• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export settings for 16x24 canvas print

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I have a client purchasing a 16x24 canvas print through Smugmug. It is cropping the photo to where heads are cut off. What should my export settings be to make sure that the whole photo will be on the front of the canvas? 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have a client purchasing a 16x24 canvas print through Smugmug" So, is this potentially a smug mug processing issue especially if it's a stretched cavas print? Has there been allowances for the wrap-around?

" It is cropping the photo to where heads are cut off." When do you see the heads cut-off? In Smugmug processing or from LrC? If LrC do you 'Don't Enlarge' enabled? I tried it both ways and noted a difference is image sizes with the following settings. Note that if you specify "inches" then DPI is also used.

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The heads are cut off when you go to purchase the canvas print through
smugmug not in LrC. I am not sure about allowances for wrap-around.

Jessie Barr

www.madiemaephotography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your original photo is uncropped and not in a 16x24 ratio, or cropped to some other ratio than 16x24 (equivalently 2x3 or 4x6) then heads get chopped off. You have to crop properly to 16x24 before you export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The heads are cut off when you go to purchase the canvas print through smugmug not in LrC. I am not sure about allowances for wrap-around." Are the heads cut off on the face of the print or do they simply appear on the edges instead? See here for some guidelines.

" If you choose the mounted canvas, be aware that part of the image will "wrap" around the wooden frame, so keep an eye on your cropping margins so you don't lose heads, feet, etc.,"

I don't use Smugmug but have printed canvas before and you have to make allowances for the wrap. That means the print needs to be larger than 16x24 by the addition  of the wrap.

I think this is a Smugmug issue and not a LrC unless you need to create a version of the extract just for canvas wrap prints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@DS256 is correct. If you use the wrap-around canvas in smugmug (or any print service), it uses very large borders for the wraps. You need to take this into account and it shows it in the preview when you try to order.

Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 8.42.24 AM.png

Alternatively use the stretched canvas option which does not wrap around the image at all or use the thinwrap canvas which has less of an border:

Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 8.46.07 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines