• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does Lightroom Classic 10.1.1 update fix older MAC's from freezing

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10.1 caused a number of older MAC's to freeze if the GPU is turned on causing a number of us to uninstall and go back to 10.0.

Has anyone tried this new update to see if the problem has been fixed?

I'm using a Mid-2015 Mackbook Pro with Intel I7, 16 gig memory and a 512 SSD. Running MacOS Majovie.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Adobe doesn't list that as a fixed issue:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/whats-new-in-lightroom-classic-10-1-1/ 

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/fixed-issues.html 

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/january-2021-updates/5ffdab9efa2b7165ca6c7614 

Given the severity of the issues with 10.1, we could expect them to list those as "fixed" if they were indeed fixed. (Adobe sometimes forgets to list fixed bugs, but they're generally not that incompetent to o

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe doesn't list that as a fixed issue:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/whats-new-in-lightroom-classic-10-1-1/ 

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/fixed-issues.html 

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/january-2021-updates/5ffdab9efa2b7165... 

Given the severity of the issues with 10.1, we could expect them to list those as "fixed" if they were indeed fixed. (Adobe sometimes forgets to list fixed bugs, but they're generally not that incompetent to omit a major bug fix.)\

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iMac Retina 27" - not fixed I had to go back to 10.0 

Impos=rted catalog fine, then when I tried Devlop mode, it will hang.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not fixed on my iMac 27" 5K 2015 with Radeon R9 M380 2 GB. So I've reinstalled v10.0.

Adobe, please fix this HUGE bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 10.2 update has solved this bug on my iMac 5K 2015 and the whole application is now much faster than the v10.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10.1.1 fixes nothing. It is unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reverted to 10.0 this morining and so far all is OK, although so far this is not an exhaustive trial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still freezes regularly on my Mac.

Lightroom Classic freezes 100% of the time I try to crop/resize a photo. Can't even Force Quit Lightroom. Have to hard reboot the machine. Several other random tasks in Lightroom also seem to freeze the laptop, but the crop/resize is guaranteed to do it 100% of the time. Can't believe Adobe released this update without testing it more thoroughly.

I'm on Lightroom Classic 10.1.1, MacBook Pro Mid 2015, Intel i7, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2GB, 16GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Mac OS Mojave 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iMac Retina 27-inch 2017, 64 GB of RAM and macOS Big Sur 11.2.2: I had a few slow-downs with LR Classic 10.1 (spinging beachball for just a few seconds). Updated to 10.1.1 and experienced my first freeze this morning. I let it spin for 15 minutes then launched Activity Monitor. LR was using 295% CPU.

I force quit LR and restarted. Activity Monitor now shows LR at between 20% to 50% CPU. I will try running it with the graphics processor off. This is the first freeze I have experienced with LR in a long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac Pro with Mojave and highest Radeon card and still broken.  This is pretty unconscienable to be going on for so long..  😞

Jay S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I turned off the graphics processor in Lightroom Preferences and then tried the following: imported a Nikon D810 RAW file, applied a number of adjustments including gradients, light crop, sharpen, spot removal. I switched back and forth between the Library and Develop, as well as full-screen (F). LR was stable, but still displays some sluggishness in rendering the image when switching to full -creen mode from the Develop Module. It is fine in the Library.

I also observed something that maybe someone else has experienced. Since updating to 10.1.1, the full-screen (F) toggle has not worked correctly. Pressing F does switch to full-screen, but the magnification changes, and Command + and Command - behave unpredicatably. Switching back by pressing F results in another magnification change.

Anyone else seen this? Turning off the graphics processor solves this problem completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think I'll just stay with 10.0 until this gets sorted out..  With this much attention I'm hoping Adobe gets it sorted out..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I absolutely agree JayS_CT.  Adobe should have fixed the issue so many of us have had with the updates since and including 10.1. It is like Adobe is ignoring a select group of customers. Why? An explanation of why the fix is taking so long is overdue, as well as a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, 10.1.1 doesn't have the fix, but our next release (very soon) should.  Thanks for your patience.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric..
Does 10.2 fix this issue?  The description talks to Performance Improvements in MacOS but does not specifically talk to the freezing issue.  Is the description a polite way of saying the problem is fixed without pointing out there was an issue to begin with?

Jay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you install it and try it on your computer? That's really the only way any one can know (those of us across the internet cannot know) if it fixed the freezing on your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DJ..

Because frankly, having to hard boot my Mac Pro isn't the most desireable thing to do. I'd have no issue if the fix was identified as being in the release. It's also generally available..

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/whats-new.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it did on my iMac 5K 2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to hear that 10.2 fixed this freezing problem for you. I was on a tech support chat with Adobe and the engineer blew my mind when he claimed this WASN'T a bug and that my 2015 MBP (i7 with AMD Radeon graphics card) was just underpowered. I'm technical and have written code. Wasn't worth debating with the tech support guy whether this was or wasn't a bug. I was told to downgrade back to Lightroom Classic v9.4. That got rid of the freezing problem, but I lost the post-production work already done to my v10 libraries.

Told the tech support guy that I already bought Capture One Pro (true story) and am so frustrated that I'm ready to drop Lightroom. He wasn't phased at all. Didn't seem to care. Hopefully 10.2 salvages Lightroom for me so I don't have to switch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to hear that 10.2 fixed this freezing problem for you. I was on a tech support chat with Adobe and the engineer blew my mind when he claimed this WASN'T a bug and that my 2015 MBP (i7 with AMD Radeon graphics card) was just underpowered. I'm technical and have written code. Wasn't worth debating with the tech support guy whether this was or wasn't a bug. I was told to downgrade back to Lightroom Classic v9.4. That got rid of the freezing problem, but I lost the post-production work already done to my v10 libraries.

Told the tech support guy that I already bought Capture One Pro (true story) and am so frustrated that I'm ready to drop Lightroom. He wasn't phased at all. Didn't seem to care. Hopefully 10.2 salvages Lightroom for me so I don't have to switch.

By @swong02

Incredible to hear that was the response given all the different OSX platforms it failed but since it didn't show up as a "fix" on the 10.2 list but was an "enhancement" I guess the reply falls in line with how the update was positioned. The Tech was also incorrect in telling you to revert to 9.4. as 10.0 worked fine and you wouldn't have lost any V10 production work.  This is not the same LR team as back in the earlier days and (just an opinion) LR began to lose its polish when the focus changed to integrating it all across the cloud. LR was/is too advanced to be considered a casual mobile application editing tool. It was designed as a tightly integrated set of tools that took your production work from import and library through print, and all steps in between..  It still is an incredilbly powerful tool, but I don''t think the split development focus is the best route.  Again, just my humble opinion which with a couple of bucks buys a cup of coffee..  😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Lr Classic 10.2 should fix this issue.  To the best of my knowledge, the bug affected a specific range of AMD GPUs (which many of our customers have).  If you were experiencing the system freezes / crashes / forced reboots in Lr Classic 10.1.x please update to 10.2.  (Plus, 10.2 is a lot faster in Library in general, due to several performance optimizations done by the team.  So, I recommend 10.2 for multiple reasons.)

If you update to 10.2 and are still encountering system freezes, please report back and we'll work through diagnostics.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Eric,

Appreciate the reply and so far 10.2 is working, although I cannot say I see any major speed/performance improvement, but I am dealing with a catalog of over 175,000 images. What I am seeing is a slower synch of the standard size preview. I have not (for somewhat obvious reasons) done a full recreation of the previews that were there already.

That said, this wasn't a new bug and there were point release that came out without addressing it and forcing reboots while there are likely other apps running or open is far from desireable.. Add to that the 10.2 description which seemed to not include a single word that indicated that there was an AMD bug isn't the right way to handle things.  See the comment by SWONG02 about the replies they received from Tech Support including the incorrect suggestion to go back level to a 9.x release when 10.0 would have worked.

I've been with LR since before there was a LR V1 Eric, was a long time Beta tester, knew a lot of the crew, etc..  The decision to split LR's development impacted what was an outstading product path as well as opening the door for OnOne and others to have the time to build more and more competitive products..  FWIW, I'd suggest Adobe truly consider who the real target audience is for LR and focus energies there.

Again appreciate you replying..
Jay S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines