• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Code Replacement

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I've looked for another similar threads but they were very old.

Are there any way to replace a text with a code on Lightroom or even on the operative system? I mean, I'm a sport photographer and I want to set the players name but it's easier for me if I could write just a code like "MU1" instead of "David de Gea".

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And where would you do this? Keywords?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keywords or Description... Any metadata

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do the internet searching, but I believe that John Beardsworth has created a plug-in that will do a global text search and replace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Search and Replace . The feature is called Caption Builder and was influenced by the code replacement feature of PhotoMechanic.

Also see this post Caption builder added to Search and Replace and follow the link to Jonathan Pow’s article.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even thouh some time has past since you ask I'd like to share my fiddly solution.

I use PhaseExpress on Windows which monitors all keystrokes when running and replaces certain inputs. You can prepare replacement list similar as with Photo Mechanic. You can also limit PhaseExpress' monitoring to a certain application (e.g. Lightroom) and also do some more advanced stuff which isn't needed for this. 

Some aspects of the replacement (the way it is done) can be configured. Normally it don't tamper with some keys as ENTER etc. I changed this to also recognize some of them so that I could type a caption like "On the left: MU1[ENTER]" without the need for a comma, whitespace or other seperators that could mark the end of a replacement code. (PE basicaly sits inbetween the keyboard driver and the application and analyses all keystrokes while passing them through. With ENTER after a replacement-code its a little special - it first replaces the completed code before it sends ENTER to the application. This way ENTER acts as I like it: It signalises the end of a potential code to PE and after that it signalises the end of my caption editing to Lightroom.)

Main downside is: The replacement happens through tampering with keystrokes in two steps.

1. PE detects a code (MU1,)

2. By quickly sending virtual keystrokes PE undos the code typing (deletes MU1,) and then generates the intended text (David de Gea,)

It's really fast but you absolutly can interfere with this while it sends virtual keystrokes by accident. Lightroom don't know whats happening. It just receives the keystrokes. Imagine clicking somewhere which closes the caption field, while PE still sends some virtual keystrokes. Lightroom then will interprete them as shortcuts (e.g. instead of typing " Gea" this happens: [whitespace] opens the image, [Shift]+[g] opens grid view, [e] opens Library Loupe view, [a] does nothing – worse things could happen with other keys).

Nonetheless it seems to be the best way to add code replacement capabilities to Lightroom (or other applications). I just searched for a better solution myself again hopeing something has changed in the last one or two years. Haven't found anything better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's another option. If "MU1" has enough recognisable meaning to you, but you want other people to see the more useful "David de Gea", you can create "David de Gea" as an added synonym, for the keyword "MU1". Then in the Keywording panel you can change to "will export" mode to preview what keywords other people will see, when an image is exported to which you have added the "MU1" keyword.

That image does not have "David de Gea" applied as a keyword, but by virtue of that synonym, it will now show up when you text search for (e.g.) "Gea". And if you later remove that synonym from the "MU1" keyword, it will then no longer export or function for text searching of images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also a good hint but it only works for keywords and within very strict limits.

Usually for sports photography it's even (way) more important do populate this information to the caption.

Furthermore it basically only works for pure names of top VIPs, while often substitutions like "MU1" → "David de Gea (#1, Atletico Madrid)" are needed; Problem: less famous people change numbers more or less frequently and also clubs from time to time + you often want to be able to reuse codes like MU1 for new events without thinking about past usage.

And you definetly want to use this whole scenario really fast and hassle-free as the main point is to save time and effort. Editing Lightroom's keyword hirachy is (in general a really nice feature but) eventually a bit slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines