• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit in Adobe Photoshop 2022 option not working - with could not be launched error

Contributor ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has suddenly started happening to me for no reason I can think of. I am unable to open an image in Photoshop by using the 'Edit in>Edit in Adobe Photoshop 2022>Edit a copy with Lightroom adjustments' command. Photoshop does open, but the image itself never loads into PS. 

If I do nothing further with either PS or LR, then about 2 mins later an error message pops up in LR saying 'The file could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop 2022 could not be launched.'

So having said the image never loads earlier, if I now click OK on the LR warning message and wait for another while, which can be up to 2 mins the image does eventually open in PS.

This only fails when choosing to edit a copy with LR adjustments... if I choose either 'Edit a copy' or 'Edit original' it opens in PS as normal. 

I have uninstalled both LR and PS and reinstalled them using the 'keep settings' option but to no avail.

Any help appreciated as this is really really annoying.

Win 10 Pro v21H2
RAM 64GB
PS 23.2.2
LR 11.2
Camera Raw 14.2
GPU NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3070
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

thanks for that... as I was unable to solve this issue, I decided to try a system restore and that has sorted the problem for the time being. I will pay particular attention for the next while to watch out for it happening again and see if I can home in on what caused it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this answer from Rikk Flohr (Adobe Employee)

Past instances of this type of behavior have been fixed by:

1. Resetting the Photoshop Application's Preference File or

2. Reinstallation of Photoshop
Having kept settings (Preferences), your problem may not have been fixed.Try resetting Photoshop preferences first.  PHOTOSHOP PREFERENCES RESET 

As a last resort- use the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to 'un-install' Ps & LrC then re-install. CLEANER TOOL LINK 

And as you reinstall both LrC and Ps,  install Photoshop first.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks I have tried resetting the PS Preference and that has not worked.

I have used Creative Cloud to uninstall both LR and PS and when I reinstalled I did install PS first, I have not tried the Cleaner Tool yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the 'link' between Lightroom Classic and Photoshop has issues, one of the first things to try is this:
1. Use the CC application to uninstall both Photoshop and Lightroom Classic and when asked, keep preferences. 
2. Install Photoshop first, then Lightroom Classic. 
Better? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, but as stated in my intial question I have already done this and it has not helped

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, but keep in mind, the order of reinstall is key.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks again, yes I did use Creative Cloud to do the uninstall and reinstall and I did pay attention to the order of reinstall and it has not helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"reinstalled them using the 'keep settings' option"

In your initial question- This would indicate you did NOT reset Preferences.

Have you tried the reset of Photoshop Preferences?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried a reset of PS Prefs and that has not worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought, after following the procedure proposed by Rob and thedigitaldog, first boot the PS application to ensure the installation is “verified” and then exit PS.

Next boot LrC, and then attempt to use the “edit in option PS option”.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, yes I have already done that, I have followed various suggestions I have found across the web and nothing works but to clarify I used CC to uninstall and reinstiall PS and LR. I paid attention to the order and installed PS first. I also did as you described and started PS first and left it for a while to make sure it was registering everything. I then closed it and started LR and tried to 'Edit if PS' and it did not work. I still have the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It must be so annoying for you!  Unless the same has been experienced by others watching the forum, it is hard to find an answer.

I looked back through some notes to find the attached PDF file that suggests-

Re-create the Photoshop.exe application path registry key

You are a Windows user, so this could still be a possible answer.

Warning, you need to be 'comfortable' to edit the Windows Registry and know where 2022 Photoshop.exe exists. If unsure, leave it alone.

Why your problem is only occuring with Raster bitmap files (JPG, TIF, PSD) is unusual. Do you have any problems opening these same files with other editors from File Explorer? And where are these problem files located in your hard-drive system?

So mostly 'stabbing in the dark' for an answer 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks for that... as I was unable to solve this issue, I decided to try a system restore and that has sorted the problem for the time being. I will pay particular attention for the next while to watch out for it happening again and see if I can home in on what caused it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines