• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Compressing catalog file in backup runs extremely slowly

Advocate ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another problem this month! When backing up my catalog (about 4GB) LR gets to the 'compressing catalog' point and then seems to stop. It doesn't actually stop because if I leave it running while I go and have a coffee it does finish.

Th solution is the other old faithful - 'uncheck your graphics card under Performance'. Then it runs normally and fairly quickly (I have a very fast computer). The graphics card is a RTX3060 with the latest Studio driver.

Anyone else seen this problem?

Bob Frost

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before anyone asks, I am using latest LRClassic 12.1 and  latest Win10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, but... Is it the latest NVIDIA Studio driver (https://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/198739/en-uk ) configured correctly for graphic applications rather than gaming?

As to your question - not seen the issue your describe on Mac platform and not sure why backup would use athe GPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bob frost 

How much time does it take to backup your catalog?

I have 24GB Catalog (83% of my Catlog size is history and snapshots) so it takes like 30 minutes to do the compression + integrity test.

When I optimize the catlog it takes something like 1 hour or more to backup.

Catalog backup is generally slow but on my MacBook Pro M1 Max is much better than when I was on Windows laptop so hardware matters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@C.Cella 

Why would disabling the GPU result in the backup taking the time @bob frost expected? I suspect this is a question that a member of the Adobe team will need to provide an answer to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ian Lyons

I have not observed any meaningful difference in backups speed  done with or without GPU acceleration.

On Windows, years ago, I had a bug and my GPU was limited to "Display Only"...after resolving that bug and going to "Full GPU acceleration" it was not faster/slower to do the catlog backups.

Time ago on Mac GPU acceleration regressed to "Display Only" (another bug) and it was not slower nor faster to do backups than with Full GPU Acceleration.

You spurred my curiosity so on my Mac I just did a backup test on my smaller "Test Catalog" (752MB)

With GPU acceleration backup (no integrity check or optimization done) is: 15 seconds

With NO GPU acceleration backup (no integrity check or optimization done) is: 13 seconds

Minimal differences that likely are not up to GPU acceleration.

I think catlog compression is simply not fast in LrC.

P.S. 

My current settings are like this now.

Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 15.15.01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ian et al, Timed my backup of my 4GB catalog with integrity check and optimization checked. The result was 15 secs for integrity chec, 60secs for copying catalog, 30 secs for optimization, and 30 secs for compression. All with the graphics card OFF.

Then I thought I better time it with the graphics card on Auto, and  it worked perfectly with the same times as with it OFF. Repeated this several times and each time it worked perfectly!

So yesterdays problem must have been just a 'gremlin in the works' - a hit from a cosmic ray? Very strange!!!!!

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bob frost 

Are you working on a laptop or a desktop?

If using a laptop were you,  by any chance working on battery yesterday ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big desktop

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why would the GPU have anything to do with a Catalog backup? I can't think of any logical reason.

What am I missing?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines