• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Sort by capture time should use filename when times are equal

Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2015 Sep 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I bracket exposure or "motor drive" on my Pentax K-5 II, and sort the files by shutter press time, they do not show up in the right order. To see them in the right order I have to sort by filename (which breaks if I use two cameras or loop my counter past 9999).When I look at the exif data, capture time is only shown to a resolution of one second. What the software should do, when sorting by time, is if photos were taken in the same second, sort them by the index number in the filename.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Updating Status

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
34 Comments
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2017 Feb 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both Unstack and Remove from Stack work now. Not sure how to recreate the problem I had. I'll try it again when I have a big set of pics to try auto stack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 18, 2017 Feb 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great.
Flint, let us know if you are able to reproduce the issue.
Thanks,
Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I tried importing images shot with high-speed consecutive shooting, Lightroom CC mixed up the order of the images. Suppose the actual order of images is 1, 2, 3, ..., 10. Lightroom numbers these images, for example, in the following order: 3, 2, 1, 6, 5, 4, 10, 9, 8, 7. More specifically, I shot images of a person running (forward). If you slideshow the images in the order sequenced by Lightroom, the person will look as if she is running backward, and then suddenly leaps forward and starts running backward again.

I used an Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II to shoot these images. I wonder if this problem is specific to this model of camera or happens with other cameras as well.

How can I avoid this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded a number of sample Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II raw images from dpreview.com and verified that the camera isn't adding the fractional seconds to the capture time (as allowed by the EXIF standard and implemented by many manufacturers).  This aligns with the observation of Mark Levison above with his (unspecified) Olympus.  So:

1. File a bug report with Olympus.  In 2017, there's no reason any camera, especially a $2,000 camera, shouldn't record fractional seconds.  (Sony is also guilty.)

2. It would be trivial for LR to use filename as a secondary sort key when sorting by capture time. This would handle the common case of sorting bursts properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, in Library, do View > Sort > File Name to sort the images by filename rather than capture time.   If you're applying a custom renaming template, be sure to include the original file number in the new filename. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a less-than-ideal workaround, the Any Filter plugin now provides a command, Fix Burst Times, that finds bursts of photos having the same capture time and sets the photos' factional seconds to be increasing in the same order as their filenames, e.g. to .0001, .0002, .0003, etc. This properly orders the bursts in Library when sorting by capture time. 

It would much better if LR used filename as a second sort key, and even better if the recalcitrant manufacturers (Sony, Olympus, Pentax) simply set the fractional seconds in the metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug appears to have been fixed at some point in the last many years. Now in LR 11.2, View > Sort > Capture Time sorts by file name when two photos have the same capture time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography, this bug has apparently been fixed and should marked as such. (It's easy to test -- take several pictures with the same capture date, change one of the file names, and observe that LR uses file name as a secondary sort.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Updating Status

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Fixed

Votes