• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

EXIF ShutterSpeedValue after Export doesn't match

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Original RAW shows 1/64th but Adobe JPG on export shows 1/60th.

Not sure why that mismatch.

Steps to reproduce:

Import raw file

Export all metadata / jpg

Read exif info for raw and exif info for export

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

It would be useful to know:

• Which version number of LrC you are using?
  • Which RAW file (camera manufacturer) are you using?
  • Does you camera have 1/64th setting?
  • What are you using to read the shutter speed for the RAW and JPG files?

I did a quick test and was not able to replicate your finding with NEF files, using LrC 12.0.1 on Windows 10. I used EXIFTOOL to read the metadata of the files. It could be dependant on the type of RAW file.

NEF File

• [EXIF] Exposure Time : 1/60
  • [Composite] Shutter Speed : 1

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upload a raw to something like Dropbox so it can be examined.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be useful to know:

• Which version number of LrC you are using?
  • Which RAW file (camera manufacturer) are you using?
  • Does you camera have 1/64th setting?
  • What are you using to read the shutter speed for the RAW and JPG files?

I did a quick test and was not able to replicate your finding with NEF files, using LrC 12.0.1 on Windows 10. I used EXIFTOOL to read the metadata of the files. It could be dependant on the type of RAW file.

NEF File

• [Composite] Shutter Speed : 1/60

EXPORTED JPG from LrC 12.0.1

• [EXIF] Shutter Speed Value : 1/60
  • [Composite] Shutter Speed : 1/60

In LrC

• Exposure: 1/60 at f/22

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Added

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To help reproduce:

RAW File here 

1. $ exiftool -a -j -u -g1 -G0 _PAL9420.CR3

value: EXIF:ShutterSpeedValue 1/64th

2. Lightroom export image > JPG > All Metadata

3. $ exiftool -a -j -u -g1 -G0 _PAL9420.jpg

value: EXIF:ShutterSpeedValue 1/60th

Hope that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a reference to 'Stepless shutter' which you may have and enabled because of camera settings.

I downloaded a sample CR3 file and found the following references to '*hutter' which seem related to you issue.

So the question may be what is LrC using

$ exiftool -G Y-JG-CANON-EOS-R7-0002.CR3 | findstr hutter
[MakerNotes] Slow Shutter : None
[MakerNotes] Shutter Release Without Lens : Disable
[EXIF] Shutter Speed Value : 1/49
[Composite] Shutter Curtain Sync : 1st-curtain sync
[Composite] Shutter Speed : 1/50

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the question may be what is LrC using

By @DS256

Or Iridient Developer, another raw processor which uses the metadata reported for shutter speed as Lightroom Classic:

LightroomLightroomIridient DeveloperIridient Developer 

So much for a 'bug'? <g>. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And one more (buggy?) software product that reports the Shutter just like Lightroom Classic, Fast Raw Viewer:

FRV.png

Could it be the shutter really is 1/60th of a second??? ðŸ¤”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR shows 1/60th, but then the metadata reported by RawDigger shows two different values when filtering for "Shutter": 

RawDiggerRawDigger

So LR is both right and wrong (as is RD), depending on what you're viewing here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The correct thing to do would be to not alter an existing value with a new assumption. I want the data untouched and referenced correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The correct thing to do would be to not alter an existing value with a new assumption. I want the data untouched and referenced correctly.

By @defaultokpzt3ghfgqh

There is nothing incorrect. There are two metadata areas for the shutter, as shown. Nothing is being altered! I opened the raw you provided in RawDigger; it reports two different values that exist in your raw. So ask Canon what and why they are providing two different values for the shutter. LR reports one. RD reports two. It is as simple as that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EXIF:ShutterSpeedValue does not match. How is this correct?

The original data/raw is the ground truth, whether it is technically correct is not the point.

The point is the use the data from the original tag and pass it through. Not use your own assumption from other tags to infer the value of (in this example) EXIF:ShutterSpeedValue.

You're correct EXIF:ShutterSpeed does have a matching value, but that is not my concern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EXIF:ShutterSpeedValue does not match. How is this correct?

The original data/raw is the ground truth, whether it is technically correct is not the point.

The point is the use the data from the original tag and pass it through. Not use your own assumption from other tags to infer the value of (in this example) EXIF:ShutterSpeedValue.

You're correct EXIF:ShutterSpeed does have a matching value, but that is not my concern.

By @defaultokpzt3ghfgqh

Ask Canon! They provide TWO values for shutter. In the original raw data you provided! 

Of course none of this should be a concern; it's minutia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm authoring software that uses the data from the EXIF information as logic, whether minutia to you as an individual, it's a bug and it matters.

The issue is, again, not regarding the mismatching values. It's the fact that a tag with value X in the raw is replaced with value Y in the Lightroom processed version. That is wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's a bug, file a bug report. (good luck)

(And no, the value is not being replaced!)
Photoshop:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idi-p/12373403

Lightroom:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idi-p/12386373Bug

report template:

Issue: 

Photoshop version: 

Steps to reproduce:

Expected result: 

Actual result: 

And ask Canon why the discrepancy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines