• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change of file name in metadata doesn't register.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2022 Mar 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently replaced my computer and was able to update Lr Classic. I am now working with MacOS Monterey + LR Classic version 11.2. Before, I often changed the name of a file directly in Lr (in the metadata). Now I replace the filename and as soon as I switch to another photo, the filename I just replaced reverts to the old name. Has anyone encountered this problem?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2022 Mar 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please use the F2 key to change the name of a file.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you F.  On a Mac, F2 key is use to increase brightness.  Am I wrong ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to hold down the Fn key to toggle between F2 and Screen brightness, but this has nothing to do with your problem. If you try to change the file name in the metadata panel, and the name reverts to the old name as soon as you are finished, then the explanation is that Lightroom can't change the name of the file for some reason. Maybe the file is locked, or maybe Lightroom does not have permissions to change the name.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can change the names for some pictures this morning.  So, yes, it could be the file.  If I meet this issue again, I'll try to figure out.  

I had so many issues with that migration.  First, I couldn't open this catalog (message that it was damaged).  I have created a new one and imported the pictures that were in this catalog.  6K out of 20K pictures have lost their metada (names and color codes).  It will be a long task.   I have a bigger catalog (50K) and the migration was perfect.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly your security settings for LrC on your new computer have not been setup yet. Use System Preferences>Security & Privacy>Files and Folders and ensure that LrC is given access to the various types of Volumes and Folders.

Security___Privacy.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much Jim.  I have verified and every access were given.  See my previous answer to Johan.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Follow-up :

I had to rename and reapply the colour code for about 6000 photos. I had to check the names of the photos on iNaturalist site and it took 7 days / 10 hours per day. My observations :  After a few modifications, it seemed that there was a phenomenon of “too much informations to manage” and the changes were no longer registering (keywords and colors). It was then necessary to leave the catalog without saving and return (only way found).

I have now finished and I admit being very worried about a new crash! Note that I have another catalog that also migrated without any problems.

My set-up for both catalogs :

Mac mini - Apple M1 Chip
Hub - AGPTEK 
Hard drive :  Samsung 870 QVO-Series MZ-77Q4T0B/AM 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD Single Unit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines