• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Experiencing performance related issues in Lightroom 4.x

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else notice that lightroom 4 is slow? Ligtroom 3 always ran fast on my system but Lightroom 4 seemlingly lags quite a bit.

My system is:

2.10 ghz Intel Core i3 Sandy Bridge

8 GB Ram

640 GB Hard Drive

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 18, 2012 Dec 18, 2012

It's now impossible to see the wood for the trees in this whopping 43-page long thread.  Many of the original 4.0-4.2 performance issues have since been resolved, and it's impossible to figure out who is still having problems, and what they can try.

I've started a nice clean thread to continue this discussion for 4.3 and later. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1117506  Thanks to Bob_Peters for the suggestion.  I'm locking this one, otherwise it'll continue to get increasingly unweidly, but please f

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1716 Replies 1716
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2012 Mar 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Same here, dual or single screen doesn't matter. Performance is well below of what I got in LR3. Tried hints and tips, have a "virgin" LR4 installation now with catalog created from scratch, using DNG only, no improvement.

Andreas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2012 Mar 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read that Lr4 beta is actualy faster then the final thing?

Just had to try it out myself and yes it is! Develop module is 50% faster...

To prove again my point I did put a fresh Windows 7 on a SSD and without

any other programs (not even Office) I intaled Lr4 final and imported the

same photos from Lr4 Beta on my used and full of programs Windows 7...yet

it was slower!

So they did mess it up at some point after beta version!

Marcelo Trad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR4 is un-beleivably slow on my system, which is very robust (mac pro, dual 3ghz 9 gigs ram). LR3 ran perfectly, just made the upgrade and it looks like I will be going back until they address these perfomance issues. At this point the new version is un-usable for me. Too bad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, the library module is fine.  But develop is very slow, it's driving me crazy.  I'm using a raid and a ssd, I wish there was an upgrade I could do to speed things up but I don't really know what I could do.  As a working pro, this is really slowing down my workflow.  I really hope they fix speed problems soon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rsmith4321, what operating system are you running? I just realized that I am not on Lion which could be part of the deal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record, I'm using OSX 10.6.8 and it is pretty slow on my machine too. Dual 2.26 GHz, 8-cores, 16 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD, etc.

Lou

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I´ve Know a couple that shoot Weddings and they just bought a brand new

Lenovo i7 2nd Generation, SSD 250gb, 16gb ram, 2gb Nvidia, and lags a lot!

They are moving back to Lr3 until they solve this problem!

Marcelo Trad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR4.1 RC

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lightroom4-1.html

Library <> Develop : seems faster

Working with 2 monitors: seems useable, not as slow as LR4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

update seems to make it run a little faster. can use dual monitors now. the video playback and quick develop are working much smoother now as well. still a lag when switching over to the develop module for the first time. after the first switch it runs perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a test version available which addresses the slowness issues. Go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/4300818

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lr4.1 RC did improve some performance expecialy on develop module.

I still have some lags and slow performance when advancing

pictures...Compared to Lr3.6 and it is slower!

Work Work Work Adobe!!! we need even faster.

Marcelo Trad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing a significant improvement using 4.1 dev slider response on a macbook pro 4GB.  THANKS.

Rory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much improvement here as well! Excellent!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much better now.

With D700 and D90 RAWs almost perfect and some lags while adjusting D70 ones.

CPU usage seems to be lower - 75-80% max. so it's much better than 99-100% :-).

Ok, time for testing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the RC link, I'm going to try that now.  Hopefully it will help.  By the way I have a Core i5 3gz, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd, 4tb raid 0 made from 4 1tb drives, Windows 7x64.  I don't really know what I could upgrade to help, I'm going to up the ram to 12gb but I don't think that will really help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way I have a Core i5 3gz, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd, 4tb raid 0 made from 4 1tb drives, Windows 7x64.  I don't really know what I could upgrade to help

I'm going to up the ram to 12gb but I don't think that will really help.

a fast i7 (2600k, 8320) would make a much bigger difference

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still a lag when switching over to the develop module for the first time. after the first switch it runs perfect.

That's been that way since v.1 in 2007. No big deal, only have to wait one time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With 4.1, I'm seeing the slider lag still occur when I simultaneously have the filmstrip visible and clarity set to something other than 0.  If I either hide the filmstrip or set clarity to 0 then the lag goes away.   I can readily replicate it (Win 7).  Otherwise, it is much improved.  (Adobe has acknowledeged this problem and said it will be addressed in the official 4.1 drop).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for what its worth....  My issue with dual monitors and develop module sliders was fixed with LR4.1RC....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

updated to 4.1

(strictly Develop Moduly speaking)

i see quite obvious improvements in slider slug.... on my single monitor  i7 macbookpro, very useable on a daily basis. Great software. Really great. Absolutely love the changes.

However... On my win 7 64 bit quad home machine (my workhorse, my studio, my lifeblood), 12 gigs ram, esata and usb3 external drives, 1 gig video, with dual monitor running in loupe mode, still very painstakingly and frustratingly slow.... redraws and sliders that don't respond for seconds.... but dare I say, more useable than the version I paid 150 bucks for and didn't use. I see a bunch of people saying 4.1 fixed it for them. I'm feeling kinda bummed out. I don't mind a couple millisecond delays... but i'm huffin and puffin at anything over a second, sometimes much more, depending on NR and adjustment brush use. Obviously, I guess,  the more I work on an image to dial it in.... the more and more it starts to lag. I suspect it's just to much computing with dual monitor on.

PS. photoshop cs6 beta RAW 7 is like lightning on both machines. I mean LIGHTNING fast. Now this software is responsive. Not sure if lightroom 4 will ever achieve this speed, but this responsiveness is what I'm after in my workflow.

Dream, think, act, do, done. Move on to next photo.

Hoping for a consistent dual monitor responsiveness in 4.1 official release, but thinking I might have to wait till 4.2 or even 4.3.

Thanks to everyone on this site. Great to read everyone's thoughts about this issue. Thanks for the quick 4.1 adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mizzified,

My understanding is that you still experience the slow sliders problem on your Windows machine while using two monitors - is that right? Have you tried actually turning off the second monitor - not just in LR, but in the graphics card settings? Just wondering, since I'm also still experiencing the slow sliders with my two-monitor setup; but in my case, I don't use LR on both monitors, even though I keep both monitors activated. I haven't tried completely deactivating the other monitor yet to see if it improves the situation, but wondering if you have.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

regarding my Windows 7 64bit machine.

turning off the 2nd monitor while lightroom is open (by unselecting it in lower left corner of lightroom develop module)  improves my sluggish sliders and redraws.

I never turn my 2nd monitor off in my video card.

Lightroom 4.1 works good enough for me on single monitor... even on my windows machine. Could be quicker at times, but it's workable.

Quick update on my system: I'm useing .cr2 files from a Mark II, very big catalog, NO JPEGS. All raw files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2012 Mar 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm the user from the UK with only two gig of RAM - who never had any trouble with 3.6.

The new 4.1 seems OK once I deleted all the Camera Raw cache (using WE rather than relying on LR's preference menu) and running without the film strip. In my experience the Noise slider was what brought 4.0 to a standstill and now it slides quite smoothly. The effect of the change does not appear until the cursor leaves the slider - but I can live with that until the software team find a fix.

I'm pretty sure that LR4 produces better looking images than 3.6 so I am happy to work with it now - assuming it will get faster as the bugs get stamped on.

The best bit of news is that those of us with only two gigs don't need to rip their system apart to run LR4.

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgraded to LR 4.1RC.  Speed seems to be improved.  Slider responsiveness is very acceptable now.  Switching between modules is a bit slow on the first access but after that very acceptable.  Did have to reboot because I ran in the problem of CS5 blowing up on start after installing LR4.1 RC1.  System in Xeon 3GHz, 8GB ram Win7 Pro.  I'll update other original issues in the appropriate threads.

Overall a pretty good update for a RC1.

Tony...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2012 Mar 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lr 4.1 RC

Still something is not right - changing module from library to develop for the first time after starting program loading a picture takes 25 seconds. Same machine with Lr 3.6 only 2-3 seconds. Wierd...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines