• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dng bug?

Contributor ,
Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just changed camera from a Canon to the Sony a73. When I was using Canon I always changed its raw files to dng files, which were smaller than Canon raw files. With the Sony, however,

• dng files are only minimally smaller than Sony's when using uncompressed raw, both clocking in around 46-47 MB
  • Sony's compressed raw files weigh in at 23 MB or so. When converted to dng, they mushroom to 46-47 MB!

Is this a bug in the dng conversion process?

LR Classic 7.4, Windows 10 64 bit, 12GB ram.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Nope, the DNG Converter is decompressing the compressed Raw before converting it to DNG and not recompressing. That's the way it's supposed to work. If you want compression opt for Lossy DNG (t's not as lossy as jpg compression).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nope, the DNG Converter is decompressing the compressed Raw before converting it to DNG and not recompressing. That's the way it's supposed to work. If you want compression opt for Lossy DNG (t's not as lossy as jpg compression).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines