• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edits not showing in filmstrip or grid view

Participant ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working with v7.0.1, any edits made to a photo are not shown in the filmstrip or library grid view.  It seems that if I double-click an image multiple times, the filmstrip/grid view thumbnail will eventually switch to the edited version.

OSX 10.12.6

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on version 7.3.1 and I get the same issue, If I choose, lets say 10 images in the filmstrip and "syncronise settings"  across them all, the previews do not change, if I go into each image the edits are their and the preview then updates as soon as I have viewed it in full screen. On top of that the previews sometimerevert back to the previous edit when I select other images in grid view and filmstrip. it is so strange, Any help would be appreciated it is driving me mad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't work with the latest version of Lightroom. It's actual version 7.4

Please install the latest version and try again.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated and it is still happening. I read somewhere that Lightroom classic struggles with larger libraries, I have deleted some older shoots but I am still having the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your operating system? What is the exact version of Lightroom being used? How much RAM? What do you consider to be a "large" library?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JimHess, thanks for helping our with this, here's my aswerto your questions...

I am now working with version 7.4, I have 32GB Ram, 3.4ght i7, Running MacOS High Sierra and I have just stripped down my library and it is now at 18K photos which I don't really think is massive but I will let you be the judge of that.

The problem is still happening, any more ideas from anyone,

This is what I have tried so far

- Updated lightroom to v7.4

- Set my camera raw cache to 10GB, and purged the it

- deleted 6000 images from the library

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so it looks like I have fixed the problem, I uninstalled Lightroom and then installed it again and all seems to be working well now, there must have been a glitch staying in there even after updating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: Since uninstalling lightroom and reinstalling the problem has come back again, I tried uninstalling and installing again but it didn't fix it this time. could this be some kind of caching issue? i often run low on space on my hard drive. As wedding photographer we have a lot of images come through the drive so we are constantly uploading and then deleting shoots with around 100GB per shoot a 1 TB drive fills up quickly.

Is there a way to seperateout the caching location so it is on a seperate drive potentially? or do people not think this is the problem?? what are your thoughts @JinHess? maxphotography  did you solve your problem another way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you’ve synced the edits, keep the images selected and choose ‘Library - Previews - Build Standard-sized Previews’. That will force Lightroom to re-render the previews.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never had to do this in the past and as a work around for 10 images that might be fine but I am editing 800 photos at a time to set lightroomto build previews again is going to take ages. I have been using lightroom for years and never had this issue, there is an identical computer next to mine running the same software and it doesn't have this problem

I have just been looking into it again and my Previews.lrdatafile is 61GB and the smart preview one is about 30BG, do you think these are too big? Could they be causing the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bennyboymay  wrote

I have never had to do this in the past and as a work around for 10 images that might be fine but I am editing 800 photos at a time to set lightroomto build previews again is going to take ages. I have been using lightroom for years and never had this issue, there is an identical computer next to mine running the same software and it doesn't have this problem

I have just been looking into it again and my Previews.lrdatafile is 61GB and the smart preview one is about 30BG, do you think these are too big? Could they be causing the problem?

I'm a bit surprised about your statement. Lightroom always had this problem that 'out of sight' previews aren't updated, even when the application is sitting idle for hours. The previews are only updated when you scroll them into view, so this is not a problem with ten images but it is with a lot of images (that don't all fit in a single grid view). This is a known problem, and I don't think it has ever been any different.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I get that the thumnailsif not in veiw do not get updated untill you scroll through them. but this problem is slightly different. Let me explain again.

in the film strip (with lets say 10 thumbnails in view) lets say I have a group of 5 photos that I want to sync the setting with, I can do that and all the edits render, then as soon as I unselctthat group and move on to the images or group of images to edit one of the previously synced thumbnail reverts back to the pre-editted look. If i then click on the faulty thumbnail, it renders fine, but then another thumbnail in the film strip will revert back to a previous edit, it is almost like a toggle switch. This is why I was think that it could be some kind of cache issue where it is full and just purges the previews from before to make sure that the image you are on works.

Does that make sense? Appreciate your help on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that does not make sense at all. The previews are stored in ‘catalogname previews.lrdata’. There is no size limit to this cache. It can be as large as the space on your hard disk allows.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, so it is not to do with the cache then.

Let me explain again using better grammer:-)

1. I edit a single photo, then select the next 5 and sync the settings, all the previews/thumbnails render fine.
  2. Then I click on another image in the film strip (often, unrelated to the 5 I have just synced)
  3. As I do step 2, a random image from the 5 I have just synced, will then revert back to the settings I had before, but only in the filmstrip, if I then click on the effected image the main preview will be fine.

Have I made myself clearer now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were already clear, but it doesn’t make sense that the image reverts back. I’ve never seen this, so I can’t offer an explanation.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, thanks anyway Johan, you helped me take the cache issue out of the mix though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Bennyboymay i am having the exact same issue as you you were 4 years ago lol. I was wondering if you ever found a fix for it. thumbnail edits randomly rendering back to raw version in film strip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jordan24707624a5d6, LR 11.3 and 11.3.1 have a bug with thumbnails and Library previews not updating to reflect changes made in Develop.  The only reliable workaround is to roll back to LR 11.2.  Adobe has marked the bug as "started", so it will very possibly be fixed in 11.4.   LR releases about every 8 weeks, so we might expect to see LR 11.4 in the next week or so.

The bug report:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-library-previews-not-updating/idi-p/12897363

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

awesome thank you for the quick respone i will try that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

so far it has appeared to work. thanks again 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines