• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: When trying to add files to Collections I get this error: ?:0: attempt to compare two nil values

Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed LrC 10 and when I went to add images to a target collection, I get the following error: ?:0: attempt to compare two nil values.  This is really holding me up organizing my photo book.  Please help.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Updates to the Adobe Photography Products were released yesterday and include a fix for this issue. Please install the December update, restart your system and verify you are no longer experiencing the issue. Thank you for your assistance in reporting, providing additional information and, most of all, for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 124 Replies 124
124 Comments
LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@John_R_Ellis Hi John...Trying to use your workaround...but not seeing View > Sort as an option. Clicking on the collection I want to add from, going up to the menu, clicking VIEW and what next? There is no option to Sort in the View menu. What am I doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to View Menu >> Grid View (G)

Then below the grid, change the Sort By Option to anything but Custom. 

SortBy_01-4bae8aba-d2b2-445b-ac9d-14270759fff3-220913858.jpg
SortBy_02-e8f36034-3f84-42b1-95dc-bb7ba3d71830-219990337.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*artthatsmiles Did it default to custom when it stopped working? Try changing the target collection to anything but "custom"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Trying to use your workaround...but not seeing View > Sort as an option."

Go to Library grid view (e.g. type "g"). Then you'll see the View > Sort menu (see the screenshot):

ScreenShot20201112at2.18.45PM-5d0a764f-f681-4fea-ab54-74dbcb650892-1258182158.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Parker and everyone. I had misunderstood and had changed the source folder to anything but custom initially. When I changed the target collection to anything but custom order, it worked. Thanks for your assistance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here also on a MAC. It is 21 days later now. Clearly not fixed yet. Would be nice if they do not release new versions without proper testing first. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Quick Collection fix that worked for me.  Like others, any attempt to add an item to the quick collection with a B or clicking the little dot at the top right of the image resulted in the error described above.  Changing the order of the collection did not work.  I opened my quick collection and saved all images as a new collection so I would have my picks.  Then I removed all items from the quick collection.  I went back to my original problem collection and was able to add to the Quick Collection with no issues.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works for me too. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having same problem after installation of Big Sur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem after moving to Big Sur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this error message when trying to add an image to the quick collection. I used it yesterday and it was working fine. I tried to remove and import the image again but got the same error. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just today, whenever I try to drag photos into a collection, I get the error  "An internal error has occurred: ?:0: attempt to compare two nil values".

It was working fine half an hour ago, I'd added about 20 photos to the collection, and then it just suddenly stopped working. Eventually, I realised that the problem was with one specific collection, and tried deleting and recreating the collection, which fixed the problem. Just leaving this here in case anyone else has the same problem....

(Lightroom Classic 10.0, Build 202010011851-ef6045e0)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this bug seems to disappear when the order the pictures in the grid is NOT "personalised"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also installed LrC 10 on my MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2015, macOS Mojave 10.14.6) a couple of days ago and I get the same error "?:0: attempt to compare two nil values", but on two completely different occasions:

1.  if I want to add an image to my quick collection. Grid sort changing does not help in my case. 

2. if I work on images stored on my NAS (WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra): Here, it is really bad, I get the error all the time if developing my images. 

Did anyone have the same problem when working on an NAS, too? Any help is highly appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced the same problem, specifically dragging images to  a Gallery in the SmugMug LR  Classic Plugin. It was recommended that the problem could be fixed by going to Library>View>Sort> Ustinov Order, and change the order. For me it did not work, so I eventually deleted the Gallery, a d reloaded it with success. This has occurred twice, and each time the workaround worked.

Where my problem started was when I deleted some images in the Gallery, and subsequently reloaded them after running the Dng images through the DXO PhotoLab V 4. LR Classic Plugin.

Adobe Support told me that this is a known issue that is being worked upon.

I hope this helps.

Adrian T.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Extremely frustrating for this not to be working.   Please fix the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John Ellis for the work-around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@John_R_Ellis

Ditto... the workaround worked for me today, too. 

Thanks a ton.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updates to the Adobe Photography Products were released yesterday and include a fix for this issue. Please install the December update, restart your system and verify you are no longer experiencing the issue. Thank you for your assistance in reporting, providing additional information and, most of all, for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  🙂  It worked for me.  And besides, it was not that troublesome anyway.  LR is a great product.  Keep up the good work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to use this workaround for adding photos to quick collection but keep getting the same nil message. Is there any other workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has lightroom made any updates to this problem yet? All the posts seem to have been made a month + ago and I am still having the same problem of not being able to add to a collection or the quick collection. It is now December 9. The work around (changing the sort) does not work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

*El hoo Please upgrade to 10.1 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate