• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Arrows in both directions

Contributor ,
Sep 25, 2024 Sep 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the latest version of LR Classic on an Acer desktop. Having done absolutely nothing to deserve it, about 70% of the photographs I recently imported have a small box over the image with arrows heading in opposite directions. What is this? And is there a way to decode Adobe's opaque and confusing symbols?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe if you hover your mouse icon over the symbol you will get a tool tip.

The symbol you describe is probably the indication that you have an embedded preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Embedded Preview. An option setting in the Import dialog to increase speed of imports.

The embedded preview badge will disappear when standard previews are created or the image is developed.

https://greylearningblog.com/meaning-of-thumbnail-badge-icons-in-lightroom-classic/

An image synced to Lightroom will show a single 'double-ended arrow'.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.4, Photoshop 25.11, ACR 16.4, Lightroom 7.4.1, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.1.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 26, 2024 Sep 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob

This is extremely disheartening since I never changed any settings when I imported. Because I am constantly bombarded by extraneous considerations - last week it was bit size, the scratch disk - I carefully follow the same process. I just want to work with the photos and don't want to go down the rabbit hole to learn about previews, which I don't want or need (unless I'm mistaken and they are some crucial aspect of the process). But if I understand you, you are saying that once I switch from library to develop these icons will go away. But then how do I return to the import settings (which I never btw altered) so I don't continue to have this distraction? If there is an article not filled with arcane language and down the rabbit hole explanations, it would be great to know about it. In the meantime, thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2024 Sep 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I never changed any settings when I imported"

Perhaps its time to look at the settings in your import dialog. It has been known (rarely) for options to change with upgrades.

In particular the 'File Handling' panel-

2024-09-27 06_52_49-Lightroom.jpg

"...don't want to go down the rabbit hole to learn about previews, which I don't want or need (unless I'm mistaken and they are some crucial aspect of the process)..."

They ARE a crucial aspect. You would not see any photos in Lr-Classic without a preview of some kind. You have those choices in the Import dialog to create the size of Previews when you import.

"how do I return to the import settings (which I never btw altered)"

Click on the [Import] button

2024-09-27 07_11_45-Roberts Catalog-v13-3 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg

Open the File Handling panel in the Import dialog and change.

If you don't see the File Handling panel, you may have the Import dialog in a compact mode that can be expanded by clicking the 'down arrow' icon. (Lower-left of Import dialog)

2024-09-27 07_13_57-Lightroom.jpg

And the History panel will always record the appearance of your unaltered image. ie. the 'Preview' as it was at the time of import.

2024-09-27 07_01_28-Roberts Catalog-v13-3 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg

I you absolutely don't want to see the 'badges' on the photos- turn them (Thumbnail badges) off in the Library View Options [Ctrl+J] in Grid view mode.

2024-09-27 07_04_56-Roberts Catalog-v13-3 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg

Lightroom Previews - How to Build the Right Size of Previews - fstop Training

CATALOGS- HOW THEY WORK

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.4, Photoshop 25.11, ACR 16.4, Lightroom 7.4.1, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.1.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines