• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: "Built-in Lens Profile applied" isn't always displayed for embedded lens profiles

LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When editing a photo with an embedded lens profile, the message "Built-in Lens Profile applied" often doesn't appear in the Lens Corrections panel.  To reproduce:

1. Download this catalog, which includes 32 raws from various Nikon Z cameras and lenses with embedded profiles:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sy42uni5okojm5j/lens-profile-bug.zip?dl=0

2. With another catalog open, do Preferences > Performance > Camera Raw > Purge Cache.

3. In the downloaded catalog folder, delete <catalog>Previews.lrdata and <catalog>Helper.lrdata if present.

4. Open the downloaded catalog.

5. Go to Library, select all photos, and do Library > Previews > Build 1:1 Previews.

6. Select the first photo and go to Develop. Observe that the message "Built-in Lens Profile applied" is missing from the Lens Correction panel.

7. Regardless of whether the message is missing, zoom to 100% and then zoom to Fit. Observe the message is now displayed.

8. In the filmstrip, click on another photo and back to the photo in step 7. Observe that the message is now missing again.

9. Repeat steps 6 - 8 for other photos in the filmstrip.

Tested on LR 12.5 / Mac OS 13.5.1 and Windows 11.  See the attached screen recordings and System Info.txts.  

The bug seems to be triggered by the presence of full-resolution negatives in the Camera Raw cache. If building of 1:1 previews in step 5 is skipped, then it's much more unpredictable about whether the message is initially missing.  But regardless of whether it's initially missing, zooming to 100% and then back to Fit loads the full-resolution negative into the cache, and then clicking away from the photo and back causes the message to disappear.

There have been reports over the years about the message not being displayed for Z cameras and others, but the issue was always intermittent.  Some of the reports apparently didn't get copied over from the old feedback forum, but I did find these two threads:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/raf-from-fujifilm-x-t5-not-loading-buil...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/missing-nikon-z-camera-and-lens-profile... 

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

I've logged a bug, John

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
4 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've logged a bug, John

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnrellis 

A request from the team:

"Can you check with the user if they have "Use Smart Previews instead of Originals for image editing" enabled in Preferences->Performance? If yes, can they disable it once and check if the issue is still reproducible?"

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes indeed, with problem occurs with the recipe above only when Use Smart Previews Instead Of Originals For Image Editing is enabled.  With that option enabled, it occurs even when no smart previews have been built.

I had thought my Windows 11 test was done on a virgin Windows and LR installation with default settings, but evidently not -- something I'll be more careful of in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Rikk Flohr: Photography, the bug recipe now works correctly in LR 13.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate