• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

double tiff files

Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For about 4 weeks I have had the following phenomenon in Lightroom Classic 12.5 when outputting files to Photoshop. When I press the right context key and select the "Edit in Photoshop" command, then use Lightroom to write an additional Tiff file from the raw file before the file is output to Photoshop. I'm working on a Windows client with OS 10.x. The result is that doubles are created. One raw file and a second tiff from the raw.

where could be the mistake ?

thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For about 4 weeks I have had the following phenomenon in Lightroom Classic 12.5 when outputting files to Photoshop. When I press the right context key and select the "Edit in Photoshop" command, then use Lightroom to write an additional Tiff file from the raw file before the file is output to Photoshop. I'm working on a Windows client with OS 10.x. The result is that doubles are created. One raw file and a second tiff from the raw.

where could be the mistake ?

thanks

I don't understand what you are doing in the step that I've highlighted from your original post. The "normal" process is to simply select the "Edit in Photoshop" item from the right-click menu, that will open a rendered version of the raw file into Photoshop. Once you have edited the image in PS, use the File>Save option and the Tiff (or PSD, depending on your Preferences) version of the raw file will be saved back into Lightroom Classic. So you end up with the just original and the derivative Tiff in the LrC catalog.

Can you explain what other steps (if any) you are doing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

many thanks for your answer. 

What you describe is exactly the workflow I know. For me, Lightroom currently behaves in such a way that when it is transferred to Photoshop, a Tiff file of the raw file is written, which is unedited. It is a 1:1 copy of the RAW file.

regards
Olivier

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your post is truncated here, but the email of the post states that you see a Tiff file being written when using the Edit in Photoshop process......but where is that Tiff appearing? In PS, or in Lightroom Classic?

Can you tell me the exact version numbers of Lightroom Classic (do Help>System Info) and the Camera Raw plug-in in Photoshop (click on Photoshop on the Apple Menu Bar>About Plug-ins>Camera Raw).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello Jim, as written in my first thread, it is LR 12.5 classic on a winclient.

The Tiff-file is written in LR classic before it appears in Photoshop.

LR 12.5 classic opens the dialog box to transfer to Photoshop and write in the same time

a tiff file of the raw file into Lightroom library.

regards

olivier

I use Camera Raw 15.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This doesn't sound like a standard "Edit In".

Either it's not a raw file, or your LrC - ACR versions are out of sync so that LrC is forced to render a finished TIFF and send that to Photoshop.

Please show a screenshot of the dialog you're referring to (normally there shouldn't be a dialog here).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two ways that Lightroom Classic and Photoshop can work together.

The first is where both are on compatible versions. In this case "Edit in Photoshop" does not immediately result in any new file on disk. The rendering of your edits is subcontracted to ACR which passes an as yet unsaved file to Photoshop, just in memory. Only when PS in due course Saves, is a file created on disk and a new image version imported to the Catalog. Otherwise if PS cancels out without saving, nothing new will have been created on disk or imported to LrC.

Distinctively, in this workflow the unsaved PS document will be initially titled as the original source file - (e.g. NEF). Once you have saved, e.g. to TIF, that is what it thereafter shows.

The other case is where: the external editor is NOT Photoshop; or it is PS but of a version that is older (so far as ACR primarily) than the LrC version you are using; or you have set up an additional named External Edit option within LrC, which will also invoke this other workflow.

In this event LrC itself applies edits to the Raw and immediately saves a TIF (or PSD, however you have set things) to disk. Also imports that immediately. Then it tells the external editor to open this same new file directly for potential further editing. So ACR is not involved at all. Any saving of changes by the external editor, is then just an update to something that is already present on disk and already imported in the Catalog. 

Accordingly, the document window titling seen in the external editor will not need to borrow any naming from the source Raw or whatever, it can right from the start report itself as the newly made file.

I hope this characteristic difference will help clarify what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines