Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Backup drive disconnects when downloading from memory card

Enthusiast ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

My system is programmed to copy new images to a backup drive whilst downloading them to my library. But today, while watching the Previous Import folder and Finder simultaneously during download, I noticed an alert advising me that my backup drive was "improperly disconnected" - and in fact the drive no longer appeared in Finder.

Subsequently, another alert informed me that my new image files were not able to be backed up to their projected destination (for the obvious reason that the backup drive was disconnected by a mysterious force exactly 5 minutes after the download process was initiated - and only at this point did new images started appearing in the Previous Import folder and the down load process proceed and complete).

What is that internal mysterious event that prevents the download process to proceed for 5-6 minutes until it disconnects my backup drive? Has a new incompatibility appear between the image downloading process and the backup procedure, a conflict ultimately resolved through the disconnection of the troubling backup drive?

Thank you for enlightening me as to how this nuisance can be dealt with. Please note that I repeated the download process several times trying to figure the problem out - to no avail.

Raphael

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

It appears that you may have a hardware failure.  I recently had a similar problem; the culprit was the connection cable between the USB port on the computer and the EHD.  I replaced the cable and all is well.

You might want to perform some tests to determine what has failed, most likely intermittently as was my case.  It could be the USB port on the computer...try a different port, the connecting cable, try a new cable, or the EHD, try a different drive, perhaps internal drive, a flash drive or

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that you may have a hardware failure.  I recently had a similar problem; the culprit was the connection cable between the USB port on the computer and the EHD.  I replaced the cable and all is well.

You might want to perform some tests to determine what has failed, most likely intermittently as was my case.  It could be the USB port on the computer...try a different port, the connecting cable, try a new cable, or the EHD, try a different drive, perhaps internal drive, a flash drive or a different EHD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Absolutely right Joe!

I knew from experience that cables and USB sockets are .. uh ... temperamental. It should've kicked in.

I just shifted sockets and ... vadavoom ... everything went back to normal. Sometimes it feels like life hangs by a thread.

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines