• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Soft Proofing then cropping can result in a blank work area.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi...new here and not overlay technical in knowing how to describe but here goes:  in LR when I go to 'develop' and cropping...using the overlay tool and cropping the image makes it totally disappear from the 'proof preview'.  I then have to click on the original pic and back to the cropped picture where I can see it in the lower frame windows (small on the bottom) and it will reappaear in the proof preview for me.  This is new in the last month.  Previously when I would crop, it would simply do that in the proof area and be visible throughout the editing process for me.  I wondered if there is a glitch or if I have inadvertantly changed a setting (hoping not).  Anyone recognize this issue?  Help?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Ah, OK - I had missed the soft-proofing aspect and I can also reproduce.

I am using Lr Classic 12.2.1 on Windows 10 22H2 build 19045.2788. 

GPU is NVidia GeForce RTX 2060, driver 31.0.15.2698

Use graphics acceleration "Off": turn on Soft Proofing. Activate the Crop tool. Adjust crop boundary. When prompted, click on "Create Proof Copy". Resulting proofing virtual copy rhen displays correctly for adjusting the crop,

Use graphics acceleration "Auto": same steps. Except after creating the new p

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

@Leslie25935848l9bj 

I can duplicate this issue.  It appears to be a BUG.  If you are going to make a "Proof" virtual copy anyway use the "Create Proof Copy" under the Histogram when you first start working.  Then you will have no issues with the crop of the Proof Copy

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Thanks @richardplondon  with the additional information provided, I was able to reproduce as well. I've logged a bug with the team. 

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Greetings all,

Updates for the Adobe Photography Products have been released.  The December 2023 updates contain an update for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
14 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post if it helps you get responses.

<moved from using the community>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Often when things don't appear correctly on screen as people edit, this has to do with graphics acceleration. That is where the fast electronics within the graphics card get called in to do some of the display calculations, which would otherwise be left to be done more conventionally by the computer's main processor. Using the conventional processor is reliable and well tested but not the quickest. The graphics acceleration can give a much more responsive experience (when it works well), but can cause weird display issues (when it turns out to be incompatible in some way).

To check this, you can set 'Use Graphics Processor' to OFF in the Performance tab of Lightroom's Preferences. I would also suggest then closing and re-starting LrClassic. And see whether the cropping preview goes back to normal. Perhaps then updating the driver software for your particular graphics card might improve its behaviour, when later re-enabled.

To help you explain in any followup or other queries: the narrow section along the bottom of the screen showing small versions of your images, is usually called the "Filmstrip". And the larger central section is just the main window - or similar words to that effect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Leslie25935848l9bj 

I can duplicate this issue.  It appears to be a BUG.  If you are going to make a "Proof" virtual copy anyway use the "Create Proof Copy" under the Histogram when you first start working.  Then you will have no issues with the crop of the Proof Copy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I had fixed it....but after a reboot it is still here.  I will try your suggestion now.  Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This method does work....how do I go about reporting the bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi....all my drivers are up to date.....I did try this and then rebooted.  Same issue.  Another person has suggested it is a bug as they were able to produce the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to replicate this issue with the steps provided.

Please provide complete step-by-step instructions for reproducing. 

Also, because this was originally posted to the wrong forum and the Community Expert moving the post did not retain the platform tag, I need to know what OS you are using. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, OK - I had missed the soft-proofing aspect and I can also reproduce.

I am using Lr Classic 12.2.1 on Windows 10 22H2 build 19045.2788. 

GPU is NVidia GeForce RTX 2060, driver 31.0.15.2698

Use graphics acceleration "Off": turn on Soft Proofing. Activate the Crop tool. Adjust crop boundary. When prompted, click on "Create Proof Copy". Resulting proofing virtual copy rhen displays correctly for adjusting the crop,

Use graphics acceleration "Auto": same steps. Except after creating the new proofing virtual copy, the main window in Develop shows completely mid grey - no picture, no ctop interface. Exiting crop tool using Close button in that panel, all other adjustments show unavailable (greyed out) and main window continues to show featureless grey. Clicking onto a different photo in Filmstrip restores normal behaviour on that image. Clicking back to the newly made proofing copy, it then shows normal behaviour. Same result if you have not closed the crop tool before switching to the different photo.

As mentioned, if the proofing copy is created before going into Ctop there is not an issue. It seems to arise when the new prrofing copy is created, and switched to, during Crop adjustment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @richardplondon  with the additional information provided, I was able to reproduce as well. I've logged a bug with the team. 

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes...that is the issue completely.  I have no problem doing it the way Bob suggested however it is something that has 'changed' in the last 3 weeks for me....didn't have to do this route before.  I'm glad you were able to report the 'bug'....I appreciate all help received here.....altho I find these forums anxiety provoking as they, too, aren't easily navigated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no...not easily navigated....thank you for your help.  (hopefully I'm responding to the person who mentioned I posted in the wrong place.....didn't really know where to go with the question)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue: Crop Tool in Develop not properly selecting/displaying next image after excluding current image using Colour Label attribute filters.

LRC Version: 12.2.1

MacOS: Ventura 13.1 (22C65)

Device: Apple 16" MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Max)

Steps to reproduce:

(Auto Advance setting in the Photo menu is Off.)

1. Set an image Attribute filter using Colour labels (eg. show only images with No Colour label).

2. Select a single image.

3. Enter Crop Tool.

4. Change current image Attribute label so that the image is excluded by the set filters (eg. set colour label to Yellow).

Expected result:
Current image is excluded from images displayed in the Filmstrip/Grid and the next image becomes the selected current image and shown in the crop tool with other Develop tools active and ready to be used. (This happens correctly when in Develop mode but crop tool is not being used.)

Actual result:
Current image is excluded and the next image is shown as selected in the Filmstrip/Grid - but no image is displayed in the Crop Tool and all other Develop tools are faded out and unusable.

Notes:
This behaviour always seems to occur when Colour Label filters are set, or a combination of Colour Label filters and others (such as Star Ratings etc). I can sometimes reproduce the behaviour when only a Star Rating filter is set (but no Colour Label filter) - but it's intermittent and sometimes the next image is displayed properly, sometimes it isn't, and I'm yet to work out any preceding steps that could cause the difference.

This behaviour does NOT occur in LRC 12.1 - I reverted back to the older version and checked.

Attached are two screencap vids - 1 shows the incorrect behaviour in LRC 12.2.1 - 2 shows the correct behaviour in LRC 12.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Greetings all,

Updates for the Adobe Photography Products have been released.  The December 2023 updates contain an update for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate