• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Experiencing performance related issues in Lightroom 4.x

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else notice that lightroom 4 is slow? Ligtroom 3 always ran fast on my system but Lightroom 4 seemlingly lags quite a bit.

My system is:

2.10 ghz Intel Core i3 Sandy Bridge

8 GB Ram

640 GB Hard Drive

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 18, 2012 Dec 18, 2012

It's now impossible to see the wood for the trees in this whopping 43-page long thread.  Many of the original 4.0-4.2 performance issues have since been resolved, and it's impossible to figure out who is still having problems, and what they can try.

I've started a nice clean thread to continue this discussion for 4.3 and later. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1117506  Thanks to Bob_Peters for the suggestion.  I'm locking this one, otherwise it'll continue to get increasingly unweidly, but please f

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1716 Replies 1716
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2012 Sep 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dng files, but it does the same thing with JPEG and TIFF.  The sliders aren't responsive at all.  When I move the slider, it never shows up.  I have to go back to the Library module and then back to the Develop module and I have to scroll through images back and forth until I can finally get the image that I made an adjustment on to show up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the 4.2 RC then. It fixed the sluggish sliders for me on the Mac. I've actually gone back to the Mac and reinstalled the OS and all apps and at this moment LR runs quite well on the Mac. I may just give up the PC. The Mac CPU is actually slower than the PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have an incompatible or corrupt device profile on your Win 7 system. Do you use a hardware calibrator Like i1 or Spyder to create a custom display profile? If not see this link:

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/photos-appear-black-gray-rectangles.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trshaner wrote:

You may have an incompatible or corrupt device profile on your Win 7 system. Do you use a hardware calibrator Like i1 or Spyder to create a custom display profile? If not see this link:

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/photos-appear-black-gray-rectangle s.html

I use an x-rite i1 calibrator.  I also use it on the laptop to calibrate it and its' external monitor, but I leave it attached to the desktop to monitor ambient light.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

o2gallop wrote:

trshaner wrote:

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/photos-appear-black-gray-rectangle s.html

I use an x-rite i1 calibrator.  I also use it on the laptop to calibrate it and its' external monitor, but I leave it attached to the desktop to monitor ambient light.

LR4 may not be playing well with the X-rite calibration software running in the background. Try creating a new monitor profile with the i1 calibrator, but remove it from the USB port when completed. LR is very sensitive to inconsistencies with the display profile. You should also make sure your Eye One Match software 'General Options are set to create ICC v2 profiles, since LR apparently does not appear to be compatible with ICC v4 profiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trshaner, I owe you big time!  Thanks so much.  This worked

You should get 10,000 points and go to ++++ status!  I really appreciate all of the help!

Amy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear we found the culprit! If two people have near the same system specs, but only one has performance issues, then there has to be something "different." It's human nature to overlook the obvious because we are inherently blind to our own mistakes. You took the time to provide additional details to help identify the problem. As Sherlock Holmes said to Watson – "Overlook nothing, not even a lowly USB connection!"

Cheers,

TR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, excellent work indeed! Both of you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trshaner wrote:

"Overlook nothing..."

Indeed. People who say "I tried everything...", didn't/haven't .

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

|> "it worked"

So, was the problem  ICC v4, and making it ICC v2 was the key, or was the problem with the background task, and removing from USB port was the key. Note: "I don't know and I don't care" is an acceptable answer .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob Cole wrote:

|> "it worked"

So, was the problem  ICC v4, and making it ICC v2 was the key, or was the problem with the background task, and removing from USB port was the key. Note: "I don't know and I don't care" is an acceptable answer .

I had ICC v2 files.  Although I did re-profile the monitors, I think It was the background task, and removing the USB port!  Screw the ambient lighting monitoring!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

o2gallop wrote:

I had ICC v2 files.  Although I did re-profile the monitors, I think It was the background task, and removing the USB port!  Screw the ambient lighting monitoring!

thanks. i wonder how many other people are having this problem. - cheers, rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspected it was the X-Rite Eye Match software running in the background, because  ICC v4 profile should still work. But it will cause bad rendering in all versions of LR and many other applications:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4443155

At the end of the above post:

12. emil emil,

Community Member Community Member

May 27, 2012 10:45 AM in reply to sg410

sg410 wrote:

... I don't think this is a color management issue - the monitor is calibrated with a ColorMunki, and the colorspaces in all programs are ProPhoto RGB

The ColorMunki profiles are V4, ...

"In order for v4 to work correctly all profiles in the chain must be v4. Last time I checked, major profiles like ProPhoto and Adobe RGB still don't have v4 version made available, only sRGB.

Also, I'm not sure about lightroom but capture one doesn't seem to support ICC v4 yet. On the ICC site from the mentioned programs here, they list only Photoshop as a program that can deal with v4 profiles.

There should be an option in your calibration software about the ICC version of the monitor profile."

INTERNATIONAL COLOR CONSORTIUM ICC v4 specification compatible products list: http://www.color.org/productsv4.pdf

Based on this information I would steer clear of using ICC v4 display profiles with LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't think that is the problem, but I definitely appreciate you taking the time to help out. At this point I'm going to focus on getting my stuff to work on the Mac. I didn't want to use the PC anyway.

It's some obscure setting, like the Temp file redirection that was causing Bridge CS6 to quit on startup. Adobe just really dropped the ball.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2012 Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand you're annoyed, and jockeying your system around, and/or files that are critical to Lightroom, is only appropriate if you have the experience to do so, and patience, and inclination, and a bit of good luck to go with all that...

I'm not trying to say Lr4 hasn't been a problematic release for a lot of people, only that if/when it's running well, it rocks! (once you get the hang of it...).

I have no comment about how widespread are it's issues, nor biases of Lr's reviewers, nor Adobe tactics...

What I will say is that wild horses couldn't drag me back to using Lr3 (or any other raw converter on the market today - tomorrow may be a different story...).

Cheers,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slow/sometimes VERY sluggish for me also.  Have a Summer 2011 iMac i7 with 16GB RAM.  AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB Graphics card. Single monitor (27").

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2012 Sep 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2012 Sep 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm feeling sold down the river by Adobe with LR4. I don't remember reading anything before purchasing saying that I'd need a top of the line machine to run this upgrade. I do have the top of the line iMac27 with more RAM and memory than I need and it still runs slowly. My Older IMac24 that had absolutely no problems running LR3, with over 200,000 imports run's like a lame dog with LR4. I get the spinning wheel of doom trying to adjust exposure or try and crop something. I have no performance issues with any other program. Please fix it Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2012 Sep 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 7 64 bit and 8GB RAM - and LR4 is slow. LR3 was great on this system, and if I change the process version back to 2010, it's fast, but obviously that defeats the whole purpose of upgrading to LR4. Brushes and spot healing tool are almost unusable for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2012 Sep 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR4.0 and 4.1 is very, very slow. I can't believe that Adobe has done nothing to improve the speed issues since the release of LR4 and LR4.1

I think Adobe is feeling that all that pros that use LR, will go away and use some other program, perhaps Capture One from Phase One, I'm going to try it. LR 4.1 is slowing us (professionals) down to a crawl with production. It is no longer an application that can be used in a professional production workflow. It is at best, an application for the joe consumer that shoots jpegs, not RAW.

I'm using a new MacPro with these specs.

processor 2 x 2.66 GHZ 6-core Intel Xeon = 12 cores

memory 48GB 1333MHz DDR3

graphics ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024MB

startup drive is a 2TB 7200rpm with 1.65TB of free space

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it would help to quantify.

For people who have fairly normal performance (but its still slow), it may help to use

EditInLightroom if you have bunches of very hi-rez files to process. How well will it work for people who've abnormal performance? - dunno.

~R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No offense intended, but you said the same thing about LR3.3 in this post:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/776004

Did you ever resolve the issues you were having with LR3.3? If so, what was the solution(s)? If not, then you know that LR4 is only going to be worse.

Way more information is required before anyone here in the forums or at Adobe can possibly help you. What kind of image files, what resolution monitor(s), what additional external devices do you have attached, what LR operations are slow, and just how long do they take to complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture one is 50% off until sep 30th. I has taken me a bit to get used to it  but i am liking it a lot now. the interface is remarkably configurable. Only took about 20 min to put all my tools and panels exactly where they make sence fo me. Goodbye lightroom! Thank you adobe for forcing me to check out thr competition.  Fyi I have tried DxO optics,bibble, raw therapy,acdsee,and a few others. After all that I am confident with my  choice though some of the others can producd good results. C1pro has great results with smoothe workflow options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember to start whining on forum.phaseone.com when you can't recover highlights in Capture One, when you find that Phase One is much slower than Adobe to support new cameras (especially if you don't shoot Nikon/Canon), when you see how bad it is at high ISO, and when - as will be happening any day now - Capture One 7 comes out with much "better" features, making you feel stiffed by those rotten Phase One rip-off merchants...

The grass isn't always greener: http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=12840

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2012 Sep 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since light room is entirely unusable for me and I don't tend to shoot so poorly that I need "recovery" heroics....  BTW don't forget to pick up your paycheck from adobe... also your link is one comment  vs this one with 1300 + comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines