• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Apply user preset during import based on camera model and lens model

Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I change lenses fequently during photoshoot.  I have a preferred basic settings/correction for each lens model.  For example lens A, + sharpening - vibrance + contrast, Lens B, + texture, and so on...  Each profile I have an extra step to add auto apply this present when EXIF metadata = lensModel, cameraModel, etc... during import.

Currently I cannot achieve this because the "Apply During Import" feature can only apply 1 present without any AI. 

Unless there is already a XML feature that I don't know about but if there isn't.  How difficult for Adobe to add this feature?  Would any of your like to have it?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can already apply a preset as camera default in the preferences. If needed, you can even do that by camera serial number. That is as far as is goes and quite frankly I think that is as far as the vast majority of Lightroom users need it to go. I don't expect many people needing presets per lens, especially because applying lens profiles is already included in the camera defaults too.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to apply present applied to camera model during import, is there a link I can take a look?  thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry for the typo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1: Select the 'Override' checkbox.

2: Select your camera model

3: Select the preset you want to use as camera default

4: Click the 'Update Default' button.

5: Repeat this for each camera.

Do note that 'Canon EOS-1D X Defaults' in this screenshot is the name I gave to the preset I use, so you will see another name here.

1 2022-02-24 15-15-18.jpg

 

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quiet cutting it.  The import by camera works but not entirely cutting it.  I have the "lens profile corrects" check box on but make, mode & profile gray out.  I have to manually apply them using filter.  It has been a problem to me.

Someone removed the development tag in my original post just because he/she didn't encounter this issue - it's very rude.  A lens performs differently in differt bodies for example a 70-200mm lens needs few adjustment on body A but not entirely the same on body B just because these 2 cameras have different sensor.  (moreover lens adapters open up mix brand combinations) That's why I'm asking adobe to open up the lens level import workflow.  I have programming backgroud and I know it's only few lines of coding. I wish some Adobe engineers who have many camera and lenses read my post and can understand what I am talking about.  The one time setup will save a lot of time for people like me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the info provided by Johan is not clear enough for you, then check out this Adobe document https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/lightroom-classic/help/raw-defaults.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly a lens performs differently on different camera bodies, but this lens should get 'recognised' at import, or else such a default can be later set up, according to camera body-specific metadata (Lens ID code). IOW the 'default' profile assignment for the same lens is independently managed, depending what it is mounted to.

That only goes so far as the particular lens profile used, though, and does not extend to selecting a different Develop preset to be applied. There is the opportunity to set, though - in the import screen - a particular Develop preset to be applied "first thing" onto that new batch of photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@boisNgyrls wrote:

Not quiet cutting it.  The import by camera works but not entirely cutting it.  I have the "lens profile corrects" check box on but make, mode & profile gray out.  I have to manually apply them using filter.  It has been a problem to me.

Someone removed the development tag in my original post just because he/she didn't encounter this issue - it's very rude.  A lens performs differently in differt bodies for example a 70-200mm lens needs few adjustment on body A but not entirely the same on body B just because these 2 cameras have different sensor.  (moreover lens adapters open up mix brand combinations) That's why I'm asking adobe to open up the lens level import workflow.  I have programming backgroud and I know it's only few lines of coding. I wish some Adobe engineers who have many camera and lenses read my post and can understand what I am talking about.  The one time setup will save a lot of time for people like me.

If Lightroom does not automatically recognizes the correct lens profile, even though you enabled this in the camera default preset, then do the following. Select an image where the lens profile is not recognized. Manually select the correct lens profile. Then select 'Save New Lens Profile Defaults' in the popup menu. From now on the profile should be recognized.

A lens profile corrects for lens faults, such as distortion and vignetting. That is irrespective of the sensor type. The sensor size does make a difference because a smaller sensor crops the image, but that is something that Lightroom will take into account.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please hear me out, the Leica does pick up the correct lens profile with the "enable profile correctoins" check box selected.  I also reckon Canon does pick up the correct lens profile.  But Nikon is not picking up anything.  (P.S. my Lightroom Classic is up to date)

Thank you for take this into consideration - I am so excited to see this to happen. Currently manual workflow using the meta filter to apply correct lenes and basic settings to each lens is very time consumming. 

I also believe that the market has changed, there are tons of lens-adapters that passes thru EXIF.  I am quite sure many photogs love this idea if they see this post.   Going back to different sensor within the same brand, the difference is not tiny, Nikon cameras redending very differently across models.  Moreover, some older lenses need to add sharpness for example.  Therefore only vingenette and distrotion correction are not enought.  Anyway enough said... meanwhile I can only wait and hope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please hear me out, the Leica does pick up the correct lens profile with the "enable profile correctoins" check box selected.  I also reckon Canon does pick up the correct lens profile.  But Nikon is not picking up anything.  (P.S. my Lightroom Classic is up to date)

The Nikon image files with no lens profile probably use a "Buit-In" lens profile (i.e. Z series). What model Nikon camera?

Going back to different sensor within the same brand, the difference is not tiny, Nikon cameras redending very differently across models.

What rendering parameters are you talking about? Distrotion, Vignetting, and Sharpening, settings should be the same regradless of the camera body used. Can you provide example raw files that display rendering differences along with a description of what you are seeing? Also, color and tonal differences between camera models are corrected using custom camera profiles, not lens profiles. More here on raw default setup:

https://helpx.adobe.com/il_en/lightroom-classic/help/raw-defaults.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines