• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Combining Multiple Preset Folders

Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently downloaded 2 preset packs from the same source/artist. I want to combine the two groups so that all of the presets are under just one heading.

I know I could move the presets one-by-one (which, though tedious, should theoretically work), but one of these packs does not give the option to Rename the group or to Move presets within that group.

Fix?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

SOLUTION:

This was a pain in the neck but I figured out a fix! It's not perfect because you'll still have to manually edit each source .xmp file and then manually drag each preset to its desired location - so if anyone finds another solution please let me know! I recommend saving a backup in case you mess something up.

1. Open the source .xmp file in Notepad++
  2. Scroll down until you see something like this:

<crs:Name>
    <rdf:Alt>
     <rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">PM BLUE SHADOWS and the sky is amazi

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"one of these packs does not give the option to Rename the group or to Move presets within that group"

What happens when you try to drag a preset from the group into the other group?

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't do anything. It's not even movable within its current group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't do anything. It's not even movable within its current group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It doesn't do anything. It's not even movable within its current group."

You may have manually placed these presets in the system folders where Adobe places its built-in presets. There is lots of outdated and bad advice out there on how to install LR presets using Mac Finder / Windows File Explorer.  You should only import presets using LR's import commands, letting LR place the presets in the correct folders.

To clean this up, you'll need to remove the presets and then import them correctly. Your screenshot indicates you're on Windows. So:

1. Start Windows File Explorer and look in:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\Settings

Use File Explorer search if necessary within that folder.

2. Once you find the presets, use File Explorer to move them to a folder on your desktop. 

3. Restart LR.

4. Select a photo and go to Develop.

5. Do the menu command File > Import Develop Profiles And Presets. Navigate to the desktop folder and select all the .xmp files you placed there, and then click Import.

The presets will then be placed in the correct folder under C:\Users\<user> and you will be able to reorganize them using drag-and-drop in the Presets panel.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this. The files were already located under the following directory:

C:\Users\whboggs\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\ImportedSettings

I deleted all of the target files out of this location and tried creating a new folder on my desktop then extracting the zipped .xmp files into it. Then, I used the + "Add New Presets" button in Lightroom Classic to import the files from the new folder. Lightroom still sorts the presets under their original Folder names and the files in the problem group are still unable to be moved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Lightroom still sorts the presets under their original Folder names and the files in the problem group are still unable to be moved."

Ack. Can you upload one of the presets to Dropbox or similar and send me a private message with a link to it?  (Click on my username at the top of the post to send me a private message.)  I'd like to rule out the possibility there's something special about the preset (though I don't know what that might be).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sent PM but posting this here too to keep transparency for anyone who may have the same issue in the future:

I got curious and tried opening .xmp files from each pack in Notepad++ to see if maybe it was something code-related. I do see where each is assigned a folder name, but I don't know enough about the code to figure out anything beyond that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the XMP file, the "folder" name is stored in the "crs:Group" block, normally near the bottom of the file. This block is purely for the UI grouping and has no relationship to the file system folder that the file may be in.

When LrC is not running, you can use Notepad++ (or other text editor) to "move" the preset in the UI by changing the name in the group block. There is a user-creaed plug-in available for download that will do a lot of this file vs UI folder syncing. I have not used it, but:

http://www.johnrellis.com/lightroom/fixpresets.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLUTION:

This was a pain in the neck but I figured out a fix! It's not perfect because you'll still have to manually edit each source .xmp file and then manually drag each preset to its desired location - so if anyone finds another solution please let me know! I recommend saving a backup in case you mess something up.

1. Open the source .xmp file in Notepad++
  2. Scroll down until you see something like this:

<crs:Name>
     <rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">PM BLUE SHADOWS and the sky is amazing and then people's skin, man their skin looks lustrous.</rdf:li>
    </rdf:Alt>
   </crs:Name>
   <crs:ShortName>
     <rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">PM BLUE SHADOWS</rdf:li>
   </crs:ShortName>
   <crs:SortName>
     <rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">01</rdf:li>
   </crs:SortName>
   <crs:Group>
     <rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">PM V3</rdf:li>
   </crs:Group>​

3. Under crs:Group, where you see "PM V3" in the snippet above, this text is the name of the group that Lightroom will auto-assign the files to. Delete just that text so that the line looks like this:

<rdf:li xml:lang="x-default"></rdf:li>

4. This will solve your problem

Note that you will still have to manually click and drag your presets into whichever folder you want them to belong to.

Additionally, Notice the line under crs:SortName showing:

<rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">01</rdf:li>

The "01" here tells Lightroom to display this item first in the list. To make the item appear in its appropriate alphabetical location, simply delete the "01" so that the line looks like this:

<rdf:li xml:lang="x-default"></rdf:li>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's wierd is that normally, you can drag and drop presets from one group to another. There was something about that particular group of presets that prevented that--either a "hidden" feature of .xmp preset files, or a LR bug.  It looks like you deleted the Dropbox folder you sent, so I can't take a look.

As ManiacJoe mentioned, rather than do the text editing manually, you can use my free Fix Presets plugin to use Mac Finder / Windows File Explorer to reorganize your preset groups. It's mildly inconvenient to use, but less so than dragging dozens of presets one-by-one or manually editing the .xmp files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2023 Dec 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know it's been 3 years since this post. I had the same problem today and I just found this thread. I tried this and worked like a charm! Just right-click on the preset that you want to merge with another folder and rename it to the exact name of the folder that you are merging into. For example: You want to merge folder X and Y. Rename folder Y to X and two Folders will merge.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines