• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

99% of my photos are for the web - why does Lightroom make such bad quality small files + a possible

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just been putting up with the fact that Lightroom creates bad quality small files for years and I'm at the end of my tether!

SEO demands small image files and users don't want to look at images that look like ****

I have had an extra step in my workflow which I have to pay for separately for to compress the files https://compressor.io/

If I export files small in Lightroom, the quality is awful, yet if I run large Lightroom files through compressor.io then I get a small good quality file.

The bottom line is that Adobe are a huge company that could invest in their image compression to compete with small web apps. Or even buy out compressio.io and appropriate the tech.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post some examples of exported files processed in Lightroom and in Compressor.

Do not attach the files, use the Insert photos button in the toolbar.

Insert-photos.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Neil W.22976602evmv wrote:

I have had an extra step in my workflow which I have to pay for separately for to compress the files https://compressor.io/

The fact that you have to pay for it is a big sign. Adobe uses the same engine in Lightroom as it does in Photoshop. It balances quality and speed. If you want much better quality at the same size, it will be much slower to export files. 

Do note that a recent bug was discovered if you export using the limited by file size option and you use any of the editing masks. It radically lowers the export quality because it forgets to take out the size of the mask from the file size calculation and lowers the quality so much that it looks horrible. This should be fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Define 'small files' and what format you're using from Lightroom Classic.

As suggsted, provide screen captures of what you find "bad quality' and ideally, upload via something like Dropbox or similar, the master image if you can (raw or otherwise) so others can examine the original and export using defined settings (by you) to see the results.

As for output to JPEG, you may want to view:

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never had this problem with Lightroom Classic.

Show us screen captures of your Export dialog box, the sections entitled File Settings, Image Sizing and Output Sharpening. (You may need more than one screen capture). Include the screen captures in your reply by clicking on the "Insert Photos" icon. Do not attach files.

What is the size in pixels (width and height) of the original image? (Do not tell me megabytes)

Show us the poor quality in one of these exports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would also help if you:

• Let us know the version of LrC and OS you are using?
  • What are the options you select in Exporting in LrC?
  • Does SEO perform any post processing of specific types of files?
  • How are you exporting the files to be used by compressor.io? What are the options in compressor.io you are selecting.

There are multiple points in your worflow we need to understand more about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is SEO?

What are their upload requirements?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization.

It's possible that web page loading time is a factor here, could be that short loading time means higher ranking.

https://developers.google.com/search/docs/beginner/seo-starter-guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What is SEO?

By @GoldingD

As Per mentioned, one definition of SEO Search Engine Optimization butI am not familiar images being part of that (but I could be wrong). I assumed it was the name of a service the OP was using

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines