Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exif doesn't export even with the setting Include all the metadata

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! 

I checke a lot of post about that problem but I didn't find a solution to my problem. When I select a photo and I see the metadata, there are some information. But the moment when I export them in png (or jpeg) and I check the box Include : All metadata, when I check the png on my computer, all the informations are not there (camera, lens, focal lens, iso, etc.). Am I missing something?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

On my Windows 10 system I can see the same issue when exporting as PNG. However, the problem would appear to be the fact that File Explorer apparently does not show the EXIF metadata for PNG files, even though the metadata is correctly stored in the file. Importing the exported PNG back into Lightroom does show the correct EXIF metadata.

No issue with Jpeg files, however.....File Explorer does reveal the EXIF metadata in the exported file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the PNG image format (as an established industry standard) won't include all of the same set of metadata fields, that a JPG would.

It seems on a quick web search of the issue, that some EXIF extensions may have been now designed into the PNG standard, but that these extensions are not (as yet) well supported by software and operating systems. Maybe try the exact same export again, but selecting JPG instead, and compare.

Typically JPG will fail to include the desired data only if some other operation has happened to it along the way - or, if it has been generated in some way other than direct Export / Publish. For example: ths happens with JPG output from the Print module, which is generated as entirely 'new' image content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my Windows 10 system I can see the same issue when exporting as PNG. However, the problem would appear to be the fact that File Explorer apparently does not show the EXIF metadata for PNG files, even though the metadata is correctly stored in the file. Importing the exported PNG back into Lightroom does show the correct EXIF metadata.

No issue with Jpeg files, however.....File Explorer does reveal the EXIF metadata in the exported file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To build on the previous replies, LR exports PNGs with all the metadata placed in the XMP section of the PNG.   XMP metadata in PNGs has been defined by the XMP spec since at least 2010.  But as Jim observed, Windows File Explorer doesn't implement that.

In general, Windows File Explorer and Mac Finder are not reliable tools for inspecting metadata.  Reimporting an exported file back into LR (as Jim did) is a quickie test that's pretty good, but by far the most authoritative tool is the free Exiftool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same exporting problem on my Windows 11 machine since my LR and catalog got upgraded earlier this week (Aug 6, 2022).

I use the same export "presets" as before and yes, they include All Metadata.

It seems the darn updates break as many things as they fix... (insert crying emoticon here)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SdeGat, your screenshot doesn't show the format of the exported images (JPEG, TIFF, PNG, original).  

Also, please describe in detail how you're using whatever app or service to check whether the exported photos contain the desired metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnrellis , I saw that I was missing that info after posting but I did not find the edit button. 🤷🏻
I export to jpg and initially use a neat IOS app to add exif info to pictures but that app showed nothing available. 😕 I went back to my windows machine and saw in file explorer that there was nothing in the file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a next troubleshooting step, please select one of the problem photos in LR and do Metadata > Save Metadata To File and then export it with your usual settings.  Attach the exported version to your reply here. If the original is also a JPEG, then attach it here also. If it's a raw, then make a copy of its .xmp sidecar (which as created by Save Metadata To File), rename the sidecar to .txt, and attach it here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, thanks for following up @johnrellis. I can do all that you asked but that won't explain why this was all working until the Lightroom/catalog update, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I generally don't make assumptions about what causes unexpected behavior -- I and others have  been burned too many times. (Just a few days ago, I posted a bug report about a bug I was convinced was present only on Windows 11, not Windows 10, but then had to withdraw it, since there was a small difference in configuration between the two machines I hadn't noticed.)

Let's first confirm the details of the behavior and see if it can be reproduced on other installations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your rigor @johnrellis.  

I followed your directions and saw that all EXIF was there this time.

I did not change anything on my system and it just appeared. I don't understand.

Attached is the export from today but it seems that's not necessary anymore.

Could that be "remote healing" from you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Could that be "remote healing" from you?"

It could be the phase of the moon. 

More seriously, if you see this again, come back with the first troubleshooting step I described above, and we can dig into the details.  The process of examining the details often reveals problems or mistakes in the workflow rather than LR bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines