• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

alternatives for freeing up space on c:

Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 500 GB SSL c: drive and I'm almost out of space.

The largest user of that space are my image files (190 GB), many of which are RAW and large. 

I've been trying to think of ways to open up space on C: that are simple and don't lead to other, major problems.

My current thinking is to move some of my image files to an external drive (physical disk), but I worry about performance....I'm assuming that transfer rates to an external drive, even a new one, will be slower than accessing files via an internal bus to an SSL.

On the other hand, I think that LR doesn't heavily read/write to the image file and this might be less important than I'm fearing.

I'd welcome comments on the pluses and minuses of my scheme as well as other approaches that might work as well or better.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Yes, I have always used the operating system to move large quantities of images and then have used the "update folder location" feature to realign LrC. It works very smoothly and very quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving your images to an external hard drive won't impact performance at all. Leave the catalog and other associated files on the C drive. Just move your library of images to the external drive, and everything will be just fine. I have my images distributed across three different external drives and LrC performs just fine. LrC simply needs to know where the images are located. All of the activity takes place in the catalog. As long as the external hard drive is connected so that LrC knows that the images are there, that is all that is necessary. If the occasion arises where you need to leave the external behind you can always create smart previews on the main hard drive to allow you to continue working while the external is disconnected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My current thinking is to move some of my image files to an external drive (physical disk), but I worry about performance....I'm assuming that transfer rates to an external drive, even a new one, will be slower than accessing files via an internal bus to an SSL.

I think disk speed where the photos are stored makes only a trivial difference to LrC. Moving photos to an external drive frees up space on your C: drive, and you'll never even notice the change in speed in LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With those reassurances, I'm now moving folders from c: to an external.

I'm doing this (in the left/navigator panel) by dragging a folder from one drive to a folder on the external drive.

This seems to work, but for the 2nd time,  progress seems to have stopped.  The progress bar for MOVING FOLDER is no longer moving.  Task manager says that LrC is using CPU, but there's nothing in LrC itself to indicate something is happening.  In left panel, the folders formerly on c: are now grey and show "no photos in selected Folder".  But on the external drives folder listing, of the 8 subfolders that were under the parent, only 2 appear and are grey.

Frustrating to see nothing happening!
I had this problem before and closed/relaunched LrC and that seemed to work, but I'd rather know what's going on here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and, when I look at the folder using File Explorer, some of the sub-folders (and their files) are now on the external, but most are not....further supporting the suspicion that the process has frozen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm doing this (in the left/navigator panel) by dragging a folder from one drive to a folder on the external drive.

Moving large amounts of photos within the LrC interface has been known to have these problems. Move them in your operating system via the instructions in "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location" here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's sort-of good to know that this is known to have problems.

But, asking naivly, if I move the source file using Windows, won't I lose any adjustments I've applied?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

Follow the instructions I gave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The adjustments are in the catalog, and moving the images is just moving the images. The catalog remains totally intact. All you have to do is update the folder location, and everything else falls in the place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have always used the operating system to move large quantities of images and then have used the "update folder location" feature to realign LrC. It works very smoothly and very quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,

Using this and it is, indeed, quick and easy.

I wonder why Tim Grey (my primary source of LR info) always says to move things from within LR?  It certainly failed for me more than once.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Every trainer has their own ideas of how things ought to be and how things should work. I have never watched any of his videos. My only experience has been that moving things within LrC has made it too easy (for me at least) to drop images and folders in the wrong location and lose them. That is especially true when moving large quantities. I am much more comfortable using the operating system to do that. There are some YouTube trainers I like, and others I don't watch at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines