• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

D800 Issues

Explorer ,
May 27, 2012 May 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to PSCS6 and now own a Nikon D800.  I use LR3.6 for my workflow and I have ACR6.7 installed.  According the adobe (see here: http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html).  Photoshop CS6 will open the D800 raw files, but only after installing a beta version of AVR7.1 (never a good idea to use a beta of anything in a working environment). LR3.6 still wo'nt, and has never opend the D800 files.  Can anyone suggest what I can do?  Has Adobe mistakenly printed incorrect information?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , May 27, 2012 May 27, 2012

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/03/raw-support-in-lightroom-and-camera-raw.html

The D800 is only supported in Lightroom 4 and beyound.

ACR 6.7 is designed to give Lightroom 4 bridge suppport (not Bridge) to PS CS5.x users.

The information is correct in the KB document.

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/03/raw-support-in-lightroom-and-camera-raw.html

The D800 is only supported in Lightroom 4 and beyound.

ACR 6.7 is designed to give Lightroom 4 bridge suppport (not Bridge) to PS CS5.x users.

The information is correct in the KB document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think then that the best option for me is to change brands and find a company who more readily supports their customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System requirements and supported hardware is quite available prior to purchasing new cameras. Most people don't bother to read up on their existing software prior to purchasing new hardware. They should. Lightroom 3.x will likely never open your file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you are in a catch situation. You have already upgraded to PS CS6 so you have the support for your camera with ACR 7.1 Release Candidate, which should be in its final release shortly.

However you also have LR 3.6 which will never have support for your camera nor the new process engine v 2012 and other additional features available in ACR 7.x. The only way to maintain full compatebility with PS would be to upgrade to LR 4.

Since you already had an earlier version of PS CS ( I expect CS 5 or 4) you should have been aware of the way Photoshop interacted with Lightroom. If not then somehow Adobe has not been able get the message across as to how these two programs relate. 

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; ( also laptop Win 11, ver 23H2; LrC 13.4,;) 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

edk01 wrote:

I think then that the best option for me is to change brands and find a company who more readily supports their customers.

Right, because a $79 upgrade (which includes many new capabilities) is outrageous to ask of a customer that just spent $3,000 on a camera.  So you could use the FREE DNG converter and continue using LR 3.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, after spending $AU3,500 on a new camera, I'm tapped out.  If adobe really wants to ensure that customers maintain compatability between apps, they should either bundle them, or notify them that their software is no good with new equipment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

edk01 wrote:

Yep, after spending $AU3,500 on a new camera, I'm tapped out.  If adobe really wants to ensure that customers maintain compatability between apps, they should either bundle them, or notify them that their software is no good with new equipment.

They publish in a variety of places exactly which cameras are supported in which versions.  For some reason, people don't tend to look that up before they buy new equipment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said, I expect to be notified that my software will no longer be supported. Its not something I should have to lookup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

edk01 wrote:

As I said, I expect to be notified that my software will no longer be supported.

I think your expectations are unreasonable...

Adobe offers the free DNG Converter to allow backwards compatibility all the way back to LR 1 and Photoshop CS (with the proper settings).

If you buy a new camera, why would you expect old software to support it? Adobe offers free updates for all current shipping software. As soon as a new version is released (LR4.x) then older versions are no longer supported (LR3.x). You can keep using LR3 with your new camera as long as you convert them to DNG. But since the LR4 upgrade cost has been lowered, again, I can't see why you wouldn't upgrade to LR4 and maintain LR/PS compatibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

edk01 wrote:

As I said, I expect to be notified that my software will no longer be supported. Its not something I should have to lookup.

You've learned a useful lesson, then.

Oh - and this situation happens with every converter, not just Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lesson learned? Yep! Next time I won't bother with these forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2012 May 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok...bye now...hope you do better completely on your own!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, one of the D800's claim to fame is it's large base-ISO dynamic range.  LR 4 and PV2012 is MUCH better at extracting and controlling all that dynamic range than LR 3 and PV 2010.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgrade yes but using the DNG converter will not make LR 3.6 PV 2010 compatable with ACR 7.x PV 2012 with additional new features. The "tower of Babel" comes into play here. I expect use of LR 3.6 would be effectively restricted to the Library Module.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; ( also laptop Win 11, ver 23H2; LrC 13.4,;) 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DdeGannes wrote:

Upgrade yes but using the DNG converter will not make LR 3.6 PV 2010 compatable with ACR 7.x PV 2012 with additional new features. The "tower of Babel" comes into play here. I expect use of LR 3.6 would be effectively restricted to the Library Module.

PV 2010 would work just fine in Develop with the D800 DNGs.  I don't know what you're talking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For sure I agree why would you use PV 2010 (as far as I am concerned that is outdated/inferior technology) he would have the new technology available to him in PS CS6. I presently no longer use the PV 2010 since I am happy with the new version and consider the older versions history.

One thought, how would the "Camera Raw Cache" react to the use of PS V 2012 in ACR and PS V 2010 in LR.???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines