• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Spot removal removing brush stroke

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I am using the brush tool on some of my photos and after that I decided to use the spot removal tool. Upon doing so it removed more than the spot. It actually ended up removing separate brush strokes I have made. I am not sure how this is possible but please look into this. 

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Greetings,

Updates to the Adobe Photography Products were released yesterday and include a fix for this issue. Please install the December update, restart your system and verify that you are no longer experiencing the issue.

Thank you for your assistance in reporting, providing additional information and, most of all, for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020
71 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Derek Richbell It would be helpful if you can share more details for this issue. 

Is this issue reproducible with the image you shared in the video with the develop settings? If so please share the image with develop settings (xmp file) or export the image to a fresh catalog and share with us. 

Regards,

Ganesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rick

Here's one better; I did a video.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u1anLY2dn1A" style="max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%;" width="640px"></iframe>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Derek Richbell

Ah. I see you did a video, too.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, when I went to record the video, I noticed that a few things had to be true for it to do this all the time. 

1) I had to select auto mask. 

2) I had to have more than one effects brush in play. 

This doesn't mean that it didn't do it in other situations, but that in order to cause it to do it all the time, I had to make sure I was doing these two things. 

Here's the video I posted above....

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u1anLY2dn1A" style="max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%;" width="640px"></iframe>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that this problem has been completely unpredictable on my machine, however I decided to test your observations. My result is slightly different in that only Auto Mask causes the problem. I can use the adjustment brush as many times as I want as long as Auto Mask is off and then, no problems with Spot Removal. 

I'm going to start a new thread with this resolution / problem so that it will be more obvious to Adobe. Giving you credit! 

Link to new thread:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/adjustment-brush-with-spot-removal-bu...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resolved by i4detail, starting a new thread to focus on just the problem and solution so that Adobe doesn't have to wade through the previous long thread. The problem has been reported by both Mac and Windows users. I tested on Windows, don't know if anyone has tested on a Mac. 

Bug:

• apply adjustment brush with Auto Mask on
  • remove a spot anywhere on the image, does not have to be in the masked area
  • an area of adjustment brush is undone 
  • remove another spot (doesn't have to be a real spot) 
  • a different area is undone or sometimes the lost area is redone 

Solution / go around:

• don't use Auto Mask 

Solution / probably less acceptable

• do all edits except spot removal
  • export the image at full resolution, no sharpening, as a jpeg
  • import the jpeg and remove spots 

Great work i4detail 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bill_3305731  Please keep all related posts together. It is harder for our teams to go searching for orphaned posts.  This post is authoritative and links directly to the Bug reporting system. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk, 

There are multiple unrelated posts in this thread which is why I started a separate one for just this problem. 

Bill 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bill_3305731,  I still cannot reproduce this bug, even following your steps.

Is this really removing the brush strokes or is it a GPU rendering issue? What happens when you return to the Library? Are the brush strokes still missing? I say this because my PC is too old to use the GPU for image processing - my GPU can only be used for display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@anthony_blackett 

Oooh. Good call. You're right. It does display properly in the library. But, when I go back to develop, it's back to showing the wrong effect. Hang on...

If I export the image, it shows the original edits. 

If I shut down lightroom and re-open it, it displays correctly in the develop module. 

So it appears to be a display issue, not an actual changing of the mask issue. Good to know. Basically until there's a GPU hack/fix, treat it like Mysterio and don't believe what you see in the Develop module. 

Which is not the best situation to be in, but it is better than having to re-do the masks after the fact....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know. I can breath a sigh of relief for the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bill_3305731 @i4detail @Derek Richbell 

Please share a sample image along with develop settings (xmp file) where the issue is reproducible. Or export the image with settings to a fresh catalog and share with us. 

Regards,

Ganesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Erm. Sorry. New here. How best to do that? I can't upload directly here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can upload to any storage like dropbox or others and share the link over here. 

If that does not work for you, please let me know.

Regards,

Ganesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happen on my Mac 10.15.7 also. A few observations below

1. It seem to happen on most images but sometimes the change is VERY subtile. 

2. Switching to Library clears the issue.  

3. Exported file doesn't have the issue.

4. Happens on JPG and Raw files (didn't try a Tiff)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further more extensive tests on my Windows machine. Tests on DNG, JPG and RAF also including some performance impacts. Here are the details, I'll let you draw your own conclusions except for 3 of my observations: 

1. Auto Mask is a performance hit
  2. Results are dependent on the image and number of modifications
  3. No issue with jpegs

New tests on a DNG:

1. GPU off, Mask on or off, the problem doesn't occur.  

2A. GPU on and Auto Mask on, for this photo, it is necessary to remove at least 3 spots before the brush is partially undone. Prior tests with this photo have caused the partial removal of brush strokes with only 1 spot removal. 

2B. Same as test 2A except Auto Mask is off. The problem doesn't occur until at least 4 spots are removed.  

3. Problem exists in the Develop module, returning to Library and the photo display correctly. Returning to develop and the problem returns. 

New tests on a JPG:

1. All tests show no problem. 

New tests on a RAF (Fuji raw): 

1. GPU off, Mask on or off, the problem doesn't occur. 

2A. GPU on and Auto Mask on, for this photo, it is necessary to remove at least 8 spots before the brush is partially undone.  

2B. Same as test 2A except Auto Mask is off. The problem doesn't occur even after 51 spots were removed. 

3. Problem still exists in Library module. The defect is exported. 

Note 1: Auto Mask slows down painting. 

Note 2: Auto Mask slows down spot removal by at least a factor of 4, probably more. 

Note 3: my hardware configuration 

HP Z440 
Xeon E5-1650 V4 6-core 3.6/4.0 GHz
64GB ECC RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
Nvidia Quadro P2200 5GB (default scaling) 
Dell 27" 4K P2715Q 
Benq 32" 4K PD3200Q 
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB - C-drive
Samsung 860 EVO 2TB 
   -dedicated to Lightroom 
   -Samsung Rapid Mode active 
   -on a PCI-E adapter 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c9jf48ry9ytix6k/michelleadobe.zip?dl=0

Here is the image I used in the video I created here: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1anLY2dn1A&feature=emb_logo

Along with the XML. I notice that the effect is not as pronounced/non-existent if I only apply one brush/one or two spot removals. I have to get to the fourth or fifth spot removal before it acts up. Basically, as the rendering gets more intensive, the problem gets more pronounced (but then goes away for the sixth spot removal)

Mac 10.14.6

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

4.2 GHz Intel Core i7

64 GB Ram

Radeon Pro 580 8 GB Graphics Card

Shooting Canon 6D Raw. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.  For example, if I use the dehaze brush on a whole sky and then select the spot healing tool to remove a single dust spot on the sky, random chunks of the sky unconnected to the spot that has been removed or the source sky used to heal the spot not only lose the benefit of the dehaze brush effect but actually turn almost white.  Renders a photo unusable.  I am using a brand new iMac with up to date Catalina installed (v10.15.7) and newest (10.0) version of Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*richard_wyvill 

Note that, as far as the rest of us have experienced the bug, it is merely a display issue, tied into GPU acceleration. Switch to the library, and your image should look like it should. Yes, it goes back to looking terrible in develop, but the adjustments *should* be there. You could be experiencing something different, so I am using shoulds a lot. 

To get it to display properly in develop, you'll have to restart lightroom. Sorry. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the other thread for this topic, I provided an example where the image, even when exported, was ruined and another when it was not correct after returning to library. . So definitely more than just a display issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @i4detail for sharing the image and other details. Can you confirm if the issue resolves if you disable GPU (in Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor option)?

Regards,

Ganesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bill_3305731 can you help us by sharing the image with settings (xmp file) ?

Regards,

Ganesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is indeed the case. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

USe for Display is on. Image processing is off. 

If I turn it on for image processing, the image doesn't change back to normal when I go out of develop. And if I export...I get an "originals missing for some images" error. Hmm. That might be because I tried to do something else yesterday. Hang on. 

No, exports with the edits correct. When I restart, the edits return as correct. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I won't be at my computer for a few hours so I will send it later. But you can recreate it easy enough. This forum doesn't support sharing raws or xmp files so I don't know how I'm going to do that. How about getting the administrators to add this capability? Should be able to attach a PDF as well. 

• On windows 
  • Start with a raw picture that has a large area with not a lot of variation, a sky will do. 
  • Overpaint a large area with the adjustment brush setting the ev to - 2. Doesn't have to be that strong just easier to see the effect.
  • Switch to the spot removal too. 
  • While watching the painted area, click different areas of the image. 
  • Sometimes the areas are unpainted with the first click, other times it will take 3 or 4.
  • As you continue to click, the unpainted and painted areas will change.
  • Actually took me longer to enter this info than for you to recreate the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate