• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting files - option to rename not working for "Custom Name - Original File Number" selection

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An option I regularly use when I'm editing files and then exporting them, is to name the copies with the original file name and other words to indicate it's been edited (e.g. IMG200 to Edit-IMG200). This option is no longer working in the latest version of Lightroom Classic, v12.0.1. When I try to use it, it uses the custom text I enter for the file name, but doesn't keep the original filename. e.g (e.g. IMG200 to Edit-). Please fix!

Lightroom file name error.jpg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the original file number. Are you sure the file you are exporting has a number?

I'm using the same option on the same  LR version (on Windows) and have no problems.

Thor Egil LeirtrĆø
Freelance concert photographer - thoregilphoto.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually you're partially right as it's not always happening as I initially thought and reported. I continued to do some editing and exporting after I first posted this and have since realised it's just happening for files that have been created as a merged panorama. The panorama file name contains the number of one of the files it's created from e.g. IMG_1234-pano.dng . None of that name is being carried across when I go to export it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Same thing here - no number for exported panoramas.

Thor Egil LeirtrĆø
Freelance concert photographer - thoregilphoto.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's because it's expecting a file number Suffix. The addition of the -pano means there's no number suffix, which IMHO is a painful oversight on the renaming of merged files. It's the same for -HDR files, which I use a lot for real estate and drone shots, so I see this issue as well. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Create your own preset that uses {Custom Text} - {Original File Name} or {Custom Text' - {File Name} instead of the original file number.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines