• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Adding to/Creation of a new Target collection takes minutes unless Sync is paused

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2024 Sep 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone.

I've been using LR for a long time, previously on an intel based Windows 10 laptop. It was a bit slow, but usable.

Now I am using m1 macbookair, both MacOS and LR are up to date and the issue persists.

Since couple versions ago - LR is not usable for me. My collection is huge, has photos on several external hard drives, but i mostly use one, with most current shots. Since 3-6 months my LR is UNUSABLE. I push the B key to add image to target collection - nothing happens. I push it again - nothing happens. After couple minutes - some photos appear in the target collection, others don't, because i pushed the button more than once. It's very annoying. Sync activity goes back to some photos on random external hdd (not currently connected) form way back - i haven't done anything with those photos but there are sync errors for some reason, because why not?

Also - i create a collection - and it doesn't appear immediately.I create another one - after 20 minutes LR wakes up, that the collection I want to create has to have a unique name and boom, the firs one I created magically appears. Seriously - my impression is that this has something to do with syncing - as I sync some collections to cloud to be ableto do some additional culling on my mobile while on the go.

I cannot work like this and instead of having a pleasant experience with culling photos - I am very annoyed and I am unable to work like that. What can i do to make it work smooth again?

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , 16 hours ago 16 hours ago

I was able to replicate this with the following instructions: 

1. Select a PV2 Image
  2. Create a new Collection, make it sync, include the currently selected image, and set a target collection in the dialog
  3. Attempt to update the image to PV6
  4. The image does not update to PV6 until several minutes have passed or will update immediately if you pause syncing.

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
88 Comments
Participant ,
Jul 02, 2024 Jul 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bugs from 13.3.1 persist - enormous lag creating new albums and collections and populating them, e.g. you press B to add to collection and wait several minutes before the image actually registers there.

New bugs added - now with many iphone apple raw .dng pics I open the pic after import in Loupe view mode - it shows built-in preview (LR previews not generated) - I switch to Develop - full size preview generated and shown as usual - I switch back to Loupe - and IT ONLY SHOWS built-in preview! 

It gets worse - previews get stuck and even if I choose generate full size preview - nothing changes, and after a couple of minutes I get message that Preview has been generated!

Adobe - start testing your software on large libraries - mine contains 200,000+ images and releases before 13.3 worked fine - after 13.3 I am having nothing but issues!

see me as "Da, Moroshka!" on YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2024 Jul 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always give your hardware specs and your MacOS version, otherwise Adobe engineers can't do nothing with your report. I have a 200,000 images catalog too on my MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 32GB running MacOS 14.5 and I do not see any of the issues you have. When I press B, the image is reported to have been added to the quick collection in about one second, for example.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 03, 2024 Jul 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

M2Max Macbook Pro 16", latest Mac OS all updated. For me the trouble started with 13.3 upgrade. That's when they changed the sync engine and thats also when I had multiple issues with lag in various library related operations, like new album creation, adding pics to collection, etc. I have a thread here about it with some guys reporting the same kind of buggy behavior. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also here lag in the develop module only go through the photos: it's not usable at all. I'm on Windows 11 Pro 23H2 22631.3810, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor, 32,0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (Driver already updated). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I have to completely agree with "DaMoroshka!" For me too, LRC13.4 is a disaster !

I use a catalog with 170,000 photos (approx. 60% RAW (Nikon/Fuji and 40% JPEG or PSD files) distributed across 3 main directories or 3 hard drives

Base is a PC with Windows 11 Pro (Version 23H2, Build 22631.3737)
- with Mainboard Typ Gigabyte Z790 Gaming X AX
- Intel Core i9-13900K
- 32 GB RAM
- graphic card NVIDEA GeForce RTX 4060 with NVIDIA Studio-Driver 555.99

Only if I deactivate Address Lookup, Face Detection and Saving XMP as well as turn off "Replace embedded previews with standard previews during idle time" and I also deactivate the graphics card can I minimize the number of crashes.

I don't think anyone at Adobe has ever tested LRC 13.4 with a really large number of photo files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A catalog with 170,000 images is not that big. I am sure several beta testers will have such a catalog or a much bigger one. A really big catalog is one million images or more. I know this won't be any consolation, but the problem with beta testing is that you cannot possibly test all the possible hardware configurations that are used in the world, especially on Windows. There will always be configurations out there that don't run well with the latest Lightroom version. That is inevitable and obviously Adobe should (and will) look into it. Also remember that people who do not have any problems with this version of Lightroom Classic will not come to this forum to report that. This version does have its problems for some people, and does not have any problems for other people, like all other versions did. I do not have the impression that this version is worse that any previous versions in that respect. I hope Adobe can solve this soon.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DaMoroshka! , unfortunately the update to LrC 13.4 did not address any of the " Sync to Adobe Creative Cloud " issues which the updates of LrC 13.3 / 13.3.1 created.
Those issues are still being addressed by Adobe, hopefully these issues will get rectified soon.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; (also Laptop Win 11, ver 23H2, LrC 13.5.1, ; ) Camera Oly OM-D E-M1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with small catalogue... It's a core problem they need to fix it, as a professional i cant work like that anymore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ganji12 , @Bergischer Löwe , @Danilo3125234585jb ,

I posted a reply to the original author of the thread who raised issues with LrC 13.4 which relates mainly with Sync Issues that originated with LrC  13.3 and 13.3.1.
These issues have not been addressed in the LrC 13.4 upgrade if you look at the thread at the top of the forum anouncing the release of this update the info and details there do not indicate there are fixes for the issues you continue to raise.

Adobe is aware of the issues and hopefully a fix will be forthcomming in the near future.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; (also Laptop Win 11, ver 23H2, LrC 13.5.1, ; ) Camera Oly OM-D E-M1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 15, 2024 Aug 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thas all started when they changed the sync mechanism (13.3 I think) , and has been living hell since then. I try to create new collection - have to wait 2 minutes for it to appear in the list. I hit B to add a picture to current target collection - have to wait 2 minutes for it to register in the collection. Apply Portrait effect (auto masking) - have to wait 2 minutes for it to appear. The bug is intermittent - sometimes all works fine (rare occasions) - and the AI masks themselve take only 1-2 sec to calculate on my M2 MaX Macbook Pro.  But when it lags, oh boy!  the lags and freezes are unbearable, they happen with many library operations, especially related to collections creations, adding pics to collections and enabling/disabling cloud sync for a given collection - that all makes Lightroom barely usable. 
the lags are all tied to the cloud sync operation - when there are images in the sync queue many operations lag unbearably, including quitting the app. 

P.S. whats with the "topics" that this forum suggest to select "to help users find my post" and selection is FROM THREE topics - macOS, Windows and SDK! WHere are other topics???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!  100% with all of these complaints.  All of this worked before the last big update which seemed to mess up everything with sync.  UGH... I use this with multiple clients every day.  So frustrating.  The lag to add to a collection or trying to create a collection is maddening.

Come on Adobe... this is not helping your reputation.  We rely on these tools working quickly.  We'd gotten used to this all working correctly and its now broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DaMoroshka!and @MatthewDoudt, to narrow down the issue and find a fix and/or file an actionable bug report:

1. Ensure you're on the most recent version released two days ago. Do Help > System Info, and if it says LR 13.4 or earlier, do Help > Updates to install 13.5, which fixes some serious bugs with syncing.

2. If that doesn't help, then pause syncing. Do operations with collections now work reasonably fast?

3. If that doesn't help, try deleting the Helper.lrdata folder:

a) Do Catalog Settings > General > Show to open Finder / File Explorer on the current catalog folder.
b) Exit LR.
c) In that folder, delete the folder "<catalog> Helper.lrdata".
d) Restart LR, and it will rebuild the folder.

The Helper.lrdata folder caches information about metadata, keywords, folders, collections, and other things to speed the performance of LR and it can sometimes get corrupted. In recent versions, LR has used it more heavily to improve the speed of displaying metadata, folders, and collections, and there have been a fair number of bugs with it.

4. If that doesn't help, do the LR menu command Help > System Info and copy/paste the entire contents here so we can see exactly which versions of hardware and software LR thinks you're running and important LR options that are set.

To help others, please update us on what does and doesn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 16, 2024 Aug 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for helping, the troubleshooting steps did not help, in fact with latest 13.5 update things have become WORSE for me - now I start import (from sdcard) and after clicking "import" button nothing happens (import button goes grey) FOR MINUTES - I am still waiting and no import happening. You cannot quit LR at that moment - unless you force quit. Previous versions were lagging with library operations mostly, but never with import (of course import from iphone was just as ever a huge disaster - when you have over 2-3 thousands images on the phone Lightroom can stop showing thumbnails, can stop updating image count, etct - this is a separate bug that has been THERE FOR AGES - I've seen it on multiple computers through the years consistently)

Here's system info:

Lightroom Classic version: 13.5 [ 202408062022-6258095b ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-ID
Operating system: Mac OS 14
Version: 14.5.0 [23F79]
Application architecture: arm64
Logical processor count: 12
Processor speed: NA
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
Power Source: Plugged In, 69%
Built-in memory: 65.536,0 MB
Dedicated GPU memory used by Lightroom: 598,4MB / 49.152,0MB (1%)
Real memory available to Lightroom: 65.536,0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 4.888,0 MB (7,4%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 418.497,0 MB
Memory cache size: 724,1MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 16.5 [ 1953 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 3MB / 32767MB (0%)
Camera Raw real memory: 5MB / 65536MB (0%)

Cache1:
NT- RAM:0,0MB, VRAM:0,0MB, Combined:0,0MB

Cache2:
m:724,1MB, n:0,0MB

U-main: 363,0MB

Standard Preview Size: 5120 pixels
Displays: 1) 3456x2234, 2) 5120x2880

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: Apple M2 Max
Init State: GPU for Export supported by default
User Preference: Auto
Enable HDR in Library: OFF

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: /Users/sunlit/Pictures/LR6/LR6-May25_24.lrcat
Settings Folder: /Users/sunlit/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in
3) DxO PhotoLab 7
4) DxO PhotoLab 7 Importer
5) Flickr
6) jf Preview Extraction
7) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Starting with 13.3 (I think, if thats when they changed the sync engine) I'm having nothing but trouble with my Lightroom on the same Mac, same catalogue that used to work just fine is now super laggy with countless issues - I want to create a collection, have to wait MINUTES before it appears in the list, I want to add pic to collection - same lag, I add AI masking like auto-Portrait preset - when it works its 1-2 seconds and done, but again - sometimes it just won't start and lags FOR MINUTES. 

Now with 13.5 the issues got worse - My import has become so laggy that I have to wait 5 minutes before the import progress bar appears and new images start to show in the grid. 

I have tried deleting the "catalog name"Helper file to no avail. 

WE NEED A FIX, ADOBE!

Below is my system info.

Lightroom Classic version: 13.5 [ 202408062022-6258095b ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-ID
Operating system: Mac OS 14
Version: 14.5.0 [23F79]
Application architecture: arm64
Logical processor count: 12
Processor speed: NA
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
Power Source: Plugged In, 69%
Built-in memory: 65.536,0 MB
Dedicated GPU memory used by Lightroom: 825,8MB / 49.152,0MB (1%)
Real memory available to Lightroom: 65.536,0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 10.178,3 MB (15,5%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 426.220,9 MB
Memory cache size: 977,5MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 16.5 [ 1953 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 253MB / 32767MB (0%)
Camera Raw real memory: 254MB / 65536MB (0%)

Cache1:
Final1- RAM:158,0MB, VRAM:0,0MB, DSC08110.ARW
NT- RAM:158,0MB, VRAM:0,0MB, Combined:158,0MB

Cache2:
m:977,5MB, n:169,8MB

U-main: 307,0MB

Standard Preview Size: 5120 pixels
Displays: 1) 3456x2234, 2) 5120x2880

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: Apple M2 Max
Init State: GPU for Export supported by default
User Preference: Auto
Enable HDR in Library: OFF

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: /Users/sunlit/Pictures/LR6/LR6-May25_24.lrcat
Settings Folder: /Users/sunlit/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in
3) DxO PhotoLab 7
4) DxO PhotoLab 7 Importer
5) Flickr
6) jf Preview Extraction
7) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, try to reset the preferences of Lightroom Classic:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

I'll recommended to backup your preferences before resetting the preferences: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/preference-file-and-other-file-locations.html

Another try is to switch off the GPU support from the Lightroom preferences and check if that helps to fix the issue. Go to Lightroom > Preferences > Performance tab > Uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" > Restart Lightroom.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html

Is your system up-to-date? Do you have installed all recent updates and patches for the operating system and the device drivers, especially the graphic driver. If you have a NVidia graphic card installed, make sure that you are using the recent Studio version of the driver, not the Game Ready version.

Try to create a new catalog and import some pictures. Then check.

I've have some performance issue on a Windows machine in the past. The creation of a new catalog had solved them. 

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 -- LR-Classic 13.4 - Photoshop 25.11 - Nik Collection 7 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz PhotoAI 3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

firstly the link you sent for  resetting preferences is not the right one - that page is for SETTING the preferences, not RESETTING them. THe correct page for reset is this one: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/reset-preferences.html

I have no desire to switch of the GPU support - that is not what I am paying Adobe for - to use Lightroom without GPU support is like going back in the stone age.

I have done all troubleshootings MULTIPLE times - they DON"T HELP. Its a bug and many other users are complaining of same problems. We need a fix from Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @DaMoroshka! ,

Just to confirm, when you are performing any operations like Import or Create collection, are there any images that are being synced in the background ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DaMoroshka!: "I have no desire to switch of the GPU support"

Setting Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor to Off is a temporary diagnostic step that helps narrow down the problem. Often for nasty problems like this, it takes such information posted by many users to get Adobe focused on the issue (going through Adobe support for such things is usually an exercise in beating your head against the wall).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 17, 2024 Aug 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the lags happen even with no sync operations going on in the background, but it seems having sync engine active with a number of pics being uploaded makes things worse. I can also observe around 100% CPU usage for LR during such "freezing" times and also LR won't respond if you try to quit it. I think if you give it 20-30 minutes to finally sort through whatever it was doing it un-freezes again. To sum up - this whole experience is unacceptable for final release. It was not ready for prime time at 13.3 and got even worse in 13.5. The only good thing is that I don't have "a certain number of pics syncing" stuck forever, this was fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should I be asking for pay from Adobe for doing their QA team work for them? I've disabled the GPU - it made no difference. All the issues remain and they are DEFINITELY worse in 13.5 vs 13.4 - I am now unable to use the auto process button - I press to absolutely no result - no sliders moving. Same with applying the AI masking presets like Portrait - not working or working after several minutes!  

Disabling GPU was fun though - I thought the performance would degrade instantly, but WEIRDLY - I've seen zero degradation. Scrolling in Library grid - still not 100% smooth, and SAME as with GPU on! Edit page - sliders are responsive EVEN WITHOUT GPU. That made me wonder if Lightroom is even using Apple M2 Max GPU for anything but proundly reporting in settings that GPU is enabled for maximum acceleration? How is it possible that I see no performance drop with GPU off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issues are definitely related to my catalogue size/structure or something - I've just made a fresh new catalogue and all issues are gone. 

HOWEVER!

But the thing is - Adobe made it impossible to competely refresh catalogue without losing some publish services and collections - if I make a new catalogue and choose to import the old one into the new one - I just waste a day or two (like full two days processing!!) only to find out that my publish services collections from the previous catalogue were not imported. I have hundreds of them and I cannot just drop them. This catalogue has been with me since I don't remember how early maybe 15 years.

I would have refreshed-recreated the catalogue if Adobe cared to provide a procedure to do so.

As of now my catalogue is optimized and brings no errors but makes LR freeze and hang at every step!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 18, 2024 Aug 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some further testing and I can now confirm that the new Lightroom sync and library database engine (introduced in 13.3)  is much worse than the previous one when dealing with large catalogues of 200-300K images. I would say to the point of unusable. I've created a new fresh catalogue - tested by importing approx 700 images - all good. Proceeded to import all images from my previous catalogue - around 300K images  (by using the import form other catalogue feature) - and guess what - once I enabled the cloud syncing all the lags and freezes came back. I appy Portrait preset with AI masking - nothing going for seconds or MINUTES - then "MAYBE" it will finally be applied. Adobe you NEED TO TEST ON LARGE CATALOGUES or specify image limit for a catalogue because currently it is a complete mess. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for two minutes after sync deactivation, now I got the same issue again. I work with large catalogues as well and target collections was the main tool to get them organized. Dear Adobe team, please make that work as fast as possible.

Thanks!
Kai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kwntr , you stated "I work with large catalogues as well and target collections was the main tool to get them organized."

It is recommended that you should only sync one Catalog to the Adobe Creative Cloud. 
Please explain what your expectation is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just one catalogue that is synced. However, my expectation is that if I hit B or add images to a collection, the response is immediate and reliable. Switching off core functions like sync shouldn't be a requirement for that, and haven't been in the past.

i hope that answers your question? Thanks for following up on my post!

Kai

Votes

Translate

Translate