Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embedded Camera Color Profile not shown or available

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a Leica Q, and when I import my raw images into Lightroom (using the available version), and when in the Develop module, I don't see the embedded Color Profile as an option.  One of my peers, while doing the same with his Leica Q and with the same version of Lightroom does have the embedded color available for his images.

How do I get the embedded color profile to show up?  I thought that it was supposed to be attached with the actual raw image but the only profiles available are the most ones from Adobe.  And we did check and the camera has the latest firmware as well.

Really appreciate the support with this issue.

Thanks so much,

Julio

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Embedded usually means it's a JPEG/TIFF/PSD file. Raw files get a choice of Color Profiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Embedded usually means it's a JPEG/TIFF/PSD file. Raw files get a choice of Color Profiles.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sean

Thanks so much for the fast response.  I don't see a choice for the color profile other than the ones from Adobe with the raw files.  From the Lightroom on my peers computer, he has the embedded profile available to him on the raw.  I was told that the raw file should have the embedded camera color profile available.

Thoughts?

Thanks 

Julio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may be all you have available. Assuming you're on 7.5, if you've Camera Matching Profiles, they'd be in the Profile Browser.

camera-matching.jpg

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sean,

I guess what I am trying to solve for is the fact that my peer has the same version of Lightroom and the same camera. The color profile that is available for him is for the Leica and makes a substantial difference on the image.  And on my notebook, it is not available.  I'm trying to figure out how to install those color profile. Does that make sense?

Thanks

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did he get a third party profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Nikon and Canon cameras, the camera matching profiles are more substantial. With other camera manufacturers the number of profiles is much more limited, and with some the only profile made available is Adobe Standard or Adobe Color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dunno JimHess, I've 14 on Fuji

Olympus have plenty too, as do Sony!

DJI only have Color and Monochrome. I might go make some myself. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim

Thanks for the response.  My peers notebook has an embedded color profile that greatly improves the image from the Leica Q.  I'm trying to do the same and get that embedded color profile to become available. But I only see the Adobe profiles, not the embedded one as is the case with my peers Lightroom - same version 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding is that the Embedded profile only appears on JPEG, TIF and PSD images. And it appears on those types of images automatically. That's because the profile is embedded in those image types and cannot be changed. Your friend may have gotten a profile from a third party that is labeled as such that it is for raw images, but that would be the only way I know of that you would be part of a series of profiles that could be selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we see a screen capture of your profile browser and with the info label showing filename and extenstion? Press I to have it show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Sure thing, I'll post it as soon as I get back to my notebook later this afternoon.  Thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've downloaded a Leica Q sample file to check and can see no additional profiles other than the Lightroom ones. It does have a Built-In Lens Profile applied, but that's a different type of profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just thinking out of the box, I notice that this camera can capture raw files in the DNG format. I have no experience but is it possible that the DNG file also contains an embedded profile?

OK so thats the answer a DNG file from the Leica will have an embedded profile in the file. I downloaded one from the web and checked see the screen capture. The embedded profile was applied at import and the Adobe profiles are available if needed to change.

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 7.44.47 PM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2018 Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another person with a Leica M (Type 262) is experiencing similar problems -- see this bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom/Camera Raw: Leica M 262 DNG Embedded Camera Profile Issue | Photoshop Family Customer Comm... . Please add details of your problem to that bug report and copy/paste the first ten lines from the menu command Help > System Info. Be sure to click Me Too and Follow in the upper-right corner. This will make it a little more likely Adobe will address the issue soon.

Please continue any further discussion in the bug report rather than here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Julio, I don't know if you found an answer for your question about the Leica "embedded" profiles but I recently came across the same problem with my Leica M-E.  I'm currently running version 8.3 of Lightroom Classic and found the solution.

If you follow Sean's example above and click on the "Grid" icon next to the Profile Choice you get a new window that opens showing you all the existing Profiles.  In the upper left corner of that window is a + symbol and when you click that you have two choices:

1.  Import Profiles... or

2.  Manage Profiles

Click on the second choice: Manage Profiles and a new popup window opens.  The second item listed should be "Legacy" and its not checked by default.  All the others are probably already checked.  Well check that one.  Checking that will display the Leica embedded profiles for both color and B&W.

Now back in the Profile Browser I've clicked the Favorites Star next to each of those embedded profiles to ensure they always show up in the top Favorites list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for this!  I don't know why Adove would deselect the 'legacy' or embedded colours option.....drives me nuts!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This should be the correct answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines