Engaged ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue:

• LrC 12.2 
  • macOS Ventura 13.2.1

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a Smart Collection with one rule: "Label Color" = red (or any other color given to any photos in the Catalog).
  2. The Smart Collection gets populated immediately with all photos labeled "red" in the Catalog.
  3. No Filters are applied.
  4. Exit Lightroom Classic.
  5. Re-open Lightroom Classic.
  6. The Smart Collection shows 0 photos and displays the following message: "No photos in selected Smart Collection."
  7. Switch between Grid and Loupe View, or switch Filters On/Off.
  8. All photos previously present in the Smart Collection re-appear.

Expected result: After re-opening LrC the Smart Collection should show all photos labeled "red" (or any other color chosen in the Rule dialog).

Actual result: No photos are shown.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Setting status and adding bug number. 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Greetings all,

Updates for Adobe Photography products have been released.  The April 2023 updates contain a fix for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
22 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not able to replicate this with the steps provided. Moving to Discussions to see if anyone else can reproduce. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug was already present in LrC 12.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps an important "detail": In the "Metadata" menu, my Color Label Set is "Bridge Default". Is yours too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to replicate this issue either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your "Color Label Set" the "Bridge Default" one (in the Metadata menu)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to reproduce it. Lightroom Classic 12.2, MacOS Ventura 13.2.1, MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max processor. After creating the smart collection I see this:

1 2023-02-24 18-40-21.jpg

After restarting Lightroom Classic I see this:

1 2023-02-24 18-40-39.jpg

Please note that although Lightroom Classic says there are no images in the smart collection, the metadata panel suggests that it does have an image selected...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was following your original recipie.  I switched to "Bridge Default" and created two photos with the Red Label using "Bridge Default". I also have a large group photos with LrC default labels marked RED.  Restarting LrC, the Smart Collection showed there were 2 photos in the collection but it displayed all the LrC RED labeled photos with a WHITE label badge which is the correct badge to show but they are the wrong photos.  Swithching between Loupe and Grid did not fix the issue.  

Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 10.53.38 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to my above post, using my test catalog the filter bar shows the correct 2 photos with a restart.

Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 11.04.17 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography 

I was first unable to reproduce this issue but now I can with the OP's extra info about "Bridge Default". You might what to retry it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the problem too.  It appears to happen whenever you have a smart collection with the criterion "Label Color is <color>" and the current color label set maps <color> to a label that's something other than <color>.  E.g. "Label Color is yellow" and the current color label set maps yellow to the label "Jim Croce".

Most likely at startup LR is populating the smart-collection counts before it's read the label sets./

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That probably explains it. I did not use 'Bridge Default', but I do use custom labels so my red label is not called 'Red', but 'Focus Stack'.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set the Color Labels to Bridge Defaults and I reran the test. I do not get the same results as the OP but I do get the 'wrong results'. I will log a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting status and adding bug number. 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings all,

Updates for Adobe Photography products have been released.  The April 2023 updates contain a fix for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2023 Apr 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is fixed in my LR 12.3, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There still is a similar issue with the color labels. 

Setup:

• LR Classic 12.3
  • macOS Ventura 13.4
  • Apple M1 Max

Steps to reproduce:

1. set Metadata Color Label Set to "Bridge"
  2. mark any photo with any color label
  3. activate color filter in either library module filter attributes or develop module "Filter" icon menu by selecting any previously set color label

Result:

zero images found: "No photo selected"

Expected Result:

previously labeled photos appear in filtered result

Workaround: 

• Use "Lightroom Default" Color Label Set – works as intended

or

• select "Show photos with 'Custom' Label" – this at least shows any labeled photo even with "Bridge" labels, but of course not filterable by specific color

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Addendum:

LR appears to set multiple color label sets to a single photo depending on the chosen set.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Set Metadata Color Label Set to "Bridge" and add a RED label to Photo-01
  2. Set Metadata Color Label Set to "Lightroom Default" and add a RED label to Photo-02

Filter returns following results:
Filter set to RED > Photo-02

Filter set to Custom > Photo-01

So the problem seems to lie within the filters inability to work with labels other than the default set and does not switch its search / filter function alongside with the selected metadata color label set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

@PatrickG, color labels can be confusing, and what you describe is the intended behavior.

All photos have a metadata field Label, which can contain any text, and you can enter that text in the Metadata panel:

johnrellis_0-1685719805316.png

A "color label set" provides a mapping between text in the Label field and colors displayed in LR.  The two sets you mention are:

Bridge Default: "Select" = red, "Second" = yellow, "Approved" = green, "Review" = blue, "To Do" = purple

Lightoom Default: "Red" = red, "Yellow" = yellow, "Green" = green, "Blue" = blue, "Purple" = purple

So let's work through your example:

1. Set Metadata Color Label Set to "Bridge" and add a RED label to Photo-01

The Bridge Default set maps the text "Select" to the color red. So typing 6 to assign the color red to Photo-01 stores the text "Select" in the Label field:

johnrellis_1-1685720570449.png

2. Set Metadata Color Label Set to "Lightroom Default" and add a RED label to Photo-02

The Lightroom Default set maps the text "Red" to the color red. So typing 6 to assign the color red to Photo-02 stores the text "Red" in the Label field:

johnrellis_2-1685720742430.png

3. Filter set to RED > Photo-02

When you then filter by clicking the red square in the Filter bar, Photo-02 is displayed because its Label text, "Red", is mapped by the current color label set (Lightroom Default) to the color red.  Photo-01 is not displayed because its Label text, "Select", isn't mapped to the color red by Lightroom Default.

4. Filter set to Custom > Photo-01

When you then filter by clicking the white square ("Custom") in the Filter bar, Photo-01 is displayed because its Label text, "Select", isn't mapped to any color by the current color label set (Lightroom Default).  Photo-02 is not displayed because its Label text, "Red", is mapped to the color red by Lightroom Default.

Note that smart collections have two criteria, Label Text and Label Color, that let you distinguish between those two.  Label Text searches through the text contained in the Label field, while Label Color searches the colors mapped by current label set from the Label field texts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@John R Ellis thank you very much for the detailed response. 

The process you described makes sense. But either I misunderstand something or the bug is existent. Because once I have chosen any metadata set and labeled a photo with a color, I expect the filter to work by selecting that color. And that doesn't work. It only notices any label from any set as custom. Even if the correct set is activated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"once I have chosen any metadata set and labeled a photo with a color, I expect the filter to work by selecting that color. And that doesn't work. It only notices any label from any set as custom. Even if the correct set is activated."

Can you provide a precise sequence of steps that misbehaves? The previous steps you posted were behaving as intended, as I described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will you please understand that your issue has nothing to do with the original subject of this thread and thus start a different thread? The issue I first reported about is solved. Your issue is different. Thank you for your understanding and for starting a new thread!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Such a nice and friendly way of you to talk to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate