• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot import - no free space

Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2023 Nov 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot import copy or move files to LR 13 CC on a PC. Import starts but after loading 10- 50 images, stops and error messge " could not import file to the destination folder because it is not writeable or there is not enough free space." I am loading to a 8 tb drive with 3 tb free space. If I attempt again, the loading starts but then stops after a small number of images imported. I have read about adding permissions but  it only seems to apply to Mac.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2023 Nov 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What drive is your catalog on, and how much free space in percent (yes, that is %)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2023 Nov 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The catalog is on my C drive that is 1.81 TB and has 718 GB free (39%).
But the LR file has too many old catalogs and data files. I assume most of
these should be deleted. Maybe the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BoatMan99_0-1699825725665.png

These are the files in Lightroom C drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

39% is good, anything below 25% (some say 20) is bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see one issue to bring up and one oddity to mention..

First up, where do you keep your LrC catalog, and Photos backups? Hopefully not on the same hard drive as the originals. That sceenshot shows me that you may be doing exactly that. Bad. Backups on a different drive, preferably more than one.

And as for the oddity, that folder "Lightroom Settings", do you keep your presets with the catalog? (an option)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep my catalog and photo backups on a seperate external drives plus cloud for photos. Lightroom settings file holds some presets. The backup file is empty. It was for old catalog backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"could not import file to the destination folder because it is not writeable"

Is this an external drive where your photos are to be stored? Please check for drive connection problems when this happens. Make sure your operating system can access the drive when this happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am using an external drive. Many other files in the drive I access with no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And is the specific folder that you are trying to import to still working according to your operating system when this happens? Can you do stuff with the files in that fodler with your operating system?

If you run a diagnostic program on your external hard disk's health, what does it say?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the specific folder works and I can do many actions as it stores my total photo library. I ran the error checking on the drive and no problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still need help trying to solve this problem . Any other suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2023 Nov 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not solved this problem. I am dissappointed that this community has stopped helping after suggestions fail to solve the problem. Is there a way to directly contact Adobe for help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, an obvious test, that was forgotten (forgotten to be asked) 

As you are importing, can you copy those new images to the hard drive, to the desired folder, outside of LrC. Use Windows File Explorer, to do that. Then, in LrC, import via the Add option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BoatMan99 wrote:

I have not solved this problem. I am dissappointed that this community has stopped helping after suggestions fail to solve the problem.

'

1.  It is not their job to solve your problem.  They are volenteering their time and maybe have their own stuff to do

2.  Maybe they have run out of ideas

Try an import to your internal drive as a test.  Does that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2023 Nov 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to import the file to the C drive. I then wanted to transfer the file to my external photo library drive. I opened the file in LR import and selected move. Two thirds into the move , I get the same error, not enough room. The files that loaded were okay. I tried a different file to import to my C drive and it stopped after about half way with the same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2023 Nov 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off. NEVER USE MOVE. it can be hazardous, Adobe should really remove, it from LrC

Second off, did you place those images on the C drive via Windows File Explorer? or via LrC Import?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2023 Nov 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported the files to the C drive via LRCC. I also tried importing the files direct from my sd card in Win  Explorer but get the same error message. All the attempts to import always work up to a number of images before the import stops with the error. The number of images might be 45 or 245 but not 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2023 Nov 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So outside of LrC, using the OS, you have the same problem? Then the issue is in the OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2023 Nov 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with @GoldingD  it must be as OS issue if it is happening using Explorer

Is you external drive attached directly to the computer or is it on a network or attached through a Hub?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The external drive is in a 4 bay enclosure. I tried to load to a single external drive connected directly and had the same problem. I am trying to load a SD card with 1800 images and wonder if that might be a problem.I can load high numbers of images (300-1200) from the card to the drives before the error. I can load smaller number of images  from other cards with no problem .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines