• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I update Lightroom Catalog on external hard drive and Apple iCloud or Dropbox

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently i am backing up Lightroom Catalog on Lacie 4TB D2 Professional USB-3 and all the photos are also stored on the same hard drive using an Apple Macbook Pro. 

My Lightroom Catalog gets backed every time i close Lightroom, however, i was exploring option to backup on cloud in addition to getting backed every time i close Lightroom on the external hard drive. My first option is to use iCloud Drive as it integrate with my current flow but open to other cloud options like DropBox or IDrive ? 

Any suggestions are highly welcome. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the backup on the same drive as the catalog is not really helpful in case of a drive defect.

Routing the LrC backup to a local sync folder that syncs to dropbox or alike is a much better idea.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your response. so i should only sync the .lrcat file and not the Backups and Lightroom settings folder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I'd sync the backup folder where LrC creates the compressed backups. However, that mainly makes sense if you also adjust the backup to be executed everytime you finish work and quit LrC.

Just to make sure: This has nothing to do with your photos. For your photos you need a seperate backup solution. LrC backup only takes care of the catalog, nothing else!

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both iCloud Drive as well as DropBox should work fine for this purpose. Do note that Lightroom can only backup its catalog to a single destination however, so you would have to do the additional copying yourself.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. If my Lightroom Catalog is stored on an external hard drive will it be possible to store it on icloud ? is there a maximum file size restrictions 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That question might be better to be placed in an iCloud community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can configure LrC to backup the catalogs to any location on your computer or sync folder (e.g. iCloud Drive, OneDrive, etc). Assuming you have sufficient sapce on iCloud Drive, etc and an internet connection, the catalog backup will sync from the local sync folder to iCloud, etc.

Below screesnhots might help with above explanation.

Untitled-1.pngUntitled-2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines