly if you last exited LR from the Map module.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Adding bug number

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 115 Replies 115
115 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue: Map module no longer works. Reports "Unable to connect to Adobe servers. Map module will not work."

• Lightroom Classic Version Number: 11.3.1 
  • OS Version Number: Windows 11

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open Lightroom classic and go to Maps.

Maps were working fine without any problems on this computer prior to version 11.3. Both version 11.3 and 11.3.1 produce this identical error. I have internet access, I can update Adobe apps (and thus can access some Adober servers), I have perfect access to Google Maps directly in a browser. I have opened/closed LRC and rebooted multiple times, over multiple days to confirm it's not a short-term timing issue.

This seems to be a new problem generated with the 11.3 update.

It is also not a general problem with connecting to Adobe servers as my licenses otherwise seem fine; I can open and use Acrobat, Photoshop, LRC, Illustrator... it is specifically the map module in LRC that is no longer working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open Lightroom Classic go to Maps, all is fine. Seems something on your end might be blocking this? 

Maybe worth trying, resetting your Lightroom preferences:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Quit Lightroom Classic.
MacOS: Press and hold the Shift + Option keys.
Windows: Press and hold the Shift + Alt keys.
While holding down the keys, launch Lightroom Classic.
When asked, select "Yes". 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works fine here too on MacOS 12.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting preferences does not fix the problem. Maps broke with 11.3. Everything else seems to be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reverted LRC to 11.2 and maps work again. It is absoutely a problem with 11.3 and 11.3.1. It may not be a universal problem, but it is something about that version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a final check I reupdated 11.2 to 11.3.1. Maps stopped working again. A change between 11.2 and 11.3 is breaking map funcationality for me. No idea why as it's clearly not universal to everyone, but it is absolutely an issue with LRC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No idea why as it's clearly not universal to everyone, but it is absolutely an issue with LRC.

Perhaps on Windows, maybe someone else on that platform can let us know. Not on Mac; runs fine. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to Windows Lightroom Classic (LRC) 11.3.1 (from 11.3) using Creative Cloud Desktop.

The Map Module has ceased working with this version. I'm running the latest update for Windows 11.

I have restarted LRC several times, tried different photo sets, rebooted PC, all without success.

Pretty disappointing.......

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tintmylf ,
Could you confirm your License type? Also, do you use Lightroom Sync to Cloud functionality?

Also, could you share the screenshot of LrC in Library module?

Smit | Lightroom Classic Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Approximately 1 hour late - it's now working after a 2nd reboot......

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an Enterprise license.

I do not use cloud sync.

screenshot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Day 2 of 11.3.1 - Map Module has failed totally again. 

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing a similar failure of the map module in 11.3.1 on Windows 11 21H2. I reverted back to 11.3, and everything is fine for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dj_paige 

On my Mac the Map Module is not unusuable if LrC was closed with the map module open but it does do a lot of screen flashing like the map is having a hard time opening up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this "screen flashing" too, but as I said, the exact error in this case changes from time to time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom will boot to where you were when the application was shut down. I have learned over time it's always best to shutdown in the Library module it will reboot faster.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom will boot to where you were when the application was shut down. I have learned over time it's always best to shutdown in the Library module it will reboot faster.

By @DdeGannes

But the issue under discussion isn't speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest released version of Lightroom Classic latest macOS, I can enter Maps, quit, re-enter, and it works fine. 

But there have been numerous reports of issues on Windows. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting.  I've been struggling with the Map module recently, but had attributed most of it to a new laptop/GPU.  After seeing your post though, I experimented a bit more and it appears my problems are actually similar to yours.

If I close LrC when I'm in Library, on relaunch the Map module appears to function as expected.

If I close LrC when I'm in Map, on relaunch the Map module doesn't work.  I am not getting any error messages, but when LrC opens, a large world view or a blank screen is displayed and I can't do anything in the map - can't zoom, can't move, can't switch map styles, etc.  The Navigator panel is also non-functional.  Switching to another module and then back to Map doesn't help.  Switching to another module, then closing & relaunching LrC is required to get the Map module to behave normally again.

I am seeing the problem on my laptop running Win 10 21H2 / LrC 11.3 with GPU both on & off.

I am not seeing the problem on my desktop running Win 10 21H2 / LrC 11.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not getting any error messages, but when LrC opens, a large world view or a blank screen is displayed and I can't do anything in the map - can't zoom, can't move, can't switch map styles, etc.

I see both of those with LrC 11.3.1, the on-screen symptoms change from time to time, but what remains constant is that the Map Module doesn't work at all when I am in the situation where I shut down LrC with Map Module on the screen and then later re-start LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that too with LR 11.3.1 / Windows 10:

johnrellis_0-1650904959198.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography, please move into Bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't recall the details, but do know that the map module initialisation in 11.3 was updated. The outworkings of these chnages vary by OS, which module you were in prior to restaring, etc. Some folk may see server access issues, others flashing screens and others Oops!

The thread definitley needs to be moved to the Bug forum if folk are experiencing problems 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two Windows machines I've tested this on.

Machine 1 - Does not exhibit the problem.

Machine 2 - Did exhibit the problem but - I updated the nVidia drivers to the latest and the problem vanished. 

I can no longer reproduce with nVidia's latest drivers. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography  Doesn't appear to be Nvidia specific.  The laptop I'm seeing the problem on uses Intel Iris Xe graphics.  GPU on/off in LrC settings also makes no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate