Exit

Dual monitors and survey mode selecting everything

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Lightroom Classic 11.2 
  • Windows 11

In grid view if I select multiple items and right click  Delete becomes delete photos (plural) flag applies to all selected photos etc. This is expected 

In Survey view showing multiple items  Delete on the right click menu becomes delete photo (singular), flag applies to that one photo etc. This is also expected. 

I have just spent a very frustrating few minutes trying to work out why Survey view wanted to delete all the photos in the survey when I had used it previously to delete single ones. 

The answer is I was using it on an second monitor for the first time. If the monitor 1 is looking at grid view then the actions on monitor 2 become the "apply to all" versions, not the "Apply Most selected version". I suspect some code somewhere is checking if grid view is open, not if the user is clicking in grid view. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's one of the "as-designed" confusing, complicated behaviors of LR's handling of selections:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/consistent-behavior-when-multiple-photos-sele...

When mulitple photos are selected, whether a command applies to the most-selected photo or all the selected photos is determined by the view of the primary display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@johnrellis  Thanks for the reply, you have obviously gone into more case than just his one, and it's good to know I'm not alone but part of " a steady stream of users posting their confusion. " 🙂
IMHO Some of these things definitely need to be treated as UI bugs. 

If I have multiple images selected there needs to be a way to take some action on all of them. If I'm in Develop I don't expect a spot heal to apply to multiple pictures (so why should exposure changes), because I'm looking at in the active pane, by going to the film-strip to delete many makes senses because that pane has multiple selected.

The problem with survey is you have a pane in one place which show these in the survey, so I can narrow the survey down to duds, to delete or keepers to export and do that from the film strip.
But if I'm using two screens the inactive pane on screen 1 changes the behaviour of the active pane on screen 2. 
That's a bug: someone wrote a spec which said "When working in the grid view the behaviour changes to X" 
the spec never said "When the grid view is open and working in another view, the behaviour still changes to X"  It should be which pane is being clicked that changes things not which other things are open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines