• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Preference setting for "Automatically check for updates" is not set correctly

Engaged ,
Sep 14, 2019 Sep 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lr Classic 8.4 open the Preferences dialog and on the General tab uncheck the "Automatically check for updates" option. Close the Preferences, then close Lr. Relaunch Lr, open the Preferences and look and the "Automatically check for updates" option. I find that it is always checked.

I edited the Preferences file and found that

noAutomaticallyCheckUpdates = true/false

is always set correctly on closing Lr according to whether I have unchecked/checked the "Automatically check for updates" option in the Preferences dialog. The problem is when Lr is launched again, it seems that although the Preferences file option is being loaded, it is not being used to initialise the "Automatically check for updates" check box state.

I think it is an initialisation problem because unchecking the option, closing the Preferences dialog and then opening it again shows it unchecked. However, closing Lr when the option is unchecked and relaunching always shows the option as checked, even if internally the option is actually off.

Tony

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
10 Comments
Advocate ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I return to preferences, the thing is checked again...

The last thing I want is an updater hammering my firewall for an hour before it stops... (at least, that is stuff I have experienced with Adobe in the past).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested this five months ago and again today. 

Lightroom Classic 9.1 retains the check box choice (either checked or not checked).  It retains the choice across an app relaunch as well.

I suspect you may have a bad preference file and need to reset it. 

A Preference File will survive a Lightroom uninstall/reinstall. Sometimes weird behavior is corrected/cured by resetting the preferences.

Reset Procedure:
1. Close Lightroom.
2. Hold down [Alt/Opt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom.
3. Overwrite the Preferences when prompted by the dialog.
4. Close Lightroom.
5. Restart Lightroom.
Does the behavior continue after resetting the preferences?
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the same behaviour when I uncheck the update preference on my copy of LR9.1/Win10.
But would this not be irrelevant if you have the unchecked the autoupdates preference in the CC Desktop app? It seems that this preference should not matter if you have that disabled.
(the Preference setting did stick for an old install of 2015.14 though after restart.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rikk,

Lightroom Classic 9.1 retains the check box choice (either checked or not checked).  It retains the choice across an app relaunch as well.

This is not the case on my up to date Windows 10 Pro 64 version 1909 system.

I moved my Preferences files to a temporary backup folder. Started Lr 9.1 and watched it create the new Preferences files.

I opened the Lightroom Classic CC 7 Preferences.agprefs file in my text editor (Notepad++) and scrolled to the line containing

noAutomaticallyCheckUpdates = false,

Keeping the file open in the editor, I then closed Lr. Keeping a file open in Notepad++ doesn't preclude another application from modifying the file. Furthermore, Notepad++ notifies me when the file has been changed by another application and reloads it.

I relaunched Lr and after initialisation, Lr modifies the Preferences file. I then select Edit/Preferences... from the menu. The "Automatically check for updates" option was checked, as expected. I unchecked the option, but didn't close the Preferences dialog. The Preferences file was updated, but the noAutomaticallyCheckUpdates remained false. I waited a little longer and soon the Preferences file was updated again, this time noAutomaticallyCheckUpdates changed to true. I haven't closed the Preferences dialog yet!

I then closed the dialog box with the "Automatically check for updates" option unchecked. The Preferences file also reflects this status with

noAutomaticallyCheckUpdates = true,

I close Lr and the Preferences file is updated, but noAutomaticallyCheckUpdates remains set to true.

Relaunch Lr again and I wait a while, doing nothing in Lightroom. A minute or so later, the Preferences file is updated and the noAutomaticallyCheckUpdates entry is changed back to false. I open the Preferences dialog and the "Automatically check for updates" option is checked.

If I don't wait and open the Preferences dialog as soon as initialisation is finished, then the "Automatically check for updates" option is checked, yet the Preferences file still has

Waiting a short time with the Preferences dialog open, the Preferences file soon gets modified and then has the entry

Something is horribly amiss here!

I say again, to me it looks like the Preferences file entry for noAutomaticallyCheckUpdates is being ignored, the Preferences dialog option "Automatically check for updates" is being initialised to a default state of checked not long after Lr initialisation is complete, so when the Preferences dialog is opened, it always shows the "Automatically check for updates" option as checked. Then Lr updates the Preferences file and overwrites the noAutomaticallyCheckUpdates entry, setting it false. So, my testing shows that the "Automatically check for updates" option always ends up being checked after Lr Classic is started.

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your Adobe Creative Cloud App there is a gear icon. If you click it and go to the Apps section, how do you have the Auto-Update toggle set?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TY Rikk, however, for me, it was a first install of Lr to a 3-month-old Win 7 install, so it's not picking up old Lr Prefs. I don't use auto-update for anything and CC app is only started for updates (although I suspect it has services running). I tried your suggestion anyway and it didn't help.
-
[related?] I think some 6 months ago, I could immediately access the menu when starting Adobe Acrobat. Nowadays it feels like an annoying 5 sec wait during which it's probably trying to force an online connection. I am either not always online, or I use a firewall, or I don't want to jump on new updates -- so this stuff is just suspicious and very annoying to me.
I know some apps have online features everywhere that I could forget to turn off, and I have of course no issues with your monthly legal checks. Anyway, it already seems to me Lr may have the same menu delay now (possibly because I can't turn off the update check).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rikk,

In my Creative Cloud App I have Auto-Update turned off. I turned it on and repeated my tests. No change at all. The Lr "Automatically check for updates" option in Preferences still reverts to on after turning it off and restarting Lr.

Switched Auto-Update off again in my CC App.

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are able to reproduce this internally now. That said, automatic updates should be governed by the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App going forward. This may have become a legacy setting as a result. We are investigating to see if this Preference setting is now obsolete. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 9.3, an update to Lightroom Classic, went live on June 15, 2020 and contains a fix for this issue. Please install the update and respond back if it does not cure the issue for you. Thank you for your patience!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Rikk,

I assume this problem can be marked off as fixed since the option has been removed from the General Preferences. Updates handled by the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App as you mentioned previously.

Votes

Translate

Translate