• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photo placed in wrong spot on map

LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Lightroom version has a major bug in the map module!When you try to position a photo somewhere on the map Lightroom 6.8 assigns a wrong position (near the spot).

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

This bug has been outstanding for many years.  Workarounds:

1. Set Preferences > Interface > Font Size to Automatic and the Windows Display Settings > Scale And Layout to 100%.   Dragging photos to the map and the Develop eye dropper then become accurate for most people. But if the fonts are now too small, adjust the Windows Display Settings scaling, not the font size in LR.  (That works for some but not all people.)

2. Instead of dragging to the map, right-click the map location and do

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017
I have been able to reproduce this issue and I have logged a bug as well.

Thanks,
Smit Keniya
Adobe Lightroom Team

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 146 Replies 146
146 Comments
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Up to a couple of days ago I was able to place images on the Lightroom Map accurately.

However I then upgraded to Lightroom 8.4!

Now when I drag an image to the map, Lightroom places the pin 'southeast' of where I let go of the mouse button. The distance away from my desired position is always the same pixel distance on the screen - about 2.5 inches on a 25 inch monitor towards the bottom right hand.

So dependant on the mapping scale, this could be either 50 mtr away or even in a different country. No very accurate.

I have reset the the preferences (as suggested in another topic - not quite related), but makes no difference.

I am using Windows 10 (latest updates done) on a PC.

Please help - I have over 1000 more holiday images to catalogue!

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In version 8.4, the label of image is shifted when you drag selected image onto map.

The label does not pin on where you drag to on the map.

When you click on the label, the image preview is popped up in the correct location on  the map.

The images that already have GPS tag are not affected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

That does not sound right, could you please share some screenshots? as it would be helpful for us to review the issue.

Also, please try resetting the preferences of Lightroom and see how it goes: How to set Lightroom Classic preferences

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the same as -- Label shifted in Map Module in Lr Classic version 8.4

Which was posted after mine. I have insert a screen shot.

LightroomMappingIssue.JPG

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please also see my issue the same -Mapping errors with Lightroom Classic 8.4

Wth screen shot

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

I have reset Lr setting and rebooted my pc.

I have 1 notebook and 1 desktop. The notebook does not have the problem but

the desktop does.

I have captured a wmv file and the system info. files of my notebook and

desktop for your reference.

Regards,

KK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have replied your email and attached screen capture and system info. file for reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just discovered an anomoly -

I have a twin monitor set-up.

Main monitor is a 25in AOC, and second monitor is 19in Samsung.

The problem arrises on the 25in AOC but when I swap Lightroom to the 2nd monitor, it works ok on the 19in Samsung.

Now the really odd bit - having placed the pins, I then swap Lightroom to the AOC monitor. The pins stay in the correct place, but the image preview is now shifted to 'north-west' of the pin. Again by the same pixel distance a previously.

I have checked both monitors have uptodate drivers, and the graphics card driver is also uptodate.

Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you suspect a bug, then best submit it at Lightroom Classic | Photoshop Family Customer Community  Adobe engineers and QE usually keep a close eye on that forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sort of thought that that was the point od these forums.

Am I wrong?

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

peters41956530  wrote

I sort of thought that that was the point od these forums.

Am I wrong?

Peter

You are wrong.

This forum is for users of Lightroom to help other users. We can't fix bugs, and the proper way to alert Adobe to a bug has been provided by Ian.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Up to a couple of days ago I was able to place images on the Lightroom Map accurately.However I then upgraded to Lightroom 8.4!

Now when I drag an image to the map, Lightroom places the pin 'southeast' of where I let go of the mouse button. The distance away from my desired position is always the same pixel distance on the screen - about 2.5 inches on a 25 inch monitor towards the bottom right hand.

So dependant on the mapping scale, this could be either 50 mtr away or even in a different country. No very accurate.

I have reset the the preferences (as suggested in another topic - not quite related), but makes no difference.

RackMultipart2019081630488scf4-3b93a57a-f8ec-47ca-891c-72ae723aa51b-490072560.JPGRackMultipart2019081630488scf4-3b93a57a-f8ec-47ca-891c-72ae723aa51b-490072560.JPG

I am using Windows 10 (latest updates done) on a PC.

Since I have had the problem, I have just discovered an anomoly -I have a twin monitor set-up.

Main monitor is a 25in AOC(2560x1440) , and second monitor is 19in Samsung (1680x1050).

The problem arrises on the 25in AOC but when I swap Lightroom to the 2nd monitor, it works ok on the 19in Samsung.

Now the really odd bit - having placed the pins on Samsung, I then swap Lightroom to the AOC monitor. The pins stay in the correct place, but the image preview is now shifted to 'north-west' of the pin. Again by the same pixel distance a previously.

I have checked both monitors have uptodate drivers, and the graphics card driver is also uptodate.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here on Win10 / Lr Classic 8.4 - 

- Start Lr on a 4K display and any images dropped on the map are shown offset down & right from the location the mouse button was released.  GPS coordinates recorded in metadata are incorrect.

- Start Lr on a FHD display and any images dropped on the map are in the correct location.  GPS coordinates recorded in metadata are correct.

I would guess this is similar/related to some long standing issues Lr has had with high DPI displays, like this one - White balance dropper target location is offset on high-DPI Windows devices

Based on the age of that one, I'd start looking for workarounds, rather than waiting for fixes.  For me, either starting Lr on the FHD display or moving it there after startup and moving it back seems to do the trick.  Either of those allows dropping images to the desired/expected location on the map and the GPS coordinates being recorded in metadata (the most important part) appear to be correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When one has hundreds of images to catalogue from foriegn trips - a work around is not really practical.
It was OK on 8.3 - so I wonder if Adobe have a way of reverting releases in the short term, whilst a fix is found.
Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Go to the CC app, find Lightroom Classic, click the arrow to its right and choose Manage > Other Versions than 8.3.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The quantity of images you're putting on the map shouldn't matter.  You only have to move Lr from one screen to the other once in order to get it working.  Then you can place your hundreds of images on the map.

Not saying Adobe shouldn't fix the bug.  Only trying to give info on a workaround that should be pretty easy and appears to be working for me...other than having to remember to do it, of course!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Aug 18, 2019 Aug 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I'm using Windows 10, LR Classic 8.4 and two displays.

The only difference is that I'm experiencing the "south-east-offset" problem both in my main and secondary monitor - switching LR Classic to the other monitor doesn't seem to prevent the offset from happening.

At least, it only happens when dragging and dropping from the filmstrip onto the map. I don't know about you, but fortunately I can still select the photos and then Ctrl+click on the map to place them, or right click on the map and choose  "Add gps coordinates to selected photos". Apparently, that works, although I can't tell for sure if the gps coordinates are right or not (I hope they are).

Please fix this as soon as possible, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be a resolution problem.
Carlos - you probably have two monitors of the same resolution. Mine are different (just simply utilising an old monitor).
If I reduce the resolution of the main monitor to that of the second one, the problem no longer manifests itself.
I am wondering if Adobe only test programs on low resolotion monitors.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right Peter - both of my displays are the same make, model and resolution (2560 x 1440).
As far as the Map module goes, and based on the problems in other recent releases, I'd say they barely test that module at all before a new release. A real pity since the Map module is so important for many of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirmed that this is caused by the setting in the "Scale and layout" in Windows Setting->Display.

I set the "Change the size of text, apps and other items to "125%" in my desktop PC whereas the value in my notebook is the recommended value "100%".

Both "Display Resolution" is set to "1920 x 1080".

After I set my desktop back to the recommended value "100%", The label does not shift any more

in the Map Module. However, I have set it for a long time before v8.4.

So, I hope Adobe could fix it right away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, this issue might not be entirely new - in this other thread regarding another problem with the Map module (LR Classic was at v7.5 at the time), a person going by the name of "CS Chua" described the following problem in the first answer in the thread:

" When you drop the photo to the map the position is offset south-east. "

Apparently, no one else had experienced this issue at the time, so I find it pretty suspicious.

On a separate note, I've tried Lightroom Classic 8.4 with a laptop computer with a single display and a resolution of 1980x1080 (FHD), and the problem happens all the same.

Hoping some Adobe rep will at least acknowledge this when they can. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tested his scenario in Lightroom 8.4 with Windows 10 (1809) and Mac 10.14.6 (4K (Win) 5K (Mac) Displays) and have been unable to reproduce on either platform. 

For those of you experiencing the issue take a look at pointing devices mice, tablets and such and make sure those drivers are updated. I am guessing there is a commonality between your systems that is different than mine. 

On additional note of caution. Do not rely on Windows updates to ensure you have the latest driver. You should always go to your GPU provider to obtain the latest updates and do a clean install of the drivers. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look at the initial message, you will see that I have updated the drivers. I must admit I fogot to mention the mouse had been also done. No I don't rely on Windows updates. I've been in computing too long to not realize that (since 1976).

Can I ask what resolution monitor you (Rikk Flohr) are using - the problem is definately monitor resolution dependant. See mine and Carlos's eariler comments.

Also as mentioned before - I has only occured with the latest release 8.4

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rikk for checking. I am also asking around and for now, 2 out of 2 people are not experiencing this issue, so I guess it is not happening to everyone.

But on the other hand, like I said, I found the same issue on 2 computers that have nothing in common as far as input devices are concerned. In my desktop machine, the problem takes place both using the wired mouse (Cooler Master brand) and the Wacom tablet. In my laptop, it happens both using the trackpad and a wireless mouse (Logitech brand).

Also, please take into account that everything was working fine up until v8.3. The only variable that appears to be triggering the problem is the 8.4 update, which as far as I know, happens to include changes in the internal browser behind the Map module. It looks to me as too much of a coincidence. In fact, I've noticed that the scale of the map and the gps tags have changed slightly from 8.3 to 8.4 (it's not a feeling -  I took a screen capture before updating my laptop to make sure). So, I have the impression that some scaling issue is going on behind the scenes.

I don't think is a Windows version thing either, since my desktop is on Win 10 v1903 and my laptop is on Win 10 v1809.

Of course, I understand that unless you're able to reproduce the issue, nothing can be done. And like I said, I have asked other people and so far, no other reports. But still, I'm sure there's something going on with 8.4 that triggers this problem. It's just that I don't know why it's happening to some of us but not all of us (?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, reproduced here on Windows 10 build 1903 and Lightroom 8.4. the issue is related to text scaling setting in Windows Display Properties. Lightroom Map module seems to be misinterpreting the scaling. Photo placement location is proportional to the scaling setting, counted from left upper corner of the map window.
If text scaling is set to 100%, Map module works well (and it is a current workaround to fix Map module). If text scaling is set to someting else (like 125% as default for larger resolution monitors), map is not scaled properly and photos are misplaced (shifted right-down by 125% depending on the scale).

Votes

Translate

Translate