• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Quick Develop VERY slow on my system (6 sec vs 1 sec in LR 5.7)

LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2015 Apr 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC
Quick Develop
When I make any changes to a file (D800 NEF) in Quick Develop in Loupe view, I get a message "Loading" for about 4-6 seconds (forever) before the change is rendered. In LR 5.7, the same thing takes less than a second.
Fresh install of LR CC.
System Preferences reset to default, just to be sure.
"Use Graphics Processor" enabled (no difference when it is disabled)
MacBookPro 2014 fully loaded (i7,16GB,1TBssd) OSX 10.9.5
No other software running.
This makes "Quick Develop" largely unusable!
Please fix, ASAP.
Thanks.

The new GPU assisted speed in Develop module seems to be working fine, is appreciated, and is getting closer to how it should be.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
90 Comments
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2015 May 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria, yes, I understand. Thanks for all your work.
It ain't easy putting out a new release of software so complicated and sophisticated. Thanks for your efforts with this software to make our jobs "easier" (different) ;).
But for now, I'll have to step back while y'all develop, and I try to get my work done.
"You can recognize the pioneers -- they're the ones with the arrows in their backs!" ;)
Best regards.
Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I hope adobe is working on a fix for this. Haven't heard much from employees on this thread.

The slowness of generating previews is absolutely horrible. In Print module, it's 5-10 seconds to resolve the image. I can't even use slideshow at all, as the image doesn't resolve before it moves on to the next image.

I have turned GPU off, and am using a lower resolution preview setting. (I'm on a 27" imac).

I appreciate the difficulty of putting out a new sw release. But LR5 was working fine. The number of problems introduced with LRCC is incredibly frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to chime in here, I'm finding CC very sluggish

6 core MacPro, 24G ram, and SSD's throughout

Much slower than 5.7.1, I frequently get the spinning colourful wheel of death (which is does recover from but didn't get it with LR5)

Haven't seen much point in upgrading to CC so far, I hope Adobe issues some serious updates shortly

https://www.piranhaphotography.com>Douglas Fry<br />https://www.piranhaphotography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling GPU helped with the keywords coming up. That's much faster now, but God forbid I hit the "O" key (facial recognition). That brings everything to a grinding halt. I upgraded to 6.0 primarily because of the facial recognition (I tag EVERY photo with who's in it). I have > 227,000 photos in my library, so, for me, this was a desirable feature. Here's hoping it gets MUCH better in the next point release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it's kind of a joke to find that the two major new features (face recognition and GPU acceleration) both have to be disabled to make LRCC usable at all.

It would be funny if it wasn't such a drag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anyone from adobe here reading this thread? It would be nice to hear some acknowledgement of this issue, and better yet to hear that they are working on a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean other than Simon Chen, the engineer who commented above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2015 Jun 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simon, any update? Last we heard was a month ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 08, 2015 Jun 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread has digressed a little bit from the original report of quick develop being slower in some setup. I have a reproducible case of slow down when rendering a specific HDR floating point photo. I have logged a bug for investigation. It seems the noise reduction was the main culprit. Tons of local brush also added to the slowdown. The team is still investigating that.

The team also investigated other reports of performance slowdown in 6.0 and has made a few fixes.

When reporting performance issues, it is important to be as specific as possible in describing your computer and Lightroom setup, usage scenarios, test files etc so that the team have something concrete to follow up with and try to reproduce. It might require a bit of experiment on your part to try to isolate as much as possible.

There is some Lighroom performance optimization tips https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/... that you can try to experiment with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update, Simon.
Glad you guys are aware and following this thread, and doing what you can do to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i7 4770k @ 3.5ghz, 16gb ram, Dell u2410, Windows 7, 4GB GTX 970, EVO 840 250GB ssd

LRCC gets slower the more I use it. After just 20 minutes, the Library module is very slow. Selecting multiple photos takes many seconds just to complete the selection and the 'sync settings' button only becomes active after a few seconds. Very sluggish and slowing down my workflow big time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the size of your catalog? Do you have Lr mobile sync turned on? Automatic face detection turned on? Does Lr start responsive and become slower and slower over time within the same application session? Have you tried optimizing the catalog? What preview size did you specify when you import?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The catalog size is small, only 40MB. Face Detection and mobile sync are off. It does start responsive, then becomes slower after only a few minutes within the same session. I've tried optimizing and nothing changes. The preview size are 'medium' 1920px.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2015 Jun 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LRCC grinds to a halt whenever I'm in the Devlop module and attempting to use any brush or tool. I'm so displeased and frustrated with LRCC that I'm considering going back to LR5. I've tried all of the suggested tweaks and "fixes" and none of them work.
Hopefully, we can get an actual Adobe employee to investigate why LRCC gets slower with every update. At this point, it has slowed my workflow by almost 90% when it should be speeding up my workflow by at least 50%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2015 Jun 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simon - I am experiencing the same frustrating slowness - I am running a brand new machine and "build standard previews" takes approximately 9 seconds to build a single preview. When trying to work on a wedding of over 2300 initial images, this is excruciating compared to the dozens per second previews that LR 5 was able to generate. This is but one specific example of the slowness I'm experiencing with LR CC - having been a user for almost 5 years now, I've employed all of the recommended optimizations. Sync, Address, and Face detection are all paused (no change in slowness). Here are my system specs to help illustrate the problem:

Lightroom version: CC 2015.0.1 [ 1018573 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Operating system: Windows 8.1 Business Edition
Version: 6.3 [9600]
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 16
Processor speed: 2.9 GHz
Built-in memory: 32655.5 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32655.5 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 6124.4 MB (18.7%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 6532.4 MB
Memory cache size: 5742.6 MB
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 8
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
System DPI setting: 144 DPI (high DPI mode)
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 4096x2160, 2) 4096x2160
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
GeForce GTX 980/PCIe/SSE2

Check OpenGL support: Passed
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 353.06
Renderer: GeForce GTX 980/PCIe/SSE2
LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom
Library Path: H:\2015 Catalog\2015 Catalog\2015 Catalog-2.lrcat
Settings Folder: C:\Users\Kenneth\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) Behance
2) Canon Tether Plugin
3) Facebook
4) Flickr
5) Leica Tether Plugin
6) Nikon Tether Plugin
7) SmugMug

Config.lua flags: None

Updated Toolkit: Adobe Camera Raw 9.0 for Lightroom 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: Book Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: Develop Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: Import Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: Library Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: Map Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: Monitor Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: Print Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: Slideshow Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: Web Module 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.AgNetClient 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.AgWFBridge 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.Headlights 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.LibraryToolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.MultiMonitorToolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.archiving_toolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.bridgetalk 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.catalogconverters 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.cef_toolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.coretech_toolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.curculio 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.discburning 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.email 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.export 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.ftpclient 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.help 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.iac 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.imageanalysis 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.layout_module_shared 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.pdf_toolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.sdk 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.sec 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.socket 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.store_provider 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.substrate 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.ui 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.video_toolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.xml 6.0 (build 1014445)
Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.wichitafoundation 6.0 (build 1014445)
Adapter #1: Vendor : 10de
Device : 13c0
Subsystem : 111610de
Revision : a1
Video Memory : 3896
Adapter #2: Vendor : 1414
Device : 8c
Subsystem : 0
Revision : 0
Video Memory : 0
AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 1024
AudioDeviceName: Speakers (Sound Blaster Recon3Di)
AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2
AudioDeviceSampleRate: 44100
Build: LR5x102
Direct2DEnabled: false
GPUDevice: not available
OGLEnabled: true

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Face Detection is on, turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is off for me, still 9 seconds per standard preview

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows, try changing your shortcut to start with LR with a lower CPU priority:

So instead of the shortcut target being just this:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\lightroom.exe"

Make it this:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "Adobe Lightroom" /belownormal "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\lightroom.exe"

With the theory being that the main LR process may be getting in the way of some other processes that are causing it to slow down and making LR lower priority will allow those other processes to speed up. It sounds counterintuitive but it can help in some situations.

The one thing you lose with this altered shortcut is the ability to drag-and-drop to LR to start an Import. So it's worth having another LR shortcut that is the normal one for when you want to do that.

In your case the issue is WITH import, so you'll need to be initializing the Import differently than drag-and-drop.

Another idea would be to turn off the GPU in case DNG Conversion rendering the preview uses it, although I don't think it's supposed to.
--
Finally, if you don't convert to DNG in Import, can you do it afterwards, and have the two steps be quicker in total? I'm not a fan of converting to DNG at all, since it makes the files unreadable by non-Adobe software, so don't have personal experience with doing such, and may be I'm imagining things that aren't possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2015 Jun 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did bring the speed down from 9 seconds to 6 seconds, some improvement for sure, but still exponentially slower than Lightroom 5. Thank you very much for this suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm back on LR 5.7, LR CC is just Too Slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an idea: Why doesn't Adobe FIX THE ISSUE since it is obviously occurring on both platforms (PC and MAC)?
I just doubled my RAM yesterday (to 16gb) and it's still quite slow. I stopped using a dual monitor setup and that didn't even help.
Render times are 10 times longer than they were on 5.7, and yet here I am stuck paying for a subscription to Lr CC and Ps CC.
Sorry if I seem a little angry here, but I wasted 2 hours on the ADOBE Help Chat with someone who barely spoke English, and rather than actually HELP ME he continually posted links to Forums I'd already read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, me too. if not fixed soon I'm going to stay on LR 5.7 and cancel my CC subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of blaming our systems, fix LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2015 Jun 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'll try to share some details. LR CC here is very slow compare to the 5.7.
I first tried to disable GPU but as the slowness is in every module, it doesn't change anything.

I use LR in full screen but when I switch to a different app (let's say safari as I type this post), windowed, on top on FullScreen LR CC, this one start to blink (especially the module menus on the top-right). Note same behavior with Lightroom in windowed mode. There are some display events that are slowing down (locking) the other component of the software.

I was lucky to being able to record it:

When move the cursor, it is so slow I have a lag of 1-5 sec before the cursor moves and of course, the photo area to display the changes only after those few seconds.

Configuration:
i7 quad core - 8 GB - MacMini - Yosemite 10.10.3
Single monitor, 1920 x 1200 - HD Graphic 4000

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to throw my hat in the ring and let the lightroom developers know that I've also experienced significantly slower previews since joining the LR CC. I've tried rendering the 1:1 previews which works great for culling through the library and trimming down wedding photos, but once you switch to the develop module all hope is lost! While the "loading" wheel spins, I grab coffee, update my facebook status, and practice meditation. In a year or so I should have the wedding edited.

Votes

Translate

Translate