• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatically Save "Folder Name" to photo metadata/tags in that folder?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2024 Aug 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

QUESTION: I'd like to have the "folder name" where an image is saved in LRC included as a tag/metadata in each image automatically or thru some bulk action.

BACKGROUND: I have all of my images stored on a hard drive in folders that are named with Date and event.  Hundreds of folders within folders and over 100,000 images.  These folders and the images inside them are then sync'd with LRC.  Using LRC face recongnition, I tag each image with the names of the people in the image. I then write that metadata back to the file to make sure that it always stays with it.  I would love to also save the information contained in host folder name to each image because it relates to the overall event.  With hundreds of folders within folders, i'd love to do this automatically or using some type of bulk action rather than folder by folder or image by image.

Screen Capture Below?

Folder-File Sample.png

 

TOPICS
Experiment , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click the Customize button at the bottom of the Metada panel, and add Folder under Basic info.

You can also choose to have the file path displayed.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> QUESTION: I'd like to have the "folder name" where an image is saved in LRC included as a tag/metadata in each image automatically or thru some bulk action.

You'll need a plugin for that kind of bulk action. Look up my Search and Replace, and use its Transfer function to copy from Path to Keywords. It then creates keywords to match each level of your folders. You can test this without buying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, I just purchased your plug-in.  My quick testing showed me how powerful a tool it is.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great, it's a Swiss army knife of a plugin. While it should fix this specific problem, I hope you'll find plenty of other jobs for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much!  This is more information about my question than i've been able to find in a year or two.  I will check out both options and see what works best..  I'm very encouraged.  Thank you again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This dialog appears when you copy from the Path to Keywords - the magenta text showing a preview of the keywords that will be created.

johnbeardsworth_0-1724958750612.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines