• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Preset Preview doesn't respect image orientation

Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2019 Aug 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just discovered this as a new problem in LR Classic 8.4, this isn't present in 8.2.

In LR if you hover over a preset in the preset browser a preview of the effect is displayed in navigator and main screen. In 8.4 however if image is in portrait orientation and the preset contains either brush or radial actions these will be incorrectly displayed in the preview - they appear squashed. When you actually apply the preset however they apply correctly. 

Preview:

Applied:

Preview:

Applied:

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
15 Comments
LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2019 Aug 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem in version 8.4 - it would be great if this can be fixed in a soon released 8.4.1.
the problem is not in 8.3.1 though.

thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem as Ingomar Leitner!  In version 8.4 - hope so too, should be really fixed in 8.4.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Same for us in version 8.4! Please solve it asap

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem in Ver. 8.4. !!! Please fix it soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem...
Would be nice if this could be fixed very soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just seen exactly the same thing happens with JPG images but it's actually applied that way as well 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem! I would really appreciate if you would fix this soon!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be that there was a regression in 8.4 where for some reason it doesn't seem to respect the EXIF orientation field when it previews images like it used to in 8.3.1, as such when it applies a preset with any sort of brush or radial in it then it gets squished with the wrong orientation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here!! With 8.4 .. NOT AMUSED!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 03, 2019 Sep 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
We have logged a bug for the same and will be fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2019 Sep 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant, thank you Prabal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2019 Sep 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ps. let me know if you'd like me to send you some brush presets for testing. Not quite sure how to do that on here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Sep 10, 2019 Sep 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using Lightroom Classic 8.4 with Windows 10, and I'm noticing some weird things related to the preview for presets containing a radial filter, specially when working with portrait-orientation images.

1) If I create a top-left radial filter from a portrait image, then when hovering over it in the Presets panel, the preview will show it on the opposite side (right). But when applying it and moving the cursor away from the preset, it will stay in the right place.

2) If I try to apply the same preset to a landscape image, then both the preview and the applied filter will be on the opposite side.

3) If I create a top-left radial filter from a landscape image, and I choose a portrait image, the preview will be correct as I hover over the preset, but as soon as I click to apply it *and* move away from the presets panel, the real result will be upside-down in the image (it will be bottom-left).

Maybe the fact that presets created on landscape image work the opposite on portrait images is normal (I don't think it should be, though), but I think it's definitely not ok that the preview when hovering doesn't match what you are really getting.

This is a little complicated to understand (all this landscape-portrait-top-left-etc. thing sounds confusing), but if you watch the following video (see below) I think you'll get it (in the video I only show (1) and (2), but you can try (3) by yourselves). The short version is that something seems to be wrong when showing the preview for presets with radial filters on images in portrait orientation. 

=================================
Video: https://youtu.be/WjKZFXmaHh8
=================================

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updates to Lightroom Classic, Camera Raw, and the Lightroom Ecosystem were released yesterday and contain a fix for this issue.  Please install the appropriate update and see if it solves this problem. You can read more about the updates here.

Thank you for your patience. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Is it possible the problem still occurs in situation when you're using Smart Previews? I'm using LR classic 9.2.1, just observed the behavior described in this topic and made a quick test.
Created Preset containing only one graduated filter (horizontal direction). I mean the 'global Preset', which appears in Presets tab (on the left). Two portrait orientation photos - raw files. For the first one I generated Smart Preview and left the second one as Original only. 
Then I used Preset preview on both of the photos (just hover the mouse over the Preset). In the first case the preview shew the filter in vertical (instead of horizontal) in the photo. In the second one, it was displayed correctly in horizontal direction.
As described at the beginning of this topic, after applying the Preset, the effect was correct for both photos, so it's still the problem with Preview only.
Could you please check if you observe the same behavior? And if yes, hopefully it would be easy to apply the fix also to the photos with Smart Previews generated.
Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate