• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Displaying photos with xmp data applied, but there is no edit history shown

Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the following happen quite a few times.  I am using Lightroom Classic.

I reorganized and renamed files in Bridge that had been previously edited in Lightroom, and then synced those folders in Lightroom.  When I look at the images in Lightroom, I can see that the edit info from the xmp sidecar is being applied, yet nothing is shown under history.  So, if I want to work with the image beyond changing the crop, I typically need to do a complete reset, because I can't see what I've already done.

Is there any solution to this other than either 1) make sure I am perfectly happy with file names and organization before I import in Lightroom, which is something I usually try to do, but how I name and organize things has evolved over the years; or 2) set up a batch rename template in Lightroom?

I find Bridge easier to work with for sorting, etc., so if there's a way to fix this issue, that would be great.  If not, I will continue to use bridge for my new work, but figure out how to batch rename in Lightroom for old images.

Thank you for any suggestions you may have. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you've discovered, XMP metadata doesn't contain the Develop history steps. More generally, using Bridge and LR simultaneously is an unnatural act -- it can be done, but it won't always be smooth or efficient.

You can reorganize folders and do batch renaming entirely within LR, using the Folders panel and the menu command Library > Rename Photos. See this help article for how to use LR's file renaming templates:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/filename-template-editor-text-template.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the information. Yes, I have learned the lesson the hard way!  If I decide to reorganize/rename any other already imported images, I will learn to do it through Lightroom.  Thanks for the link!

I'm already irritated with the latest version of Bridge anyway . . . if you rename photos in the same folder, it doesn't rename their xmp files; and if you have the same image in jpg and raw, it renames them with 2 different file numbers.  Ugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines