• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After changing computers Lightroom classic can't open catalog "file not writable"

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a new computer and copied all my photos and catalog etc. to the new computer. When I try to open the catalog I get the error that says it can't open the because the file is not writable. I changed all the permissions on the catalog, photos so that they are read/write by everyone. I am on windows 10 home and the only user so I am an administrator. Have I lost all my work?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Also, using Windows File Explorer, check the ownership of the catalog file. Since it came from a different computer, while your username may match on the new computer, your ID may not.

If that is the case, you should be able to either "take ownership" of the file or give "everyone" read and write privs to the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you put the catalog file into a newly created folder as under Pictures?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This resolved my problem after moving the catalog file from external drive to Pictures on the PC and opening the file there. Thank you dj_paige!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, using Windows File Explorer, check the ownership of the catalog file. Since it came from a different computer, while your username may match on the new computer, your ID may not.

If that is the case, you should be able to either "take ownership" of the file or give "everyone" read and write privs to the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2018 Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you "give "everyone" read and write privs" to an entire external drive ?

I have the same problem working on an external drive I share between 2 computers.

Now my Lightroom catalog cannot be opened anymore on both computers. Note that I cleaned the drive with windows utilities before because the .lock file remained and could not be deleted. I also had the problem not being able to save back up versions in the past when closing my lightroom project.

I don't understand why this shoud be a permission problem, because on the same drive, I currently work on premiere pro and after effects projects which have no problem recording the project file.

Plus I succedeed to open another LR project on the same drive. It just looks like the project is corrupted, nothing to do with windows permissions.

Help !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe,

it looks like my catalog is corrupt and I cannot find any other support choice for LR than forums in the creative cloud interface.

Where can I send you my catalog for analysis ?

Help needed urgently, I cannot access my work anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines