• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adjustment brush won't work.

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2012 Nov 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded the paid upgrade from lightroom 3 to lightroom 4 and my adjustment brush won't work at all.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 11, 2012 Nov 11, 2012

The O key shortcut toggles an overlay colour, which will tell you whether you are successfully painting "mask" or not. If set to Erase, or otherwise zeroed as Hal P Anderson says, nothing will happen regardless of the strength of the selected adjustment. The adjustments themselves can be changed before you start painting, during or after.

If you don't see the individual adjustment sliders, note that the brush panel has an expanded and a collapsed mode, controlled by a small arrow at the right ha

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, what is the problem that you're seeing? We need a much better description if we are going to be able to help.

Hal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just bought lightroom 4 when I try to adjust any settings on the adjustment brush (to edit a specific area) it will not make the changes at all. For example if i wanted to change the contrast on someones eyes, or dodge a specific area. It will not do anything. I also tried downloading the trial version it does not work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If any of Size, Flow, or Density is set to zero, you won't see any effect. Could that be your problem?

Hal

Lightroom_2012-11-11_20-15-49.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2013 Apr 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That solved my problem.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The O key shortcut toggles an overlay colour, which will tell you whether you are successfully painting "mask" or not. If set to Erase, or otherwise zeroed as Hal P Anderson says, nothing will happen regardless of the strength of the selected adjustment. The adjustments themselves can be changed before you start painting, during or after.

If you don't see the individual adjustment sliders, note that the brush panel has an expanded and a collapsed mode, controlled by a small arrow at the right hand end of the "Effect" line.

Besides the mask overlay, the adjustment sliders can also be used to set a deliberately extreme adjustment so you can see what you are doing, and then you can tone that down to taste afterward. Dragging on the "pin" to right and left sides respectively, exaggerates or mutes all of the sliders - moves them proportionally further away from, or toward, their zero points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2012 Nov 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My adjustment brush won't work either. The red mask that shows the affected area is VERY faint. Even when I repeatedly go over the area. I've tested it with all kinds of different adjustment options, and all levels of intensity. Changes are hardly noticable, no matter what I try.

Density is 100, Flow is 30, and size is well over 0 (but obviously changes based on which kind of adjustment I'm trying).

I installed an update to LR4.1 last night, it would seem this is glitch in the update? Is there any way to revert back to the version I had?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2012 Nov 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DuVal86 wrote:

Density is 100, Flow is 30, and size is well over 0 (but obviously changes based on which kind of adjustment I'm trying).

Turn up flow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2016 Sep 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Victoria!! This helped solved my problem!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2015 Mar 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this problem,  but none of the above steps are working.   Lightroom CC

My adjustment brush was working fine, I took a break, and when I came back the brush won't do anything. The pin appears but the image doesn't change. I've tried adjusting size, feather, and flow all over the scale, and I've pushed the exposure down as far as it will go so I can see if anything happens. None of the regular exposure, highlight, shadow... settings are doing anything. It is showing up in the history bar

I have tried closing and reopening the program and computer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2015 Apr 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible you're using the new Brush option available within either graduated filter adjustment tools?

image1.JPG

Check which tool is highlighted... in the picture above, Ive chosen graduated filter but you can see there is the word "brush" below.

If you press 'K' whilst in the develop module, it should take you to the correct brush tool.

HTH

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is just happened to me. Thank you marinepix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2017 Aug 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about if the word "brush" isn't even there? Ok having issues with my editing showing up and after looking at this picture, I see it's not even there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post a screenshot of what you see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Brush to modify the Gradient Tool adjustment was introduced in LR version 6.0

Which LR number version are you using?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m having trouble with my adjustment brush. I select an area and it masks the area in red, but when I dgo to adjust the sliders, it affects the whole image and not the areas that I selected to adjust. What am I doing wrong? i am trying to adjust skin tones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can only adjust the sliders that are in the Brush panel immediately below the tool when the tool is active.

You are possibly adjusting sliders in the Basic Panel, that appears further down the panels on the right. (scroll up?)

In the Brush panel There is also a small black triangle on the same line as the word- [Effect: ] clicking this triangle will collapse all the Brush sliders down to one slider called "Amount".  The "Amount" slider can vary the opacity or effect of ALL the combined Brush sliders that you may have adjusted.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super helpful! I'm new to lightroom and couldn't figure out this problem for the life of me 🙂 Hopefully I learn it eventually!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A little easier now to detect- the spinner 'triangle' is white!

Took me years to discover also!

Why did the UI developers not use words for clarity, instead of this small triangle spinner?

The UI uses "Clone & Heal" for the spotting Brush. Why not "Expand & Contract" for the Brush?

http://youtu.be/f7Ad4AYrNik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My god I was going crazy trying to figure that out. THANK YOU!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.  This was most helpful.  Thank you very much.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines