• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colour Difference between Lightroom (bright) Photoshop (Duller)

New Here ,
Jul 05, 2024 Jul 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS, Mac Mini, Colours, Dell  S272H, Lightroom, Photoshop

In Lightroom (latest version) the colours of a simple shot obviously brighter compared to Photoshop (latest version). Colours most affected seem to bright yellow/yellow greens.

The colour profiles are identical (set all to PRoPhoto). If I check the same image in Bridge, again brighter than PS.

Tried all on sRGB. No change.

Similarly in Serif's Affintity v.2 colours pretty well the same as LR.... 

All 3 much better than PS!

(And I'm partially colour-blind too!)

Using Mac Mini and a Dell  S272H, reprofiled using a Spyder X Pro

Even printing via (gulp) Epson Easy Photoprint on my old iMac are good!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 05, 2024 Jul 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One image is against a black background, the other against a gray background. That effects perception. You need to compare with the same background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2024 Jul 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, thank you for your comment.  Unfortunately there was only a marginal improvement. I took the image and increased the canvas to fill pretty well all of the surround of the of the iamge with pure black. Oh well. in the end it's the print that counts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see the difference, the Lightroom image has more saturated colors.

When two (or more) color managed applications don't match, it's usually caused by a defective or incompatible monitor profile, or a bug in the GPU driver.

For troubleshooting, start by disabling the GPU in LrC.

If LrC and PS now display identically, updating the GPU driver to the latest version might fix the issue. Since you're on a Mac, you'll have to wait for an OS update to update the driver. (Windows users can update drivers anytime)

To check for a defective monitor profile, try setting it to sRGB. You do this in the OS, but I'm a Windows user, and can't tell you how to do it on a Mac. Close all color managed applications before doing this.

If this fixes the issue, the monitor profile is the culprit.

I had a look at the manual for the Spyder X Pro, and the calibration software seems to be quite basic, and some important options are missing.

There is no option for saving a version 2 or version 4 ICC profile, and no option for LUT or Matrix profile.

If the software uses version 4 and/or LUT, it could be causing the issue. Version 2 and Matrix is the safe choice.

You could try using DisplayCal instead of the Spyder software. It has several options for profile type, and it only saves version 2 profiles, version 4 is not even an option.

DispalyCal has an overwhelming number of options and settings, and it's probably best to stick with the defaults for most of them.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DisplayCal seems to be very old (2019). I doubt it will run on a modern Mac.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick Internet search confirms this, but there seems to be a workaround.

https://www.reddit.com/r/colorists/comments/18dnp8w/displaycal_and_macos_sonoma_issues/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the link I meant to post:

https://github.com/eoyilmaz/displaycal-py3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this is two years old as well, and without a proper installer I would not recommend this to anyone except geeks.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2024 Jul 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha ha! This is all very helpful, but I'm not a geek. Perhaps I just bought the wrong monitor?  I'm loath to spend out even more on a new monitor even one with (claimed) 100% sRGB proflle! it looks as though I'm going to have to use LR for actual rating and printing. I only use PS for adjusting skin tonwes as I (as I said above) I'm R-G colour blind and have been known to give ppls' skins a lovely shade of green. 

Thank you to EVERYBODY who has taken the time and trouble to try to help - the failure is mine.

PS Before I got my mini mac I used a very elderly iMac (2008) and never had this problem! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2024 Jul 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So did you try disabling the GPU and setting the monitor profile to sRGB?

Buying a new monitor is not going to fix the issue.

According to Dell, the color gamut of your monitor covers 99% of sRGB, so if you have an incompatible monitor profile, sRGB should be a good fit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines