• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error Message ?:0: attempt to index field 'rootFile' (a nil value)

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR Classic and Sierra 10.12.6, both with the latest updates.

I have marked several photos with a Black Flag and when I try to delete them, I get this message and cannot get any further. Anybody help out there? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Your problem may be similar to this thread, which suggests a Mac permissions issue: Help please problem with export

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your problem may be similar to this thread, which suggests a Mac permissions issue: Help please problem with export

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnk you so much. Repaired the permissions on both drives and that worked a treat. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Permissions are OK.  Still getting msg of An internal error has occurred.  ?" attempt to index field 'rootFile' (a nil value)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting that same message now, all of a sudden, after using LR for years.

On CC, this version is called "Lightroom Classic" but it doesn't seen nearly as nice and smooth as before.

I know nothing about "fixing permissions," which seems to be a solution to this problem.

Anybody home at Adobe???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also happens on windows since the last couple updates. VERY annoying. Maybe it is the programs reaction to being renamed "classic".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it seems to be a newish problem but I get it when I try to delete a lot of Rejected images. Deleting them individually works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original problem that has been marked answered may have been answered, but that fix is NOT working for the current problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is still happening. It seems to occur when I delete a large group go images but not when I do just a few.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it seems like anything over 1 image deletion. I can not attribute it to any plugin. It is VERY irritating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The comment posted as a solution does not work. I am having the same issue as others - I am unable to delete all of the images I've flagged for deletion. I keep getting " ?:0: attempt to index field 'rootFile' (a nil value) " error message. Come on, Adobe, this should be an easy fix on your part. I've got gigs of garbage photos I need to delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue as others - I am unable to delete all of the images I've flagged for deletion. I keep getting " ?:0: attempt to index field 'rootFile' (a nil value) " error message. Come on, Adobe, this should be an easy fix on your part. I've got gigs of garbage photos I need to delete.

Please add details about your issue to the bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom Classic: "An internal error has occurred: ?:0: attempt to index a nil value" | Photoshop F... . Be sure to copy/paste the first ten lines from the menu command Help > System Info, and click Me Too and Follow in the upper-right corner. That will make it more likely Adobe will prioritize a fix, and you'll be notified when the bug's status changes.

A number of people have worked around the problem by disabling plugins in File > Plug-in Manager. Logitech's LogiOptions plugin and Smugmug are two plugins that have been reported to trigger this problem. (The limited evidence suggests that it's not the plugin's fault per se but rather a bug in LR itself triggered by the plugins.)  See the bug report for details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot imprt files that I know are in my files. This happened all of a sudden, I go to downloads , see the file then import it. I get blank gray  previews. when I click on find in explorer I get that cannot index root file. I am not a computer expert and that means nothing. The the H is going on. I have Win 11 Pn a HP PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Having same EXACT problem. Any REAL solutions???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines