• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: TIFF file reloads after each Develop edit, potential data loss

Contributor ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR6 (CC), edit TIF file (imported from PS or NIK). Image "reloads" after almost every Develop module edit. In some cases, all previous Develop module settings are lost, and the image reverts to it's original appearance. Even though the previous Develop module edits are still shown on the History panel - they no longer have any effect. Result - total loss of all user edits.

Workaround: disable "Automatically write changes to XMP" in catalog settings. This is what appears to trigger the constant "reloads".

Note this does not appear to be related to GPU - the problem occurs exactly the same whether GPU is enabled or disabled. Also note, the problem does NOT occur when editing RAW files. So far, it appears to occur only with TIF files.

Lightroom CC, 2015 Release
Windows 7, 64-bit, all latest updates
AMD Radeon HD 7700, latest AMD drivers

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 15, 2015 Jun 15, 2015
This was fixed in the CC 2015.1 / 6.1 Update.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 123 Replies 123
123 Comments
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2015 May 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're investigating it from a well informed, fairly isolated standpoint. No promise of a fix - just the workaround to turn off the XMP at this point. I was just adding in that as they investigate it for a fix to not miss checking behavior with a virtual copy being in the loop as well as a raw. Sorry if what I wrote implied there was a code fix. Lyle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to add...Yes, if I take a photo from Lr6 CC, into another editing program, edit, then bring back to Lr, flashing occurs but, if I close Lr and reopen, it goes away until, I send back out and reimport back to Lr then the flashing starts again. I'm working on PSD files. Lightroom ISO base for me. I import from my camera card directly to Lr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, just trying to keep on top of this. I wonder why it's just specific to certain users. Not everyone is affected by this. Keeping my hopes up for a fix though. Thanks to all who is concerned and working on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm finding the same as you Larry, but working on Tiff files. Curiously, this to happened with photoshop edits too in the CC version until a few days ago but now it's only re-imported tiffs from Nik that are a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just an off-the wall thought, but is it possible the reason this doesn't affect everyone, and not always in the exact same manner when it does (like I've not experienced any data loss), could have something to do with the storage configurations on our different systems? On my PC, I have Lightroom installed on my C: drive, which is an SSD. My catalogs are on that drive too. However, all of my images are stored on a separate, standard hard drive, which is where the XMP files wind up. Just trying to think "out of the box" a little.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 13, 2015 May 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of you may have seen this, but there is an active thread on this problem in adobe forums:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/18285...

It was actually started by an adobe employee, which I really appreciate. However his explanation of the basic immaturity of the gpu assist is not encouraging, and there has been no further response from adobe. And as people on this thread have found, disabling gpu does not solve the full problem.

There are 113 responses on that thread. Again, it's hard to figure out how adobe engineers can't reproduce this problem that is hitting so many people on so many different machines, high end to low.

I sincerely hope adobe is working on this, and that we will see an LR update soon. It would also be encouraging if someone from adobe would respond again on this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2015 May 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andy,

As noted throughout this thread, the bug discussed here (losing edits on TIFF files) has nothing to do with GPU acceleration. Additionally, as also noted above, we have now been able to reproduce the problem, and are working on a fix.

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 14, 2015 May 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ben. Yes, this issue, and it seems many others, are not GPU related.

I'm glad you have been able to reproduce this bug. Hopefully it's an easy fix and we see a update soon.

The second biggest issue for me besides this one is the extremely slow and quirky rendering time of images when switching from image to image. Since the main advertised feature of LLCC was increased speed, and sorting thru and handling images quickly is (to me) the heart of lightroom (vs, say, PS) it's quite disappointing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem as reported by everyone else.

After working in Alien Skin 7 the Tiff file back in Develop mode reloads after EVERY adjustment. Frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is already worked on and hopefully we will see a fix soon.
I just wanted to add that this problem apparently is not limited to TIFF files. Yesterday I did some refinements in Photoshop CS5, went back to LR6 and added a gradient filter on the PSD file. Showed the same behaviour: Reload after every slider movement and after the third or fourth change the PSD reverted back to its original state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

May 16, 2015 May 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply put, with XMP files unchecked the problem of reloading goes away. When checked it returns. This is very annoying as I want to use every advantage I can on my images. Lr5 was flawless in my opinion. I don't really want to go back to Lr5 but, at least XMP works. I'm paying for a subscription that is inferior. I have always praised Lr to people, telling them if you could afford just 1 software, Lr is the 1 I would choose. This really needs a fix pretty soon Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 18, 2015 May 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding my comments here to bolster feedback. I tend to work on my images on my macbook before transferring to my iMac so I don't won't disable xmp. I know LR doesn't create separate xmp files for TIFFS etc but I don't want to lose work on Raw images. Using tiffs from SilverEfex I don't lose my edits. Image flashes but edits remain. Switching LR off and back on does solve for that file but any new file created the problem returns.

For tiffs created in ColourEfex I can make say brush edits but after I make the edit I am not left with a control point to go back to, just the edit.

Most irritating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2015 May 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

As stated in this thread, we have been able to reproduce the problem, and are working on a fix. In the meantime you can work around it by quitting and relaunching (which should fix the issue for any existing files, but not for new files generated within the current session). Or you can turn off auto-write XMP. Then, if you want metadata saved to XMP, before you quit Lightroom you can cmd/ctrl-A to select all files, and then cmd/ctrl-S to manually save metadata to XMP.

-Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 25, 2015 May 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experience the same unpleasant problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Paul, I haven't heard yet of a "Fix". Maybe there working on it...Hope so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this issue. Anxiously awaiting a fix!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem. Anxiously awaiting a fix!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem in LR CC on an iMac. I have the issue in TIFF files coming back into LR from Topaz and Portrait Pro. So, the issue is not specific to NIK plug ins. I too am anxiously awaiting a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, please fix I pay a hefty team price every month!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 30, 2015 May 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here: when a NEF or ARW is back in LR CC after being edited in a plugin, using LR for the final touches (once the TIFF is back in LR) is close to impossible, due to constant reloading....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, but with psd files and RAW, too! Some development steps are not done at all, or only after several seconds of waiting. Totally unusable.

(Additionally LR CC still takes half a minute to load, with white screen while waiting. This was a VERY unstable release you published here... 😞 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Is there any update on a likely fix date for this problem?

Like others on here I am paying for the most up to date software monthly but am finding that as I cant trust Lightroom 6 cc at the moment i am still using Lightroom 5 cc.

This issue has now been in focus for over a month and impacts on using third party software with the program.

Many Thanks

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2015 Jun 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Very frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on Adobe, affecting lots of good folks paying for a premium product. Really need a fix for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, Larry. I updated today to CC from 5. Already regretting it. This is a huge pain in the butt.

Votes

Translate

Translate