• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding captions to images

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to add captions to images showing my contact info, the source or origin of the image and the URL where downloaded document was found.  Many of these are downloaded images of text documents.  I want to keep the originals caption free and just export a jpg of the image with the caption.  Is this possible within LR?  Or, is there a plug-in that will do the job?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

@ek_wyk wrote:

I need to add captions to images showing my contact info, the source or origin of the image and the URL where downloaded document was found.  Many of these are downloaded images of text documents.  I want to keep the originals caption free and just export a jpg of the image with the caption.  Is this possible within LR?  Or, is there a plug-in that will do the job?

No, there is no option to add these things on export. I have no idea if there is a plugin that can do that, but I do

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your export from Lightroom Classic (you said Lightroom but I assume you meant Lightroom Classic) can have as much or as little user-provided metadata as you would like. In the Metadata section of the export dialog box, you can select how much metadata to include in the exported file. (If you are talking about Lightroom and not Lightroom Classic, then the answer is "I don't know" and you are in the wrong forum)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ek_wyk wrote:

No, there is no option to add these things on export. I have no idea if there is a plugin that can do that, but I doubt it because it's an unusual request. Most people would simply add this info to the original in the catalog, and then include these metadata in the exported image.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I suspect what you are after-

1) You can PRINT an image to a FILE and add metadata using a 'Photo Info' preset (that you design)

Rob_Cullen_0-1659485602090.png

2022-08-03 09_51_40-Window.jpg

or

2) A Plugin called "Mogrify" has possibilities of adding metadata 'tokens' to an image in the Export dialog-

2022-08-03 10_10_39-Window.jpg

MOGRIFY

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rob.  You got me on the right track and I figured out how to work with cell size and editing Photo Info in the Print Module to get what I want.  However, I'd really like for my caption remain with the image in the Library as part of processing so that I can export it out to other folders and to share with others.  Thus leaving the original unchanged without the caption.  I'm guessing you are going to tell me that can't be done???  I can print to a pdf with my mac, but I really need it to stay a jpg (which is what I need).  I'm trying to avoid having two files in my filing system: the original without caption and the one with caption.  I want the original to stay in my LR catalog and the captioned one in my computer filing system.  Thanks again, at least I got the caption on the image!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I'd really like for my caption remain with the image in the Library as part of processing"

Well it does- Any caption you give in LrC is stored in the Catalog, and only the catalog, unless-.

For a raw file: If you save metadata [Ctrl+S] the metadata will be written to a sidecar file on the disk. (eg. CR3+XMP)  (The exception is DNG files)

For an RGB file (JPG) (or a DNG): If you save metadata [Ctrl+S] the metadata will be written into the JPG (or DNG) file.

If you only shoot JPG, then Caption metadata added in the Library will be written to JPGs if you save metadata to files. (that can be an automatic  preference option.)

An Export from a raw original out to a JPG will include the Caption metadata within the JPG- if you allow all metadata in the Export dialog.

Example: My images-  the original raw (DNG) and the Exported JPG-

2022-08-03 17_20_45-Roberts Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg2022-08-03 17_20_58-Roberts Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg

Even Windows 'Properties' viewer will show the Caption metadata (as "Subject" ) written to an exported JPG-

2022-08-03 17_31_48-JPGs FOR CLUB.jpg2022-08-03 17_30_55-JPGs FOR CLUB.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines