• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Upgrading Nikon Z9 Firmware to 4.0 breaks tethering

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2023 Jul 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attempting to tether a Nikon Z9 using Lightroom Classic, but LRC can't detect the Z9.  I am able to download pictures from the Z9 to LRC all day long, and LRC successfully detects my Nikon D850 for tethering.  Nikon Z9 firmware is 4.0.  Mac iOs is 13.4.1.  LRC release is 12.4.  All are up to date.  Any ideas?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Cross-referencing to existing bug. 

The obvious workaround is, since the firmware update breaks functionality, is to revert to Nikon's previous firmware version until Nikon can issue a fix.  This has been reported by others to restore functionality.

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Greetings all,

Updates for the Adobe Photography Products have been released.  The October 2023 updates contain a fix for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
34 Comments
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed the same thing the other day.

Another post states that the Z9 V4 firmware broke the tethering. Z9 V3.1 Apparently still works ok.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I can confirm the same. I had a shoot with a client on Friday 7th July 2023 and suddenly can't shoot tethered with the Z9 again 😡 so frustrating. What poor support it's received.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cross-referencing to existing bug. 

The obvious workaround is, since the firmware update breaks functionality, is to revert to Nikon's previous firmware version until Nikon can issue a fix.  This has been reported by others to restore functionality.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, no, for gods sake, not again. Please not back to field one. (I upgraded my Z9 yesterday...) I'll just try and share my experience

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm - just tried and I get even a plain crash 😞 - report sent to Adobe

Screenshot 2023-07-09 145127.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I had exactly that too. Infront of the client...😭

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downgraded my Nikon Z9 to FW V3.1 today. Tethering starts immediately with LrC V 12.4. All functions including Live work perfectly. Win 11 and Macbook Pro M1 Max Monterrey 12.6.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still doesn't work here. It is also super annoying that tethered shooting is still not working on Apple Silicon. And Lightroom classic via Rosetta is still super buggy..

With the new Camera raw update it still doesn't work. Had to download a free version of Capture one today because of a job that required tether shooting..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2023 Jul 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here I thoght it was that I was on Ventura so I went through the hassle of downgrading to Monterey and still no joy.

It's beyond me why Adobe's support for tethered captrue is so poor.

And why is Rosetta required?

Really anoying...

I really don't want to have to downgrade my firemware.

My solution on a shoot the other day was to capture with NX teher and use "Wtched folder" in Lightroom.

It works but not as fast when thereing with Lightroom actually works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I revert from 4 to Nikon's previous firmware version? I cannot find version 3.10 online?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't you save the original download?  Check in your downloads folder. I always keep them for just this reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have a backup in studio however I am on location and was hoping to solve the issue today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

check for a private message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's getting old

Adobe's lackluster support for thethered capture.

After finally suppoting Nikon z9, albeit in emulation mode, it is now brokejn again wth firmware 4.0

I have never had an issuse before like this whre a firmware update broke thethering..

C'mon Adobe !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...Nikon to fix? Nothing could show your saturation state, your complete lack  of attitude towards paying customers and your I don't give a **** state better than this statement. Finally get this piece of sw working years after z9 entered the market and stop blaming others for your constant fail. We pay, you deliver. But, I am pretty sure, you even forgot that one too. God beware some real sw company will decide to make a LR style sw right. You will not have one customer anymore the very next day. I am really sorry to have to be so clear. It's so sad you take just the money for years and years and never ever listen to customers. Make it finally stable, fast and reliable. And stop believing in your PM's AI hype. Simply deliver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2023 Jul 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Je possède un macbookpro puce M1 max et un Nikon Z9.

Lightroom en mode conecté passe sur Rosetta. Puis Lrc ne erconnaît pas le Z9 même après avoir mis en place les explications fournies sur le site d'Adobe.

Version Lrc : 12.4

Version Nikon Z9 : 4.00

Que faire ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,
Jul 26, 2023 Jul 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Z9 firmware V4.0 broke the tethering with LrC. I was able to get full tethering functionality by reverting to the Z9 firmware V3.01 on my MacBook Pro M1 Max

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having issues tethering my Z9. It used to work prior to the new lightroom version. But it could also be the new Nikon Z9 firmware that is the problem.

I can only use Capture one now, which works perfectly every time.

A workaround is to tether into capture one and then have Lightroom auto import to a catalogue.

Lightroom suits my workflow for a lot of my photography so I hope Adobe fix the tethering issue so it is as reliable as Capture One software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Marcus P2 You will see in the pinned top post and others in this thread the reverting to Nikon Z9 firmware V 3.01 will cause tethering to work again. That's on Mac and Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 03, 2023 Sep 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great to know! I always keep the original FW zip files on a specific Nikon folder on my data drive so I can always go back right away if necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately Adobe uses Nikon's API to support tethering and doesn't write their own code for this. Nikon is historically slow to fix their API but they do update their own tethering software. So yeah the issue is with Nikon not yet having updated their API code for third party apps and they broke it by releasing new formware for your camera. Next to reverting to previous firmware, you can also just use Nikon's tethering software and use a watched folder in Classic. This way is nicely Apple SIlicon native and the Nikon Tethering software is https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/imaging-software/nx-tether.page and it is actually quite a bit better than Adobe's tethering solution in that the live view works well and it has more settings options.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It took an age for Adobe & Nikon to get the Z9 Tethered on LRC - now after numerous updates I cant get it to connect again.  I know there are many people in the same boat.  Tried on both iMac & Macbook Pro using all the latest firmawares and operating systems all upto date.

The Z9 is found on the computers, even Lightroom can see it (as per attached image) but cannot connect to the camera... 

Any suggestions please? (I have followed all the advice on restarting etc etc etc).

z9 Tether Screenshot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you recently update the firmware on your Z9 to version 4.0?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and it is now 4.01

Votes

Translate

Translate