• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Rendering issues: pixelated image while making adjustments or brushing

Engaged ,
Dec 16, 2012 Dec 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 4.3 final (on Windows 7 64bit, with an ATI Radeon HD5450, latest Catalyst 12.10 drivers) gives me some really weird rendering issues in the Develop module that were not present in the RC ("beta 6").

As long as I hover over the knob of a slider after making an adjustment, the image is not properly updated/refined and stays in an unrefined/pixelized state. This happens with ALL sliders in all sections of the Develop module. It was working in LR 4.2 and LR 4.3RC.

What's more, when I use the local adjustment brush, I see a MUCH larger area than the size of the brush affected initially as I add a brush stroke; only when I release the mouse button the adjustment is rendered correctly. Again, this too was working in LR 4.2 and LR 4.3RC.

Things I have tried: update/revert the graphics drivers (I tried a total of FOUR different driver versions). Update/revert the mouse driver. Delete the ACR cache. Start with a fresh catalog and no plugins, just adding something like 100 photos. Nothing helps.

To say the least, it is ANNOYING that something like the rendering in the Develop module is changed from an RC to a final version when it has such a MAJOR impact. It renders LR 4.3 final practically unusable for me; I've reverted to the 4.3 RC (which is faster and more responsive than 4.2 was).

Adobe Forum thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4926364

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
28 Comments
LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2012 Dec 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see it too in 4.3, but not in 4.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the confirmation Dorin. May I ask what system (OS, graphics card) you are using?

Also, I do not see these problems in ACR 7.3 with PS-CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 64. Sandy Bridge laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2012 Dec 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problems here. Tried all ways to move a slider and they all work as expected. Same with the Adjustment Brush, no issues at all.

Also Win7 64bit, Ati HD5750 graphics card, though not updated to latest Catalyst version (still at 10.3).

Have you tried resetting the Preferences file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim, I'm aware that it doesn't affect all W7/64bit/ATI gfx constellations.

I tried resetting the preferences file but it didn't help either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect this is due to an optimization we added in 4.3 to keep rendering speed up while moving the sliders. Initially we draw from a smaller image size, then fill in with more detailed pixels once you've let go of that control. I had not heard of the issue with the local adjustment, however, and will ask one of our QEs to investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Julie. I'd be all for such optimizations! If I can be of ANY further help tracking the problem down please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 20, 2012 Dec 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, no issue on OS X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paolo, how large in mpx are your files? Does your Fit view happen to fall between 1:4 and 1:2 or higher/lower?

This could well be a platform issue too, as this implies mouse tracking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't generalize it to "no issues on OS X" Paolo. It's great if 4.3 final works for you, but in the forum thread that I linked above there's one Mac user (reply #10) seeing problems with the adjustment brush as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2012 Dec 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Win7 64 and having render issues that I didn't have on previous version, is not vga issue since export jpg renders the artifacts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 24, 2012 Dec 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dorin, tried both on my MBP screen, where Fit view is smaller that 1:4 and my 27" LCD where Fit is between 1:4 and 1:2.

Alexander, I can't speak for anyone but me, it's pretty obvious. Sometimes, especially on the large external display, image refresh is very slow, but never frozen.
I suspect that a temporary slowness may be confused with the issue you described, at least on OS X. At least —FOR ME—.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Dec 31, 2012 Dec 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed that the image display is temporarily incorrect when 'drawing out' a gradient with the gradient tool. Once the gradient end points are set it then redraws the image with the correct color. It's as it Lightroom doesn't use the display profile when drawing out the gradient tool. I've occasionally noticed with with the adjustment brush as well.

I've seen this is in LR 1-4 when using an external display on Mac OS versions 10.4-10.8. And FWIW, it's especially noticeable when connected to a projector.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2013 Feb 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am finding that the render time for standard previews, from a Canon 5D MK2 raw file, has gone from 3-5 sec, to 15-20sec per file in this current version 4.3 of Lightroom. On an event with 2500 images, it now takes over 10 hours to render the standard previews.
My MacPro is new, 12 core 2.66GHz and has 48GB of ram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Feb 20, 2013 Feb 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Richard, my report is about rendering issues while in the develop module and applying both global and local edits to an image. The issues that I describe have nothing to do with preview rendering as far as I can tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem here in LR 4.3. Sometimes the rendering is not finished and show a pixelated version of the picture. And, in some cases, after showing the not-finished picture, it gives me an "Unknown error" occurred.

LR 4.2 was much faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Feb 25, 2013 Feb 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is fixed for me in Lightroom 4.4 RC. Rendering speed while applying adjustments appears to have improved with it.

Just please don't change this between RC and final again. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2013 Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed in 4.4 RC for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Apr 08, 2013 Apr 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again, Adobe screwed it up in the final! I can't believe this.

In 4.4 RC, changes are rendered fine when I adjust the sliders. In 4.4 final, I have to move the mouse AWAY from the slider for it to render the refined adjustments! It was FIXED in the RC, and it's BROKEN again in the final! Why are these functions being touched again when people report HERE that they are fixed in the RC?!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2013 Apr 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so glad you mentioned this. I'm having the same problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2013 Apr 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use LR 4.4 final

I remeber facing this problem, when using ONLY the external monitor. Is it the same same case for you?

I just unplugged and re-plugged the monitor it seems working. However this cannot be the solution.

However I don't remember the solution.
It could have benn related to monitor profiles, graphics card, color profiles etc.
Sorry don't remember.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean with "external monitor", Serkan? A secondary display? I am using a desktop computer and only have one monitor, connected via DVI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working on an image right now, and I'm having the problem again. One monitor. What a bunch of garbage!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2013 Apr 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oooops, in this case it is something else.
In my case, Lightroom 4.4 have the above issues when I work with a Secondary Display; when I am on notebook PC there is no problem.
(It may have to do with the graphics card. It is Intel).

And:
Why does it write "SOLVED" for this topic on the top???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Apr 25, 2013 Apr 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is marked as solved because it WAS solved in 4.4 RC, but then reappeared in the final.

I don't think that anyone from Adobe is still paying attention to this topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate