• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't find download Lightroom Classic for Mac (stand alone version / non-cloud version)

Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I enjoyed Lighroom 6 for many years, but my Mac died. Now that I have a new Mac, I want to install it again. I have a license key for Version 6, however I can't find an available download for a stand alone version. Does anyone have a solution? If there's no solution for downloading a stand-alone version without buying anything new, what is the best alternative (possibly with payment)?

Note: I store my photos on an external disk, and primairly use LRC for minor editing and indexing/organizing my photos easily.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

I just hope there's a plan that doesn't require me to buy Cloud space, since that's another subscription....

The Photography Plan 20GB does not require you to buy "another subscription". The one us$9.99 plan is all you need.

$9.99 PHOTOGRAPHY PLAN (USA)

It does not require you to even use any of the 20GB (provided 'free' in the Plan). But if you have an iPhone, iPad, etc- then you can use it! Photos synced between all devices!

"My way of working is to store the pictures on my external hard disk

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What new iMac do you have running what version of MacOS? You cannot install Lightroom 6 on a 64bits only MacOS version.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johan, it's the MacBook Air, running on Ventura. I'm pretty sure it's a 64bits only version. If so, what would be your recommendation? Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that your best choice is to upgrade to the current version of Lightroom Classic. This can only be done by subscription.

Some people have mentioned that you can install an older version of the Mac OS on an external disk, boot from that old version of the Mac OS, and then you should be able to run Lr 6. As I don't use Mac computers, I can't really say more in this case, but I'm sure others will comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lr 6 can be downloaded from https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-lightroom-6-cc-direct-download-links.html

Note that Lightroom 6 requires 64-bit and both macOS Ventura and your new computer are 64-bit. Therefore, you're OK on that requirement. However, Lr 6 cannot be run native on Apple Silicon computers (i.e. M1/M2, etc). Therefore, if Lr 6 does install and runs, then it will be using Rosetta 2 emulation. So, you not see any of the performance benefits of Apple Silicon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 6 will not run on MacOS Ventura, also not in Rosetta mode, because the license check routines are 32 bits. You will have to take a subscription to the Photography plan to get Lightroom Classic.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also worth noting that below linked Adobe document states that 'Lightroom Classic legacy/perpetual versions are not tested on macOS Ventura, and are not supported in any way for use on macOS Ventura'.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-classic-and-macos-ventura.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all, and sorry for the late response from my end. The notifications ended up in my SPAM.

It's clear that the version won't run on Venture, and a switch to the Photography plan is required. I just hope there's a plan that doesn't require me to buy Cloud space, since that's another subscription.... Let me check the Adobe plans, but happy to hear any of your thoughts.

My way of working is to store the pictures on my external hard disk to avoid being 'to tangled up' into software providers. Not really successful with this exercise so far 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Below is a link to the 3 available Photography plans. As you can see, Lightroom Classic is paired with Photoshop and 20GB of Cloud space. With Photoshop and Lightroom Classic you don't actually need the cloud space but its available if you want to sync photos from a smart phone or just ignore it.

https://www.adobe.com/uk/creativecloud/photography/compare-plans.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just hope there's a plan that doesn't require me to buy Cloud space, since that's another subscription....

The Photography Plan 20GB does not require you to buy "another subscription". The one us$9.99 plan is all you need.

$9.99 PHOTOGRAPHY PLAN (USA)

It does not require you to even use any of the 20GB (provided 'free' in the Plan). But if you have an iPhone, iPad, etc- then you can use it! Photos synced between all devices!

"My way of working is to store the pictures on my external hard disk to avoid being 'to tangled up' into software providers."

And that is exactly how Lightroom-CLASSIC works! Your files remain 'local'.

All is exactly like your old Lightroom v6.!  Nothing changes for you when you install Lightroom-Classic except you have all the new features (and Photoshop, and a Portfolio site, etc).

The only 'change' is that you need the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App to- download, install the Apps, and verify your subscription status.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Marketing execs are trying very hard to push new subscribers to the Cloud Lightroom or the Plan with 1TB of Cloud space. (And I don't blame them for their business decisions!)

Leaving off the LrC icon with the 20GB Plan,

2022-12-05 09_15_00-Clipboard.jpg

And placing the Order of the Plans (1TB <> 20GB) in the links-

ScreenShot167.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines